Thread: Need help with baby squirrel

scla Guest

Default Need help with baby squirrel

I'm currently rehabbing a roughly 7-8 week old grey squirrel. When I found him he only weighed under 70 grams. I've been feeding formula based on his weight and he has since gained about 10 grams in a few days. I've read that a 7-8 week old should weigh significantly more. Should I be feeding based on his age or continue to feed based on weight? Should I be feeding more than 4x a day? Also we have a fabric pouch set up in his cage with a heated water bottle and he spends almost all of his time in the pouch bundled up. Should this be concerning? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Need help with baby squirrel

Hi scia,

You want to feed based on his current weight. Squirrels are different sizes based on the area of the country. Southern squirrels are the smallest, but even still, your boy is small. Don’t worry about that, get him healthy and he will be fine. Be careful that your little guy does not have pneumonia. How much gusto does he eat with? Babies at his age should have a very healthy appetite. The fact that he is still seeking heat at his age tells me that he is still struggling and not feeling his best. Give us more information on how he is doing.

We would love to see pictures.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

We need specific info on the formula you are using, too - brand, type - you could snap a pic of the container if you wanted. We are having major issues with the formula that everyone has been using for ages right now, so this is important info for us.

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

HRT4SQRLS (09-23-2019), redwuff (09-23-2019)

scla Guest

Thank you!

He actually has a very strong appetite, he gets so excited when he sees the syringe that I have to be careful not to let him rip it out of my hands.

After I feed the 4 CCs he's immediately looking for more so that worried me that I wasn't feeding enough.

Today he actually spent a lot of time coming out of his sack and was real active exploring the cage.

I took him to spend some time in the sunlight and explore the grass and he was pretty excited playing outside so thats encouraging.

We've had a few chilly days with some chilly breezes compared to the 100 degree days that we've had lately so I'm thinking maybe thats why he's wanting to stay bundled up?

I couldn'd find Epilac locally so I got some PetAg Puppy milk replacer and have been feeding that mixed with pedialyte every few feedings.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by scla View Post
    Thank you!

He actually has a very strong appetite, he gets so excited when he sees the syringe that I have to be careful not to let him rip it out of my hands.

After I feed the 4 CCs he's immediately looking for more so that worried me that I wasn't feeding enough.

Today he actually spent a lot of time coming out of his sack and was real active exploring the cage.

I took him to spend some time in the sunlight and explore the grass and he was pretty excited playing outside so thats encouraging.

We've had a few chilly days with some chilly breezes compared to the 100 degree days that we've had lately so I'm thinking maybe thats why he's wanting to stay bundled up?

I couldn'd find Epilac locally so I got some PetAg Puppy milk replacer and have been feeding that mixed with pedialyte every few feedings.
    To start off with, your baby is adorable!
    I can't stress this enough, please do NOT let your baby outside to explore.
    We have seen horor stories on the board, of little ones being scared and taking
    off into the trees, WAY before their time. Some are so scared to come down,
    we never know what has happened to them. Secondly a hawk could scoop them
    up faster than you can blink an eye, even if you are right next to them.
    If you take the little one out, it has to be in a cage, and you need to always offer
    some sun AND some shade. They can overheat easily so shade is important.
    Also never bring a squirrel out when it's real hot and/or humid.
    I'm glad that you couldn't find the Esbilac, but the PetAg Pupply milk replacer
    is just as bad. Please switch him immediately.
    I suggest that you start the temporary goat's milk formula and then order some
    Fox Valley 20/50. The goat milk formula will be ok for now, but order the FV asap.
    https://www.henryspets.com/fox-valley-formulas/
    Also while your at it, order him some squirrel blocks. That should be his first solid food.
    You can also get those at the link I provided above. I always have great luck with my
    squirrels always eating the "picky" blocks.

You can increase his amount gradually. His tummy should feel like
    a water balloon after eating, but NOT hard.
    Remember any increase has to be done gradually so as not to cause other
    issues. I would suggest ~ .5-1 for ~ 3 feedings and see how that works.
    If he does fine with that then up it a little more after that, etc.
    For now stick with the 7% of his body weight, once you get him up to the 7%.
    For a little one weighing 80 grams 7% would be 5.6 mls of formula.
    I would try to feed him 5 times a day if possible.
    We can increase after that if he is still hungry.

LINK TO THE HEALTHY DIET
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    TEMPORARY GOAT'S MILK FORMULA:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
    This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
    This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
    Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Grinderhead (09-23-2019), RockyPops (09-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    [B]To start off with, your baby is adorable!
    [/B]I can't stress this enough, please do NOT let your baby outside to explore.
    If you take the little one out, it has to be in a cage, and you need to always offer
    Fox Valley 20/50. The goat milk formula will be ok for now, but order the FV asap.
    Also while your at it, order him some squirrel blocks. That should be his first solid food.
    You can also get those at the link I provided above. I always have great luck with my

LINK TO THE HEALTHY DIET
    I can't agree more. My three year old ran up a palm tree that a couple of Hawks frequent. Between that and other squirrels and with his disability he was too terrified to come down. An extension ladder and hoisting his travel cage up to him was the only way!

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Puppy Chuck's Mama:

Nancy in New York (09-23-2019), redwuff (09-23-2019), RockyPops (09-23-2019)

scla Guest

To start off with, your baby is adorable!
    I can't stress this enough, please do NOT let your baby outside to explore.

LINK TO THE HEALTHY DIET

Thank you for all of the info I'm going to order the formula and the blocks now!

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to scla:

Nancy in New York (09-24-2019), RockyPops (09-23-2019)

I couldn'd find Epilac locally so I got some PetAg Puppy milk replacer and have
    been feeding that mixed with pedialyte every few feedings.
    Never mix with or add pedialyte to formula.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Nancy in New York (09-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Never mix with or add pedialyte to formula.
    Good catch stepnstone.

I'm currently rehabbing a roughly 7-8 week old grey squirrel. When I found him he only weighed under 70 grams. I've been feeding formula based on his weight and he has since gained about 10 grams in a few days. I've read that a 7-8 week old should weigh significantly more. Should I be feeding based on his age or continue to feed based on weight? Should I be feeding more than 4x a day? Also we have a fabric pouch set up in his cage with a heated water bottle and he spends almost all of his time in the pouch bundled up. Should this be concerning? Thanks in advance!
    Thank you!

Scia, we are having horrible bad problems with the PetAg formulas. Please order fox valley 20/50 from Henry’s Healthy Pet and feed that to him.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Thank you for all of the info I'm going to order the formula and the blocks now!

Perfect. Let us know when your order comes in, and we'll help you with the transition.
    Are you feeding the goat's milk now, or is he still on the PetAg Puppy milk replacer?

scla Guest

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Scia, we are having horrible bad problems with the PetAg formulas. Please order fox valley 20/50 from Henry’s Healthy Pet and feed that to him.
    Thanks, thankfully I made it to this forum lol, I've switched to the goat milk formula until i get the fox valley in.

scla Guest

Perfect. Let us know when your order comes in, and we'll help you with the transition.
    Are you feeding the goat's milk now, or is he still on the PetAg Puppy milk replacer?

I will, thank you. Yes I switched him over that following morning. Thanks again!

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to scla from:

Nancy in New York (09-25-2019)

scla Guest

Before the fox valley came in I stumbled on your post in the thread about transitioning them over. He didn't care for it at first buy we've successfully transitioned him over to the fox valley. He really started packing on weight since we first found him to about 125+ grams or so now. How will I know when its time to start weaning?

Thanks for your help!

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to scla:

Nancy in New York (10-08-2019), RockyPops (10-07-2019)

I believe you let them wean themselves. Let them have formula as long as they will take it.

Have you tried any blocks yet?

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Nancy in New York (10-08-2019), Spanky (10-07-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.