Thread: Hair loss on face/cheeks of 8 wk old gray squirrels

Acj8705 Guest

Default Hair loss on face/cheeks of 8 wk old gray squirrels

I've had Hewie and Louie for about a month now since they were 3/4 weeks old.
    They are currently being weaned little by little although I still offer FV formula 3xs a day

Both my guys have patches of fur loss on their faces.
    I'm wondering. If this is due to them rubbing their face on the ground after formula feedings or if it may be something else, and if so what if anything can be done?

Also- they boys are from the same litter but found 3 days apart- mom was hit by a car
    Louie the 1st one we started rehabbing is quite a bit larger then the second.
    By over 45 grams.

Could there be a reason for this other than the 4 day gap between the two? They're both eating/pooping/urinating and sleeping well and have recently moved to a larger enclosure - they're super happy... Wrestleing with watch other and climbing around...

Thank you in advance for any help! We just want the best for them and to prepare for release!

Default Re: Hair loss on face/cheeks of 8 wk old gray squirrels

Little guy probably had serious weight loss with several days of no intake. My guess anyway for size difference.

I don't know about hair loss.

Someone will see your post and respond. Keep checking back and pics if you have any.

Formula burn. They need to have the formula washed off their faces after each feeding or this will happen. Don't use any kind of pre-moistened baby wiped or anything, just a wet cloth. You will often find the same issue on the front legs and paws from holding the syringe themselves and slopping it all over.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Acj8705 Guest

Oh no!I wipe off what I can after feeding--- does this hurt them? The burn I mean? What can I do? Will it grow back now that they're eating predominately solids? I've got them eating mazuri rodent pellets as well as kale/broccoli/pecans/apples/ henrys picky blocks/almonds.
    I was super worried about mbd so i got a calcium powdered supplement that I lightly dust their food with once a day.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Acj8705 View Post
    Oh no!I wipe off what I can after feeding--- does this hurt them? The burn I mean? What can I do? Will it grow back now that they're eating predominately solids? I've got them eating mazuri rodent pellets as well as kale/broccoli/pecans/apples/ henrys picky blocks/almonds.
    I was super worried about mbd so i got a calcium powdered supplement that I lightly dust their food with once a day.
    Go REALLY easy on the almonds and pecans and you won't need to dust anything with calcium. The Henry's blocks will take care of that if they are eating 2 a day. Yes, the formula burn will resolve itselv when they aren't getting formula all over themselves anymore. It is basically like diaper rash of the face and hands. And I do understand. Wiping the face and hands of an 8 week old squirrel is sort of like trying to wipe off the blade of a chain saw while it is running...

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.