Thread: Question about a friendly/scarred Squirrel and me

onedesigner87 Guest

Default Question about a friendly/scarred Squirrel and me

So the other night I was taking a nap on my bed when i kept hearing scurrying outside my window. I have a windows air conditioner and turns out a younger squirrel got stuck between the window frame and the glass window. I stupidly opened the window and tried to open the screen so he could get out. I guess he freaked out and ran inside my bedroom. I tried to catch him to no avail as he was hiding in small spots in my room. Eventually I left a window open and left my room. Later that night I noticed I had a small scarp on my arm and my knee had a nice round sore(rug I think). I panicked and went to the ER for a Rabies shot. The next day I worked from home and left my window open and he ended up finding his way out, but after pushing over an expensive xbox controller and my keyboard. He now sometimes watches me when i leave the house and will stand on my air conditioner wondering how to get in.

I have 2 questions. What can i do to prevent him from getting stuck again? Is there any material i can use to shove in the spot I believe he got stuck so i dont have to open my window?

And second, is it true squirrels dont often carry rabies? Did I overreacting to getting the vaccine? I have to go back in a few days to get my 3rd shot and my dad doesnt think I should go back but I am hesitant.

Thank you!

Default Re: Question about a friendly/scarred Squirrel and me

Quote Originally Posted by onedesigner87 View Post
    So the other night I was taking a nap on my bed when i kept hearing scurrying outside my window. I have a windows air conditioner and turns out a younger squirrel got stuck between the window frame and the glass window. I stupidly opened the window and tried to open the screen so he could get out. I guess he freaked out and ran inside my bedroom. I tried to catch him to no avail as he was hiding in small spots in my room. Eventually I left a window open and left my room. Later that night I noticed I had a small scarp on my arm and my knee had a nice round sore(rug I think). I panicked and went to the ER for a Rabies shot. The next day I worked from home and left my window open and he ended up finding his way out, but after pushing over an expensive xbox controller and my keyboard. He now sometimes watches me when i leave the house and will stand on my air conditioner wondering how to get in.

I have 2 questions. What can i do to prevent him from getting stuck again? Is there any material i can use to shove in the spot I believe he got stuck so i dont have to open my window?

And second, is it true squirrels dont often carry rabies? Did I overreacting to getting the vaccine? I have to go back in a few days to get my 3rd shot and my dad doesnt think I should go back but I am hesitant.

Thank you!

First off. I'd like to see a picture of this squirrel to determine age to see if it's trying to seek help and needs intervention.
    Second. Squirrels are not a rabies vector species! A squirrels immune system can not support the virus and even if it were to be attacked by a rabid animal and "somehow" manage to temporary survive, survival would be short lived. In other words it wouldn't still be at your window, it would be dead by now.
    You can purchase a wire called "Hardware cloth" from Home depot, Lowes and many other hardware stores and fasten over the area of concern to keep the squirrel out.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

redwuff (09-17-2019)

onedesigner87 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

First off. I'd like to see a picture of this squirrel to determine age to see if it's trying to seek help and needs intervention.
    Second. Squirrels are not a rabies vector species! A squirrels immune system can not support the virus and even if it were to be attacked by a rabid animal and "somehow" manage to temporary survive, survival would be short lived. In other words it wouldn't still be at your window, it would be dead by now.
    You can purchase a wire called "Hardware cloth" from Home depot, Lowes and many other hardware stores and fasten over the area of concern to keep the squirrel out.
    Thank you. I do have a picture of him however its through a screen window. I will try to grab a better one tomorrow.

Second off that is good to know. Looks like I panicked a bit about getting the shot. Although everyone told me to do it as better safe than sorry. No I am just worried about what insurance will say.

I will try to grab a picture tomorrow. Tonight when I left to the house to get something to eat, he was on the roof looking at me. As well as his buddy that he plays with I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by onedesigner87 View Post
    Thank you. I do have a picture of him however its through a screen window. I will try to grab a better one tomorrow.
    Second off that is good to know. Looks like I panicked a bit about getting the shot. Although everyone told me to do it as better safe than sorry. No I am just worried about what insurance will say.
    I will try to grab a picture tomorrow. Tonight when I left to the house to get something to eat, he was on the roof looking at me. As well as his buddy that he plays with I guess.
    Better safe then sorry need to educate themselves. I would think the health department or CDC would have been the better resource.
    As far as the insurance, just pray they cover it! I was inoculated (6 injections) for rabies last year out of our ER, that price tag was over
    ten thousand dollars!

Something is really not sounding right here, squirrels usually go in around dusk and don't roam around at night.
    Orphaned babies/young may and his "buddy" may be a sibling. Trying to get into the window, hanging out on the
    roof is another curiosity. Could you have a nest up there or in attic maybe that they are trying to get back to?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

redwuff (09-17-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.