Thread: Greetings from Sunny Southern California!

kristie cowans Guest

Default Greetings from Sunny Southern California!

We recently had a 6-8-week-old orphaned baby gray squirrel fall out of our palm tree and into our hearts. I had read a lot of info saying they make bad pets and I had every intention of relinquishing the little pup to a wildlife rescue organization. The only problem was that in the 20 years I’ve know my husband I have always heard antidotal stories about his pet squirrel he had as a teen-and when this little girl came to us he took that as a gift from God…On relinquish day I went down to the rescue friend’s house (having already filled her in) and she looked over the baby, weighed the baby, sexed the baby (I thought she was a he) and told me I was a “good squirrel mom!” The baby that we had been taking care of for a week looked great! Instead of her taking this little baby away, she outfitted me with the correct formula and nipple/syringe system and Henrys.com to help me get started…I think this saved my marriage as I was going to make the honorable sacrifice and give the little baby to the rescue so she could be released in the wild and have a full life. The rescue friend told me that it was already too late to release the orphan to the wild as she “knew my voice” as squirrels are very smart. So here I am to learn as much as I can to keep “Sandy” as healthy and as happy as I can.

Default Re: Greetings from Sunny Southern California!

We would love to see pictures of your little blessing.

Not that this sounds like it would make a difference, but I have never heard that a squirrel acclimating to one’s voice prevents release...

Welcome! What do you want/need to know?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Mel1959 (09-25-2019)

Not surprisingly they did this, as rehabbers in this region are always overloaded with babies to raise.
    I know for when I called a rehabber once to take a baby they told me to raise it myself, amongst other things.

I'm going to send you a PM, just a little something I think you should know. DF

kristie cowans Guest

I would like to learn how to potty train my squirrel-and I have a lot of pictures, but can't figure out how to post them?

We never had any success with that, even so some say they have when the squirrel is housed in a smaller cage, which we didn't use save for when they are younger.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.