Thread: New Squirrel Rehabber Need Advice ASAP

sparks Guest

Default New Squirrel Rehabber Need Advice ASAP

I found a baby about 12 hours ago and after EXTREME research, and lots of deep tunnel searches of videos, articles and reading almost EVERY thread on this website; I have discovered that she is about three weeks old and extremely dehydrated. She seems to have pneumonia, although I haven't gotten to feed her yet. She has a very distinct clicking while breathing and it seems labored but fast paced. I administered a wide spectrum antibiotic because it is what I had on hand. (I've weighed her about .7 grams, and taken into account the appropriate amount of antibiotics to give her.) She seems to have a tad bit more energy than before but still won't take any food. I've been giving her drops of Pedialyte until she drinks almost a full syringe. Which is also how I administered the diluted antibiotics. Her breathing is still labored. She's too small and can't retain her body heat so we're cuddled up right now with a heating pad on my stomach and her laying down. Once I'm more comfortable that she will make it she will have her own place but right now I'm almost too worried to put her down. I've been attempting to feed her every 30 mins to an hour. But no luck. I've diluted the food. I bought it from PetSmart. It's not the brand that's been having problems but claims to be the "equivalent" of. I need some tips on how to get little Kiwi (which I literally just now decided is her name) to get more comfortable, and start eating. One other concern I have is that unlike any other squirrel I've seen pictures of she won't sleep in a ball, but rather just sleeps on her stomach with her paws flat on the ground. I assume it might be to get some of the pressure off of her lungs.

She was found with a brother but he was not alive when I found him. I assume if I had waited any longer she wouldn't be either.

BASICALLY MY QUESTIONS ARE:
    1.) How long should it take for the antibiotics to kick in?
    2.) Is there anything other than antibiotics I should give her to help her pneumonia?
    3.) Is it possible that they were left by their mother because something was wrong with her? Like her brother?
    4.) ANY ADVICE WHAT-SO-EVER would be greatly appreciated.

sparks Guest

Default Need help ASAP Baby Grey

I found a baby about 12 hours ago and after EXTREME research, and lots of deep tunnel searches of videos, articles and reading almost EVERY thread on this website; I have discovered that she is about three weeks old and extremely dehydrated. She seems to have pneumonia, although I haven't gotten to feed her yet. She has a very distinct clicking while breathing and it seems labored but fast paced. I administered a wide spectrum antibiotic because it is what I had on hand. (I've weighed her about .7 grams, and taken into account the appropriate amount of antibiotics to give her.) She seems to have a tad bit more energy than before but still won't take any food. I've been giving her drops of Pedialyte until she drinks almost a full syringe. Which is also how I administered the diluted antibiotics. Her breathing is still labored. She's too small and can't retain her body heat so we're cuddled up right now with a heating pad on my stomach and her laying down. Once I'm more comfortable that she will make it she will have her own place but right now I'm almost too worried to put her down. I've been attempting to feed her every 30 mins to an hour. But no luck. I've diluted the food. I bought it from PetSmart. It's not the brand that's been having problems but claims to be the "equivalent" of. I need some tips on how to get little Kiwi (which I literally just now decided is her name) to get more comfortable, and start eating. One other concern I have is that unlike any other squirrel I've seen pictures of she won't sleep in a ball, but rather just sleeps on her stomach with her paws flat on the ground. I assume it might be to get some of the pressure off of her lungs.

She was found with a brother but he was not alive when I found him. I assume if I had waited any longer she wouldn't be either.

2.) Is there anything other than antibiotics I should give her to help her pneumonia?
    3.) Is it possible that they were left by their mother because something was wrong with her? Like her brother?

Default Re: New Squirrel Rehabber Need Advice ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by sparks View Post

What is the name of the antibiotic and what milligram is it? How much are you giving her and how often?
    Can you find a rehabber near you?
    0.7g seems wrong. Does she weight 7g?
    What brand of formula from PetSmart? Can you post a photo of the product?

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Asos:

HRT4SQRLS (09-22-2019), Nancy in New York (09-22-2019)

Default Re: Need help ASAP Baby Grey

Welcome to The Squirrel Board

Here is a link that will help. It is 6 pages long.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-caring-...baby-squirrel/

Your weight sounds wrong. Please check the weight. 0.7g couldn’t possible be correct for a squirrel. A newborn pinky would be around 15g usually a little more. Usually a 3 week old is around 40-60g in the south. Which antibiotic do you have? We can dose it for you. You are right about the click. It does indicate pneumonia. Often you will see improvement in 18-24 hrs IF it’s the correct antibiotic.

No, the mother didn’t abandon them because they were sick. More than likely the mother was killed and never returned to the babies. When they get desperate they will leave the nest and fall onto the ground. It sounds like the babies have been without mom for a while.

Often it is difficult to get them to suckle. When they get the hang of the nipple they latch on anxious to eat. They seem to like the homemade hydration fluid better than store bought Pedialyte.
    Get them hydrated and proper antibiotics onboard is CRITICAL at this time.

We can help.

Default Re: New Squirrel Rehabber Need Advice ASAP

I responded to the other thread.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Nancy in New York (09-22-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.