Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MBD 7wk treatment baby keep vomiting

Default Re: MBD 7wk treatment baby keep vomiting

Thank you So so so much- he is still lethargic. He has kept down the goat formula recipe. I am returning the esbilac goat formula I purchased yesterday. I’m attaching picture from this morning. He is messy from vomiting but I don’t want to do anything but wipe him with a warm rag yet.
    Should I give him low doses of calcium? Or?? Is there good calcium in the goat recipe? Name:  EABDF9FA-2858-417F-81DE-FAB211463F2D.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  67.5 KB

If he has had so much calcium that he was vomiting from it, I would give him a rest from it. Let me read your thread again.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Can you give us a weight on this guy and more information concerning feeding amts and times. He does look thin and dehydrated. Has he been a good eater up till now?. How often are you feeding? Are his eyes open yet? Any chance he has aspirated. Have you ordered Fox Valley 20/50 for his continuing diet. I think he is 6 weeks (so his eyes should be open).

The most important question here is .....is there any chance he might have aspirated (blown milk out of his nose). If so he must be on antibiotics for that. He seems very lethargic but that also could be the picture. Listen to his lungs by putting his side to your ear and see if he has a crackle in his lungs, or a click with breathing.

What are you using to feed him with. Would you take a picture of it please.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

lukaslolamaus (09-18-2019)

Since he is tolerating the goats milk formula, slowly increase your feeding amount until you get back to normal, which should be 5-7% of his body weight (i.e., 100 gram squirrel would get between 5 and 7cc of formula per feeding).

Redwuff, this little one also could have aspirated vomit.. I am hoping he just feels like crap because he is hungry and empty from throwing up...

Littleman, can you get your hands on any antibiotics? He may not need it but it would be nice to have them. Look specifically for Cipro. It is used pretty universally for urinary tract infections which means that female friends may have leftovers. You would only need one pill, his weight in grams, the size of the pill in milligrams, and a 1cc syringe. Augmentin is another good med. It goes under many different names - look for something that has "amoxi" and "clav" in the name.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Please tell me how I should or should not add calcium for little man? He has not vomited since 7pm last night - ate fairly well.

Have you added the extra calcium to the formula as directed in the fortified formula recipe?
    Post #15

Quote Originally Posted by lukaslolamaus View Post
    Have you added the extra calcium to the formula as directed in the fortified formula recipe?
    Post #15
    Sounds like you guys have a plan... I’ll just read
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    I reached out to 4skwerlz yesterday for help, and she suggested the fortified formula.
    My MBD patients were much older and I didn't know how else to help the little dude.

We will take YOUR help any time!

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

redwuff (09-18-2019)

I did not add the calcium because at the time I just had tums and there was a question if that caused the vomiting. I will add to formula. Should I still hold off on giving it to him directly since it did cause a lot of vomiting. He is lethargic, but eating. Not dragging legs as bad. Burst of energy and then sleeps. I did have him in the sun this morning for an hour while he slept. He is back on heating pad, mostly because I was trying to get vomit off his chest and belly and he was wet. He is still crusty-ish but I’m not going to bathe him quite yet unless you think I should. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all your help and concern! PS I posted the esbilac problem on my Facebook and I know now of two others who may have issues and didn’t know of the issue who may be joining site. I feel horrible for everyone who is unaware and is unknowingly harming these little guys- just like I did 😭

Can you give us a weight on this guy and more information concerning feeding amts and times. He does look thin and dehydrated. Has he been a good eater up till now?. How often are you feeding? Are his eyes open yet? Any chance he has aspirated. Have you ordered Fox Valley 20/50 for his continuing diet. I think he is 6 weeks (so his eyes should be open).

The most important question here is .....is there any chance he might have aspirated (blown milk out of his nose). If so he must be on antibiotics for that. He seems very lethargic but that also could be the picture. Listen to his lungs by putting his side to your ear and see if he has a crackle in his lungs, or a click with breathing.

What are you using to feed him with. Would you take a picture of it please.

Ok so I attached picture- he was eating fairly well has been wobbly and loosing appetite for over a week. He is now eating slowly about 5-10ml every couple hours. He very well could have aspirated when he vomited, I did see some come out of his nose and he sneezes since then a few times. ???
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Littleman, since this guy is clearly having problems with the Tums, and because it is nearly impossible to find calcium without vitamin D added anywhere but online, I would do this if I were you:

Go to www.henryspets.com. I am going to spend some of your money!

First, purchase a bag of Fox Valley 20/50 formula. Make sure it is the 20/50.

Then, go to the supplements section and buy one of the small packets of the Henrys calcium carbonate. It is a white powder, just calcium, no flavor. Very inexpensive.

Go to the Squirrel diets section and get a bag of the Henry's food. I would strongly recommend either a bag of the "Picky Bites" or the new "Hazelnut" flavor, which mine have just swooned over. This food is designed to help combat MBD by the way.

Then look around - she has all sizes of feeding syringes, nipples, everything you need for squirrels.

I would hold off giving him any more Tums at this point. In the unlikely chance you stumble on plain calcium without Vitamin D, let us know and we can help you get the proper amount added to the goats milk formula.

When your order comes in, he will probably be able to be transitioned to the 20/50 formula, and you can supplement it with a small amount of the calcium you order. I don't think you will need to do that for more than a couple weeks - the Fox Valley and the Henry's food are all properly supplemented.

When you place your order, there is a place to put a comment - tell them you are a TSB person with an Esbilac MBD baby and to ship ASAP. They are very fast about shipping, but the woman who IS Henry's is very involved with all of this - she is the one who came up with the new goats milk formula, along with a vet, and knows just exactly what you are facing. You can call them, too - she may have some other suggestions for you.

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Littleman (09-18-2019), lukaslolamaus (09-18-2019), redwuff (09-18-2019)

I did not order FV yet- I am leaving town for my neurologist and neurosurgeon appointment in Oregon - I am afraid delivery would get here and then it would sit outside for a week. He really likes the goat formula... would that not be sufficient until I return? I am hoping someone with experience can fill in when I am gone. I had a brain aneurysm and spine surgery I cannot miss these appointments or I would be no good to him. bad bad timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
    I did not order FV yet- I am leaving town for my neurologist and neurosurgeon appointment in Oregon - I am afraid delivery would get here and then it would sit outside for a week. He really likes the goat formula... would that not be sufficient until I return? I am hoping someone with experience can fill in when I am gone. I had a brain aneurysm and spine surgery I cannot miss these appointments or I would be no good to him. bad bad timing.
    It looked as though you had one of our members here lined up to help with that - I hope. If so, his switch to the FV could be done then. Do you have or have you ordered plain calcium yet or do you only have the Tums?

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Nancy in New York (09-18-2019), Spanky (09-18-2019)

If you order it from Henry's today it should arrive Friday... Saturday at the latest.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Nancy in New York (09-18-2019)

Ok so I attached picture- he was eating fairly well has been wobbly and loosing appetite for over a week. He is now eating slowly about 5-10ml every couple hours. He very well could have aspirated when he vomited, I did see some come out of his nose and he sneezes since then a few times. ???
    That syringe (10ml) is too big, huge aspiration risk. Please try to get 1ml or 3ml syringes for feeding.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

CritterMom (09-18-2019)

I ordered from Henry’s FV - calcium and syringes as well as blocks- I am SO GLAD I called them super super awesome! Thank you guys!

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Littleman:

lukaslolamaus (09-18-2019), redwuff (09-18-2019)

The only antibiotic I have at the moment is Metronidazole 250mg- I can ask for another if you don’t think this is appropriate for him- from vet for a dog if that matters

A lot is going on right now with a lot of information coming in. Hang in there. We don’t want to overwhelm you. You have done a great job and thank you for having an open mind and allowing us to help you. Once you are on the right track everything will die down to a dull roar.

If there is anyway you can get this baby to Spanky, you will be getting him to one of the best. It sounds like you have had some pretty major and scary health issues. I’m so glad you’re hopefully on the other side of them. Prayers for safe and successful follow up.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

The only antibiotic I have at the moment is Metronidazole 250mg- I can ask for another if you don’t think this is appropriate for him-
    Not appropriate at all. Sorry.

Best is Baytril/Cipro or Clavamox/augmentin.

As Crittermom said Cipro is often used for UTI’s so women often have some lying around.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast