Thread: How much calcium should I add to the formula?

Default How much calcium should I add to the formula?

Some background: A family member found a baby boy squirrel in a storm when some feral cats were trying to snatch him up. He showed some lameness in his back left leg, but otherwise appeared fine. He opened his eyes a week later, on 9/12. We expected his activity levels to go up, as they did with our last batch of orphan babies, but he had a hard time getting around. Then his other back leg went limp. We immediately suspected MBD instead of an injury like we first thought, and started him on tums until the calcium supplement arrived. It got here today, but the dosing instructions say to add 1/2 a teaspoon into a pound of food. How much should I add to his formula? He takes about 13-14ml a feeding, and we make enough to last about a day and a half. He weighs 142g as of this morning, and is on 75% fox valley 20/50 25% puppy esbilac while we switch him to 100% fox valley formula.

He has shown more mobility in his back legs since we started on the tums, so I just want to keep things moving in the right direction. We purchased exotic nutrition brand squirrel-cal.

Thank you in advance!

Default Re: How much calcium should I add to the formula?

Is there anything else on the package to indicate what the strength is? A serving size chart or anything?

I don't know anything about this product and my issue is more with the magnesium added to it. It isn't much but it is there. I am going to run it by someone who knows a little more about it.

If this is like other calcium carbonate powders, you would add 1/16th of a teaspoon to the total daily amount that you feed. If you only have measuring spoons that go down to 1/4 tsp, measure that, level it, dump it on a smooth surface and divide in equal quarters. Those 4 little piles will be about 85mg of calcium each.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Bthewolf (09-19-2019), Scooterzmom (09-19-2019)

Name:  20190918_184638.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  64.3 KB This is the ingredients list. It doesn't give any dosing info other than the 1/2 teaspoon per pound of food or "sprinkle a pinch on your squirrel's food daily"

Lord. Do yourself a favor and don't buy from these folks anymore. Their food and stuff is of really low quality. You can get what you need squirrel-wise from www.henryspets.com. Because they use human grade supplements, you have a full breakdown of everything they offer. I will let you know as soon as I get an answer on the magnesium.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Bthewolf (09-19-2019)

Thank you. We ordered the Henry's brand

When you need to buy calcium powder over the counter you can usually find it at a health food store. This is the brand I buy.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    When you need to buy calcium powder over the counter you can usually find it at a health food store. This is the brand I buy.
    Do you get that at a chain of some kind? I have scoured the health food places and none of them have straight CC.