Thread: Age estimate?

Default Age estimate?

Hello lovely people, I took this adorable guy in Wednesday(9/18) night, he weighed 124g. I posted about him an recieved 2 age estimates made on 9/19 of 6-6.5 and 7.5 weeks.

Im writing up a new feed schedule with my Fox Valley and Henrys hi-protien blocks arriving today or tomorrow, I'm hoping I can get a closer age estimate so I can write everything out in advance. I have Mazuri rodent blocks available at all times, and a water bottle. Eating the goat milk, yogurt, and whipping cream formula.

He increased to 10cc every feeding Sunday(9/22) morning and weighed 136g this morning. I was feeding him every 5 hours no problem but he started calling for food before the 5 hours was up. I was feeding him during the night as well, but last night I let him sleep an have stopped night feedings. Hes told me he was hungry every 3-4 hours today. Pics and video of the little one in question.
    https://youtu.be/attRPOluRaY

Name:  DSC00353.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  115.5 KB

[Name:  DSC00354.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  116.1 KB

Name:  DSC00306.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  136.8 KB

Name:  DSC00317.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  119.0 KB

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to BlueMoon:

Nancy in New York (09-25-2019), RockyPops (09-24-2019)

Default Re: Age estimate?

He looks like 7 weeks, but he is smaller than normal and has a lot of catching up to do.
    Sounds like you have done a lot of research on this, and are doing everything correctly.
    He is lucky to have found a capable person like yourself

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

BlueMoon (09-24-2019), RockyPops (09-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    He looks like 7 weeks, but he is smaller than normal and has a lot of catching up to do.
    Sounds like you have done a lot of research on this, and are doing everything correctly.
    He is lucky to have found a capable person like yourself
    Thank you! I have been researching frantically none stop since I took him in lol, Im so glad his path crossed mine, want to make sure I do everything right for this cutiepie.
    I was guestimating 7 too, I had planned to switch him to 3x feedings today, but thinking on how hungry he was yesterday from cutting out night feedings, Im thinkin I should go by weight until he gains? So continue feeding him every 4 hours until he reaches the healthy 7 week old weight of 160g an quits telling me hes hungry as often...THEN switch him to 3 xs a day? 6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm, 10pm is what he did yesterday, though he did get hungry again at 4pm..maybe I should drop it to 3 hours? He is very frantic for food by the 4 hour mark, he was a bit more mellow about it before cutting night feeding but still had a great appetite. I just dont want to give him too much formula a day..how much is too much? Hes eating 50ml a day currently, would definately eat a bit more. I have new syringes comin in with the Foc valley an blocks, was planning on bumping him up to 10% of body weight since hes so eager and doing well so 12-13cc..that may hold him over for 4 hours but would be 60-65cc if hes still wanting food 5xs a time a day. What do you think?

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BlueMoon from:

RockyPops (09-27-2019)

Rodent / squirrel block should be introduced by now... once he is eating the squirrel block well you can start introducing healthy veggies. I usually intro block by 6 weeks and by 7 - 7.5 they are starting veggies. Solids foods and block will help with the hunger he has... here is the healthy squirrel diet chart:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

RockyPops (09-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Rodent / squirrel block should be introduced by now... once he is eating the squirrel block well you can start introducing healthy veggies. I usually intro block by 6 weeks and by 7 - 7.5 they are starting veggies. Solids foods and block will help with the hunger he has... here is the healthy squirrel diet chart:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    He's had Mazuri rodent block available at all times since I took him in a week ago. henrys hi-protien blocks arriving today an I will go ahead and offer the reccomended amount for breakfast and dinner. He munchies on the Mazuri, but is still a formula fiend. He does eat solids, hes had 3 grapes before I realized it would spoil him to not want veggies so I quit and gave him a couple green beans to see what hed do with them, will be picking up some veggies for him today. Thank you, I've already copied that chart down in his file since he can have veggies now that will keep him fuller longer, yes? How much/when to offer veggies? Between formula feeds an as much as he wants?

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to BlueMoon:

Nancy in New York (09-25-2019), RockyPops (09-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoon View Post
    He's had Mazuri rodent block available at all times since I took him in a week ago. henrys hi-protien blocks arriving today an I will go ahead and offer the reccomended amount for breakfast and dinner. He munchies on the Mazuri, but is still a formula fiend. He does eat solids, hes had 3 grapes before I realized it would spoil him to not want veggies so I quit and gave him a couple green beans to see what hed do with them, will be picking up some veggies for him today. Thank you, I've already copied that chart down in his file since he can have veggies now that will keep him fuller longer, yes? How much/when to offer veggies? Between formula feeds an as much as he wants?
    What I do when first introducing veggies is,
    I will take one or two from the chart and try that for a couple of days.
    Then I will try another, etc.
    By the time everything is said and done, I put a morning bowl in their cage with about 12 different veggies.
    That stays in there all day so they can "graze".
    Around 6:00ish, I do up a salad with all the leafy greens along with another block.

I never wean or cut back on their formula though. I will keep them on it as long as they want
    and basically as much as they want. It's the best insurance against Metabolic Bone Disease.

The only block that my squirrels will eat is the one from Henry's called the "Picky" block.

Your little one is ADORABLE!

Food bowl from this morning.
    These veggies get changed up daily, meaning I sometimes
    eliminate things from day to day, and put in different options.

Last edited by Nancy in New York; 09-25-2019 at 07:43 AM.

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

BlueMoon (09-25-2019), RockyPops (09-27-2019), Spanky (09-25-2019), WwwLllSss (11-17-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    What I do when first introducing veggies is,
    I will take one or two from the chart and try that for a couple of days.
    Then I will try another, etc.
    By the time everything is said and done, I put a morning bowl in their cage with about 12 different veggies.
    That stays in there all day so they can "graze".
    Around 6:00ish, I do up a salad with all the leafy greens along with another block.

I never wean or cut back on their formula though. I will keep them on it as long as they want
    and basically as much as they want. It's the best insurance against Metabolic Bone Disease.

The only block that my squirrels will eat is the one from Henry's called the "Picky" block.

Your little one is ADORABLE!

Food bowl from this morning.
    These veggies get changed up daily, meaning I sometimes
    eliminate things from day to day, and put in different options.

Perfect, thank you! I will buy frozen so I can try him on different kinds every couple days like you until I can make him a bowl to munch on throughout the day. Awesome, that makes me feel better knowing he can have formula when he wants without it hurting him. As of right now he's still wanting formula every 3 hours. Ate at 6am, woke up at 830 an started calling for more by 9 when he saw I wasn't getting it ready for him yet, hes training me well lol. He wasnt too keen on the green beans, hopefully he will like the other veggies I offer an keep his tummy fuller during the day.
    Thank you guys so much for your help!
    Isnt he though!? Gosh I adore him. Hes definately made a forever nest inside my heart. Already dreading and worrying about release haha. I will keep him during winter since its already getting cold at night here and were supposed to have a bad one.

QUICK QUESTION if anyone is still watching this thread
    Im cleaning out his cage an looking for new branches. He has some maple branches for climbing already that he loves to climb, turn flips on an chew, but can he have a Japanese Maple branch with the leaves that has some seed pods on it? I know in the chart it says no seed pits..so wanted to check before I put it in with him if I shouldn't put it all, put it in but remove seeds, or pur it in as is

QUICK QUESTION if anyone is still watching this thread
    Im cleaning out his cage an looking for new branches. He has some maple branches for climbing already that he loves to climb, turn flips on an chew, but can he have a Japanese Maple branch with the leaves that has some seed pods on it? I know in the chart it says no seed pits..so wanted to check before I put it in with him if I shouldn't put it all, put it in but remove seeds, or pur it in as is
    That would be fine.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

BlueMoon (09-26-2019), RockyPops (09-27-2019), WwwLllSss (11-17-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    That would be fine.
    Thank you so much

Perfect, thank you! I will buy frozen so I can try him on different kinds every couple days like you until I can make him a bowl to munch on throughout the day. Awesome, that makes me feel better knowing he can have formula when he wants without it hurting him. As of right now he's still wanting formula every 3 hours. Ate at 6am, woke up at 830 an started calling for more by 9 when he saw I wasn't getting it ready for him yet, hes training me well lol. He wasnt too keen on the green beans, hopefully he will like the other veggies I offer an keep his tummy fuller during the day.
    Thank you guys so much for your help!
    Isnt he though!? Gosh I adore him. Hes definately made a forever nest inside my heart. Already dreading and worrying about release haha. I will keep him during winter since its already getting cold at night here and were supposed to have a bad one.
    Oh one thing. Fresh veggies are what's recommended. I don't think any squirrels necessarily like or will eat frozen.
    Go to the salad bars in your grocery store and pick out a few of the options that are on the list.
    That's the cheapest way to find out what your little one likes. Keep exploring.....oh and no peppers, green or otherwise.
    I know that most squirrels love avocado and sugar snap peas, but they must be fed in moderation.
    I see you are offering Mazuri rodent block and Henry's Protein.
    His first solid food should be a good quality block that he actually eats. I get the picky blocks from Henry's
    since those are the only ones mine will eat. Try them. There are also ways of doctoring up the block
    to make them more appealing to these little ones.
    https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/
    Oh I hear you about making the forever nest in your heart. They have a way of grabbing it immediatley and never letting go.

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

RockyPops (09-27-2019), WwwLllSss (11-17-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Oh one thing. Fresh veggies are what's recommended. I don't think any squirrels necessarily like or will eat frozen.
    Go to the salad bars in your grocery store and pick out a few of the options that are on the list.
    That's the cheapest way to find out what your little one likes. Keep exploring.....oh and no peppers, green or otherwise.
    I know that most squirrels love avocado and sugar snap peas, but they must be fed in moderation.
    I see you are offering Mazuri rodent block and Henry's Protein.
    His first solid food should be a good quality block that he actually eats. I get the picky blocks from Henry's
    since those are the only ones mine will eat. Try them. There are also ways of doctoring up the block
    to make them more appealing to these little ones.
    https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/
    Oh I hear you about making the forever nest in your heart. They have a way of grabbing it immediatley and never letting go.
    Oh ok thank you I will only get fresh! The Henrys block bag said freeze immediately on it, so I did an offer him that first thing in the morning and at night and he loves it, so made me think he wouldnt mind the frozen veggies. I read on the chart you can get frozen, was going to thaw them of course before offering but they may get that soggyness an he wouldn't eat them so I will only get fresh just in case. Hes been actually eating the Mazuri now an cuttin back on formula today, hes gaining weight an has a nice body tone to him compared to before. He usually eats formula every morning at 6am on the dot an then every 3-4 hours, but today he didnt want the formula after the Henrys block until 9am. He only ate 5 ml formula an then 11ml at 12pm. He was shredding the Henry blocks at first but now he eats at least half an stores the other if he doesn't finish it. He doesn't do his frustrated stomping an calling for food, being frantic when he sees the syringe like he was before introducing the Fox Valley, Henrys blocks an actually started eating the Mazuri. I had lettuce and cabbage on hand so offered a bit of that yesterday and today and he started eating it. Going to pick up mushrooms, broccoli, brussel sprouts and cauliflower for him tonight to try throughout the next week

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BlueMoon from:

RockyPops (09-27-2019)