Thread: Age Help/Help in General Please

BlueEyedChica Guest

Default Age Help/Help in General Please

I have had my (what I believe is) boy for 2 weeks now. He’s had a very traumatic beginning. I’ve been feeding him in accordance to his weight (last week 226 grams) we weigh in again tomorrow. I tried going to our local zoo rehabilitation and they said they’d just put him down, maybe it’s my hormones, but I just couldn’t do it.
    A ladies dog got him and broke his leg and while putting said dog away a neighbor cat found him. My vet splinter him but it slid and the bone started trying to break through, so we removed it knowing he will have a forever home with us.
    He was and is thriving very well so we wanted to give him a chance at a life. We still just can’t situate on an age. He is munching on Henry’s Hi-Protein Squirrel blocks and we just introduced veggies today (he LOVES them). I want to introduce a water source but I worry about his bandage getting wet and making his tissue friable. We are almost 5 days post operation. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Name:  F0452DB3-2188-426C-ACE0-4D302BBF9029.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  104.7 KBName:  39E942A7-3FCE-4AE9-82D6-632234B4C2AF.jpg
Size:  85.9 KBName:  9530AB24-DEBD-4B30-9106-C81458AA3021.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  82.6 KBName:  F034C531-75C6-4683-9CBD-DA46DE6E9F5B.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  77.7 KBName:  4446FE7B-59B8-4FA3-9306-088C114A9659.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  59.3 KBName:  69FEB9DE-B9D3-49FF-A862-D7DD38E62965.jpg
Size:  99.7 KB

Default Re: Age Help/Help in General Please

He looks young enough to still be on formula. Did you find him with eyes closed? How long has he been in your care?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Are you giving any fluids to him? Henry’s is a good source of food. I see you have had him for two weeks.

Thank you for taking on this boy. He really needs a lot of love
    redwuff
    State Licensed

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

BlueEyedChica Guest

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    He looks young enough to still be on formula. Did you find him with eyes closed? How long has he been in your care?
    No his eyes were open when we got him. We just passed 2 weeks of having him. He is definitely still on formula. I’m just adding new things since he has started nibbling on stuff.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BlueEyedChica from:

redwuff (09-16-2019)

I would guess his age to be betw 7.5 -8.5 weeks. He must have just opened his eyes when you found him. What formula do you have him on?

Looks like you have done terrific with him. For all his trauma, he looks healthy and bright eyed. I am concerned at the location where they took his leg off. Usually they take it off at the hip. Watch to see that his stump stays healthy.

I think he could go either way for a little bit longer concerning a water bottle. As long as he is on formula he is getting fluid. But as long as your water bottle does not leak it should not be a problem hanging it on the outside of his cage.

Before he gets a lot of other food, make sure he is stellar eating his Henry’s block. That is your insurance he will stay healthy. No nuts till he is stellar eating all healthy foods!
    redwuff
    State Licensed

What formula are you feeding him?

BlueEyedChica Guest

I would guess his age to be betw 7.5 -8.5 weeks. He must have just opened his eyes when you found him. What formula do you have him on?

Looks like you have done terrific with him. For all his trauma, he looks healthy and bright eyed. I am concerned at the location where they took his leg off. Usually they take it off at the hip. Watch to see that his stump stays healthy.

I think he could go either way for a little bit longer concerning a water bottle. As long as he is on formula he is getting fluid. But as long as your water bottle does not leak it should not be a problem hanging it on the outside of his cage.

Before he gets a lot of other food, make sure he is stellar eating his Henry’s block. That is your insurance he will stay healthy. No nuts till he is stellar eating all healthy foods!

He is on Esbilac puppy formaula and I looked at the brand and it is supposed to be the “good” batch. He nurses great and is full of energy. He goes through 1-2 blocks a day. I just introduced shredded veggies yesterday. I am holding out on nuts and fruit still, from all the reading I have done. We go in for a possible bandage change today. I’ll see if I can get pictures of his stump. He has gotten use to using it (even before we took it) so I think my vet just wanted to try to leave him something to use. It was goin to get amputated mid femur but decided to try to salvage as much as we could.

If he were my baby I would switch him over to Fox Valley 20/50. Hopefully he will continue to take formula for another 5-7 weeks. He is not eating enough Henry’s to be calcium safe, if this batch of Esbilac isn’t good, especially considering the healing he is doing from his amputated leg.

I worked with a baby last summer 2018, who was wasting away while being fed over 10% of his body weight. That was supposed to be the “good” batch too. Personally I will never touch another Esbilac product.

Sorry, I am a little raw over this whole Esbilac debacle. I am working with a little guy fighting for his life, who has almost every long bone broken because of Esbilac. We are working with a vet and our little guy has a few more weeks to see if the diet changes will be enough to heal his bones or he will be pts.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

BlueEyedChica Guest

If he were my baby I would switch him over to Fox Valley 20/50. Hopefully he will continue to take formula for another 5-7 weeks. He is not eating enough Henry’s to be calcium safe, if this batch of Esbilac isn’t good, especially considering the healing he is doing from his amputated leg.

I worked with a baby last summer 2018, who was wasting away while being fed over 10% of his body weight. That was supposed to be the “good” batch too. Personally I will never touch another Esbilac product.

Sorry, I am a little raw over this whole Esbilac debacle. I am working with a little guy fighting for his life, who has almost every long bone broken because of Esbilac. We are working with a vet and our little guy has a few more weeks to see if the diet changes will be enough to heal his bones or he will be pts.
    I am so sorry to hear that! I pray he can pull through!
    Is it something a local store will carry or something I need to order?

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BlueEyedChica from:

redwuff (09-16-2019)

You need to order it. Once they get to 6 or 7 weeks it is a good idea to switch to the Fox Valley 20/50 anyway - they usually really start growing well on it. You can get it at Henrys.

BlueEyedChica Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    You need to order it. Once they get to 6 or 7 weeks it is a good idea to switch to the Fox Valley 20/50 anyway - they usually really start growing well on it. You can get it at Henrys.
    Ok I will get that ordered. He is almost through that can if Esbilac anyways.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.