Thread: Closed Head Injury, Hand Injury - Juvenile Gray Squirrel

Hecallsmedevilwoman Guest

Default Closed Head Injury, Hand Injury - Juvenile Gray Squirrel

Hello! First post. I'm a new rehabber. I have a juvenile gray with a closed head injury. He's walking in circles and has an injured front paw. I have access to both prednisone and tramadol. I am looking for help with dosages for both. I have yet to get a weigh for him but will post back here when I do. Thank you and I appreciate the squirrel board - great resource!

Default Re: Closed Head Injury, Hand Injury - Juvenile Gray Squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by Hecallsmedevilwoman View Post
    Hello! First post. I'm a new rehabber. I have a juvenile gray with a closed head injury. He's walking in circles and has an injured front paw. I have access to both prednisone and tramadol. I am looking for help with dosages for both. I have yet to get a weigh for him but will post back here when I do. Thank you and I appreciate the squirrel board - great resource!
    You have both of what's needed, the sooner you can get a weight to get started on pred the better.
    Examine the (closed) head injury carefully to try and determine if there is infection it could be hiding.
    Please post a picture of this baby for eyes on assessment.

Attaching link to baby squirrel care, please note Esbilac warning banner on TSB home page.
    Go to this link this is a HUGE help.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Hecallsmedevilwoman Guest

Default Re: Closed Head Injury, Hand Injury - Juvenile Gray Squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    You have both of what's needed, the sooner you can get a weight to get started on pred the better.
    Examine the (closed) head injury carefully to try and determine if there is infection it could be hiding.
    Please post a picture of this baby for eyes on assessment.

Attaching link to baby squirrel care, please note Esbilac warning banner on TSB home page.
    Go to this link this is a HUGE help.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/
    Thank you for the reply. I've noted the Esbilac warning and have enough experience with healthy babies to feel comfortable helping this one. She is doing well, showing marked improvement in front paw and some improvement in neuro symptoms. She's eating very well and staying hydrated. Will continue treatment and consult my local mentor for guidance. TY for the link to Henry's. Will pass along the knowledge when I get calls for babies.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Hecallsmedevilwoman from:

Nancy in New York (09-23-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.