Thread: Skin Issues

Default Skin Issues

Hello, I was recently called about a baby found by a young boy under the tree late at night.
    When I took the squirrel in, she appeared to have a few bites and scratches around the lower part of her belly.. over the course of the last 48 hours, the 'bites' have appeared to multiple. I've asked a few knowledgeable people but its only based on photos and they said its ant bites, which is better then Originally thought, which that it might be the early onset of squirrel pox. What concerns me is looks like its spreading, for instance to her lip (only 2 dots, picture included) and her back and upper arms (only a couple here and there) but you can see its gotten worse on her belly, esp her lower belly.

She is a good eater and pooper.

I thought it might be a urine/skin issue, but I evacuate her after every meal. I wonder if its an allergy, Which is why I just started her on Benadry (also suggested by a knowledgable rehabber), who also says it MIGHT be staph, if it so that.. is there any medicine I can obtain without going to a vet, to give her.

I've never heard of ant bits getting worse and thought I would try the knowledge collective over here as well and see if anyone has seen this before so I can start nipping it in the bud or getting her to the write person or getting her the right medicine. Thank you..

Things Ive done.
    Changed her bedding, I had her in CLEAN pink flannel but now (I use unscented laundry detergent)
    put neosporin (Started today)
    childrens benadryl (Just started today)
    Her formula is Esbilac/Heavy whipping cream and water which she has been on for a day and a half since I re hydrated.
    she is approx 55g

Thank you for any advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Default Re: Skin Issues

It looks like possibly 2 issues. Ant bites and pyoderma, a Staphylococcus infection.
    You can make a weak solution of Betadyne. Put a few drops in a cup of water so that it looks like tea. Swab her belly and let it dry. It is a disinfectant. Also, I would try to find an antibiotic in case it’s needed.
    For this purpose, Clavamox (Augmentin) or Septra (SMZ-TMP) would be good choices. Ask friends or family if they have left over antibiotics. We can dose it for you.

It does not look like pox.

Are you familiar with the issues with Esbilac this year?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

island rehabber (09-14-2019)

I am putting her onto some amoxicillin another rehabber local suggested. Do you think that would be ok?
    I have some hydrocortisone that I was going to put on her, but I will try the betadyne tomorrow if the hydrocortisone doesn't work.
    I have heard about the esbilac, I pick it up from another rehabber who has been using it but I wasn't on keeping the squirrel for long term, looking for a rehabber with another baby to hand her off to. If I do, I'll move her over to the goats milk esbilac I suppose.

I;ve just never seen a staph infection on a baby squirrel before.. so its a first time for that..

Thank you for replying.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    It looks like possibly 2 issues. Ant bites and pyoderma, a Staphylococcus infection.
    You can make a weak solution of Betadyne. Put a few drops in a cup of water so that it looks like tea. Swab her belly and let it dry. It is a disinfectant. Also, I would try to find an antibiotic in case it’s needed.
    For this purpose, Clavamox (Augmentin) or Septra (SMZ-TMP) would be good choices. Ask friends or family if they have left over antibiotics. We can dose it for you.

It does not look like pox.

Are you familiar with the issues with Esbilac this year?

Quote Originally Posted by P3pp3r View Post
    I am putting her onto some amoxicillin another rehabber local suggested. Do you think that would be ok?
    I have some hydrocortisone that I was going to put on her, but I will try the betadyne tomorrow if the hydrocortisone doesn't work.
    I have heard about the esbilac, I pick it up from another rehabber who has been using it but I wasn't on keeping the squirrel for long term, looking for a rehabber with another baby to hand her off to. If I do, I'll move her over to the goats milk esbilac I suppose.

I;ve just never seen a staph infection on a baby squirrel before.. so its a first time for that..

Thank you for replying.
    Staph infections are very common in baby squirrels. A diluted Betadyne wash should take care of it in a few days.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Thank you for replying.

Whoa, I think someone just said recently the penicillin derivatives are toxic/harmful to squirrels. Do a search in case I'm mistaken. I will try to find the post where I read it . . .

Yes, penicillin is toxic. I don't know how to post the link to the thread where I just found it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post

Whoa, I think someone just said recently the penicillin derivatives are toxic/harmful to squirrels. Do a search in case I'm mistaken. I will try to find the post where I read it . . .
    No, that’s not true. Clavamox (Amoxicillin/Clavulanic acid) is a ‘penicillin type’ antibiotic. We use that all the time.
    Chirps, you might be referring to the injectable penicillin. Squirrels can’t have that. It’s not the penicillin that is toxic. The procaine in the injectable penicillin is toxic to rodents.

Actually, Amoxicillin is not a good antibiotic if it is indeed a Staph infection. Staphylococcus are >99% resistant to Amoxicillin.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Chirps (09-14-2019)

No, that’s not true. Clavamox (Amoxicillin/Clavulanic acid) is a ‘penicillin type’ antibiotic. We use that all the time.
    Chirps, you might be referring to the injectable penicillin. Squirrels can’t have that. It’s not the penicillin that is toxic. The procaine in the injectable penicillin is toxic to rodents.

Actually, Amoxicillin is not a good antibiotic if it is indeed a Staph infection. Staphylococcus are >99% resistant to Amoxicillin.
    Ah, glad you're here. Was hoping an expert was around to clarify. P3pp3r said amoxicillin though, not Clavamox. I was referring to Amoxicillin, haven't seen anything about injectable penicillin on the boards that I remember. I will look again. It was in a post about a possible pneumonia case. Would hate to spread disinformation . .

Okay not fair. I tried to edit the post but took too long and now I can't. Can someone cure my Foot-in-Mouth disease?

P3pp3r, good luck with your precious baby!

They are more pronounced this morning. I will try to find some smz this morning and also grab some betadyne.

So the ABX prevents it from continuing and the betadyne gets rid of the current issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    Okay not fair. I tried to edit the post but took too long and now I can't. Can someone cure my Foot-in-Mouth disease?

P3pp3r, good luck with your precious baby!
    No problem Chirps, every post is an opportunity to learn.

They are more pronounced this morning. I will try to find some smz this morning and also grab some betadyne.

So the ABX prevents it from continuing and the betadyne gets rid of the current issue?
    I would use both to get ahead of this. The betadyne is a disinfectant and should prevent further spread and help to dry the lesions. You can buy the generic.... providone-iodine.
    The antibiotic will kill the Staph.

How often should I be applying the betadyne?

I would use both to get ahead of this. The betadyne is a disinfectant and should prevent further spread and help to dry the lesions. You can buy the generic.... providone-iodine.
    The antibiotic will kill the Staph.

How often should I be applying the betadyne?
    Dilute at 20 drops betadyne to 1/4 cup water. Warm the solution up and apply with a cotton ball or similar. Dampen ALL affected areas and well into the areas that are not affected, then get him back on the heat again. Let the solution dry on the skin. I would do it at least twice a day and 3 times won't hurt.

It doesn't sting and won't hurt him if he licks himself. It dries just like water - leaves no sticky residue that would trigger them to lick and fuss with it. It is excellent for these skin staph infections. Good for humans, too!