Thread: Help needed for 5 week old

Lwallal Guest

Default Help needed for 5 week old

Hi there,
    I have a 5 week old that I have had for 5 days now. The people that had him before had him for 3 days and I don’t know what they did with him. I have had him on GME since Sunday night when I got him. I could not find goats milk anywhere to make the temp. goat milk formula. He’s been doing really well on it. Has gone from 97 grams to 127 grams. I got the FV 20/50 in the mail tonight but he won’t take it at all. I mixed it half and half with the GME and he only ate 4 mLs. Are there suggestions to get him to eat the FV or will he just eventually get used to it.

Also, I’m concerned about AP. I feel like I hear clicking sometimes but I feel like maybe I’m imagining it. I’ve listened with the stethoscope and don’t hear anything. I’m worried for one because I don’t know what happened to him for the three days he was with the other people. I feed him slow and haven’t seen formula ever go through his nostrils. I have several antibiotics on hand so I have that covered if needed. Should I treat him or wait and make sure I hear definite clicks?

I appreciate your suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks

Default Re: Help needed for 5 week old

Sometimes when I am transitioning to a new formula I find that adding a little yogurt to the mix helps baby squirrels to tolerate it better.

As far as the AP, if you aren’t hearing the clicking consistently and nothing with the stethoscope I would be inclined to think that your baby does not have AP, but I would keep a very close eye on him and if it continues to click you might need to start meds. I have had babies that make noises with their mouths that sounds like clicking so it can be hard to tell sometimes. Do you have any antibiotics on hand in case you need them?
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Lwallal Guest

Yes, I have antibiotics if I need them.

Should I add yogurt to the GME/FV mixture or just try yogurt in the straight FV? He’s been eating at least 8mls and up to 11 so the 4mLs is really low for him.

Sometimes when they won’t eat much, when you go to feed next, you will see that they are starting to have diarrhea. I would stay closer to 5% of body weight for a little while. That’s one scenario. If he continues to not want to eat it could be that he might have AP. I think that you have had him for 5 days, if he did pop out with AP it would not be from what the other person did cos of the length of time.

And it could be from formula change. Try 1/4 FV 20/50 to 3/4 original formula and switch over more gradually.

What antibiotics do you have?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by Lwallal View Post
    Yes, I have antibiotics if I need them.

Should I add yogurt to the GME/FV mixture or just try yogurt in the straight FV? He’s been eating at least 8mls and up to 11 so the 4mLs is really low for him.
    You can add a little yogurt to either one if need be. But I do think a gradual transition is easier on their tummies sometimes.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.