Thread: A few follow on care questions

Default A few follow on care questions

You guys have been so great helping me navigate the world of squirrel care so just a few more questions about my little ones. They are now 6ish weeks and I’m wondering at what point do I start to add branches and things. Also when do I stop stimulating? They seem to not like me messing with there wee parts more and more although my little girl always goes for me. The boy is not so enthusiastic about it. They are going in their cage roughly in the same spot so I’m not worried that they are holding it in. They also loooovvveeee to nibble on my fingers when I have them out for exercise so I’m thinking maybe some branches will help with teething. They enjoy the rodent blocks just thinking it might be time to add more stuff now. Thanks!

Default Re: A few follow on care questions

Yes, you can add small branches. I use oak. My babies devoured them. It was the cutest thing.

You don’t need to stimulate them. Because they are using a spot in the cage, you might be able to train them to use a potty box. I use Carefresh in a shallow metal baking pan with hardware cloth to keep it contained.

I will take a pic of my potty bin so you can see what I’m talking about. I’ll post it in a couple hours.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Yes, you can add small branches. I use oak. My babies devoured them. It was the cutest thing.

You don’t need to stimulate them. Because they are using a spot in the cage, you might be able to train them to use a potty box. I use Carefresh in a shallow metal baking pan with hardware cloth to keep it contained.

I will take a pic of my potty bin so you can see what I’m talking about. I’ll post it in a couple hours.
    That is so cool that they can be potty trained! That will be so much easier on my washer lol! My back yard is a literal forest so I have maple, oak, pine, evergreen and sycamore so I’ll go get a variety and see which ones they prefer! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tmstrat View Post
    That is so cool that they can be potty trained! That will be so much easier on my washer lol! My back yard is a literal forest so I have maple, oak, pine, evergreen and sycamore so I’ll go get a variety and see which ones they prefer! Thank you!
    I don’t see sycamore on the safe tree list so I wouldn’t use that one. It might be OK but I just don’t know.

This is a potty box. Your babies might not use it now. It’s best to start them with it early.
    It is a shallow metal baking pan. Drill a few holes in the side to hold the hardware cloth with screws. Bend the edge of the hardware cloth. Fill with CareFresh. Secure with screws.

Name:  4F69F251-E21E-41DE-BCC5-724230610FFE.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  117.4 KBName:  CF8142AB-E560-44EB-B150-97DA80E1C8B2.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  92.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    This is a potty box. Your babies might not use it now. It’s best to start them with it early.
    It is a shallow metal baking pan. Drill a few holes in the side to hold the hardware cloth with screws. Bend the edge of the hardware cloth. Fill with CareFresh. Secure with screws.

Name:  4F69F251-E21E-41DE-BCC5-724230610FFE.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  117.4 KBName:  CF8142AB-E560-44EB-B150-97DA80E1C8B2.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  92.6 KB
    Ok I will just stick to oak and maple and pine cones a little later on. That little potty box will be a good addition for them