Thread: Squirrel bites at everyone except the 4 people in his home

VAgreysquirrel Guest

Default Squirrel bites at everyone except the 4 people in his home

9 week old grey squirrel (have had for just under a month) will not let anyone except myself, my husband, and our 2 young children handle him. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law have kept him for us several times when we went out. They love him, and have held him and played with him since we got him. They were seeing him 1-2 times a week. Then, they went about a week/week and a half with seeing him, and he bit the hell out of my sister-in-law while chattering and barking, and chattered at my mother-in-law and nipped at her. My SIL came to my house the next day to see if he'd warm back up to her in his own environment, but he acted extremely defensive, like like she was a predator.

He's nothing at all like this with the 4 of us who live here, but I'd love to see if I can get him to gradually warm back up to a few people. It would definitely be nice to have people he can stay with if we go places. Any chance of this happening? And does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve this with the least amount of anxiety for him? I'm kind of wondering how a sugar glider bonding pouch would work, not only for my family's protection, but also for his sense of security.

Default Re: Squirrel bites at everyone except the 4 people in his home

Are you planning to release him?

What you are experiencing is the case 99% of the time. Squirrels will usually tolerate only one person... it will only get worse (and more dangerous) as he matures, that is why I ask about releasing.

I recommend you review this flyer explaining squirrel behavior.
    Animals_SquirrelsAreNotPets.pdf

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

redwuff (09-25-2019), UwantSomaThis (09-25-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.