Thread: Found baby that cat or dog brought, help

allcreatures Guest

Default Found baby that cat or dog brought, help

I found a 5 week old baby at my doorstep this morning brought by my dog or cat. I have him on a heating bad. I don't see blood but one eye appears stuck open and the other was closed. He is curled up. I know one side of his body works because he was scratching. It has been a while since I had a squirrel, and I see the milk I use to use is having issues. What brand do I get? I will get Pedialyte first. If there is a feeding chart please send me a link also. Do you think he is partially paralyzed? Thanks

Default Re: Found baby that cat or dog brought, help

Go here - best fast step by step for baby care you can find - it is six pages. Ignore the formula info only: https://www.henryspets.com/1-caring-...baby-squirrel/

For formula you have a choice - you can make your own using goats milk (fresh or dried), yogurt and heavy cream. If you have a pet store or Tractor Supply it is possible that you can get the old Esbilac that did not have the problems. They don't turn over their stock as quickly as Amazon does. The "old" Esbilac has an American flag that says "Made in the US" on the label. The "new" (bad) Esbilac has a little badge that says "Crafted in the US" I have found more of the old stuff in my local stores than the new, so there is a good chance you will too.

[B][I][FONT=Book Antiqua]

If you decide to make your own with goats milk, I can tell you that Walmart usually has the dry version in their baking aisle sitting with the evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk. If you go this route, let us know and we can give you the recipe.

At 5 weeks, eyes are just opening - the one that isn't may just not be quite ready yet. Baby needs to be warmed, hydrated and fed to get on the road to recovery now and so that things like ability to move properly can be evaluated.

Warm first

Hydrate next for several times more if needed depending on baby’s condition

Start transitioning to goats milk formula:-3 parts goat milk, 1 part full fat yogurt, 1 part heavy whipping creme

Order fox valley 20/50 from Henry’s Healthy Pet to transition to once it comes in.

Get some Clavamox/augmentin or Baytril/Cipro for possible cat bites. Also get infant ibuprofen for inflammation and pain. We can dose once you get a weight on the baby.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

CritterMom (09-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by allcreatures View Post
    If there is a feeding chart please send me a link also.
    Name:  FormulaFeedingChart.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  63.7 KB

Members who have read this thread: 7