Thread: What kind of cage do you have and what all is in it?

VAgreysquirrel Guest

Default What kind of cage do you have and what all is in it?

I have a baby grey squirrel for whom I'm trying to find the perfect cage. I want something really tall with several levels so he'll be able to do a lot of climbing. I've looked at Aviary cages in addition to the chinchilla/ sugar glider/ferret cages. My husband and my dad may also be able to make something, but I'd prefer to order one so I'll have it sooner.

I'd really like to spend no more than $300 for the cage itself. I've found some really big ones on Amazon in the $150-$300 price range, but I wanted to see what everyone on here had to say/recommend. I also would love to see pictures, or at least hear details, of what all you have in your cages and how it's all set up.

Also, can anyone give me some info on squirrels using a litter box? I didn't even realize that they would do that, but saw where some people had litter boxes in the squirrel cage.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: What kind of cage do you have and what all is in it?

My little guy is in a cage like the Critter Nation small animal cage. Make sure you don't get a ferret one with wide bar spacing. The double Critter Nation cage looks like it wouldn't need any additional work.

The cage we have is Amazon Basics 3ftx2ftx2ft but had some issues like didn't come with screws and the add on cage didn't have an opening to the bottom unit. We bought hardware, cut holes, etc and modified that cage into a 3 story using a double cage and an add on. It is a few inches shorter than the ceiling. Each level has the cage bottom, a smaller level with ladder, and a ladder to the unit above it. Both doors fully open so it makes it easy to add accessories and clean.

Pipsqueek mostly uses a litter box. About 90% of the time. He has 2. One large one that is about 8x12 and one smaller 8x8'ish corner one that hooks on the cage. When he was a baby I got the smaller one and put his droppings in it regularly, kept it clean only leaving a bit of droppings in it all the time so he got the idea. Now I put some paper towel in the bottom of his boxes and he almost always uses them. There is one little corner of his cage he also goes in sometimes, but it's pretty easy to clean. The biggest clean up is his food because he sure can make a mess!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.