Thread: Feeding

Default Feeding

I ordered the Fox Valley and need to know the way to transition from esbilac to Fox Valley. Also, how much water and how much Fox Valley to mix. Thanks!

Default Re: Feeding

Transitioning between formulas is mostly about getting the squirrel to accept the new taste.
    But I have never had a problem going from Esbilac to Fox Valley. They always loved the new taste, and chugged it down greedily.
    Years ago I used to dilute it for a few feedings, but that always resulted in soft stools and diarrhea.
    So I stopped doing that, and always just swap to FV at full strength on the next feeding.
    I note that in current discussions in other forums many people have done this recently, and no one has reported any problems.

The only time you really need to 'ease' a squirrel into a formula is after hydrating.
    As you are moving them from 'not digesting' to 'digesting'.. and want to slowly introduce the process to reduce stress on the intestines.
    Swapping from one formula to another is different. Their intestines are already working full strength, so there is no reason to slow down their digestion and then start it back up.

Fox Valley is mixed at the same ratio as Esbilac powder... 1 part powder to 2 parts water.

Zoologic is the only major powdered formula that I know that is different, with a a ratio of 1 part powder to 1.5 water (2:3 ratio).