Thread: Bot Fly wounds

Default Bot Fly wounds

Hi guys
    I took in a large transport of hurricane displaced squirrels. Some were able to move into outside pre release. I’ve checked them daily and laid eyes on them but they were shy and I didn’t force them fully out for an all over body inspection.
    Today i went out to clean their box after the first week and found one had extreme bot fly trauma. I removed 2 large ones and a third looked like the bot had already exited. The first wound was on the cheat and once removed, the wound bubbled with each breath.
    Her left front arm is laid open with view of the muscle. I believe the bot is gone from that area. The lower left arm had a bot I removed but now the arm is so swollen she can’t use it. I have started antibiotics and given metacam but these wounds are some of the worst I’ve seen. Is there anything else I can do to save this girl? She can’t hold her food and the wounds are so severe I’m not sure she can recover.

***GRAPHIC PHOTO***

Name:  E378E419-5C31-4E24-A27A-FDEAFB689F32.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  78.3 KB bicep

Name:  FBCBA775-ADA6-4307-8A0E-57CE3C98A694.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  72.9 KB forearm

Name:  ED9E6824-51BC-4EDF-9F6A-0FD404016B5F.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  104.2 KB Chest

Default Re: Bot Fly wounds

Poor babies. They are bad here in N. Alabama as well. I feel so sorry for them. But after they drop out, most seem to recover quickly.

You can flush the wounds with diluted betadyne.
    Also, which antibiotic are you using?

The one that is bubbling... are you sure there isn’t another bot down deeper in the hole. Some holes have multiple larvae in them. The first bot I ever saw was bubbling. It was on the shoulder. I had no idea what it was until I did research. Then I about freaked out.
    I have to assume it is another bot because if there is a perforating wound to the chest she probably won’t survive. I can’t imagine that a bot would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    You can flush the wounds with diluted betadyne.
    Also, which antibiotic are you using?

The one that is bubbling... are you sure there isn’t another bot down deeper in the hole. Some holes have multiple larvae in them. The first bot I ever saw was bubbling. It was on the shoulder. I had no idea what it was until I did research. Then I about freaked out.
    I have to assume it is another bot because if there is a perforating wound to the chest she probably won’t survive. I can’t imagine that a bot would do that.
    Agree. I did clavamox. And some metacam for good measure. I actually smeared some cream over 2 places I thought may still have bots. Not sure how to access the deeper one though.....?
    I’m beginning to think there is a 3rd in the arm. I’m concerned about the bicep being laid open like that too.
    I have some medicated drying powder for weeping wounds. Bro-Predef. Worth a try?