Thread: New to squirrels and have first baby

Pamela502 Guest

Default New to squirrels and have first baby

I’m new to squirrels. My husband found a an abandoned wounded baby. I’ve had her for about three weeks now. She has been doing wonderful. I’m assuming she about 8 weeks now. She was good and drinks good. I’ve noticed a small clicking and it makes me think AP. She shows now other signs. She use to do a purring sound while sleeping. It was a fast clicking Now I’ve noticed a small clicking while sleeping. Can I order medicine for her online?

Default Re: New to squirrels and have first baby

Hi Pamela. Welcome

Usually we can get meds from a friend or family member. You only need one pill. Clavamox/augmentin or Baytril/Cipro are the best meds to use. In order to dose the correct amount of medicine we need strength of antibiotics and weight of baby.

Some people have found them in a good quality fish store.

if she has AP you do not have time to order them on line.

We would love to see a picture of your precious sweetheart.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

frankc (11-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela502 View Post
    I’m new to squirrels. My husband found a an abandoned wounded baby. I’ve had her for about three weeks now. She has been doing wonderful. I’m assuming she about 8 weeks now. She was good and drinks good. I’ve noticed a small clicking and it makes me think AP. She shows now other signs. She use to do a purring sound while sleeping. It was a fast clicking Now I’ve noticed a small clicking while sleeping. Can I order medicine for her online?
    Did your little one aspirate?

Pamela502 Guest

Here she is
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Pamela502 Guest

I have some amoxicillin tablets 500mg on hand. Could those be used? I have never seen formula come out of her nose and we feed her nice and slowly from the Syringe. I think I might worry to much. I’m an avid animal lover but never took care of a squirrel before. But my husband couldn’t leave her. She had a large wound on her belly and eyes weren’t opened yet. She was running around a parking lot at a hospital and eventually made her way to the hospital wall and just kept running into it. The wound healed nicely and looks very healthy. Gaining eight and playful. Just that darn clicking noise. But I don’t hear it all the time

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Pamela502 from:

frankc (11-21-2019)

Yes amoxicillin can be used. You would hear the clicking all the time. She is a cutie pie.
    I can tell she is loved by the whole family. What formula did you use in the 3 weeks you have had her?

If you think she has AP I will dose, but one of the biggest symptoms is lethargy and loss of appetite.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

frankc (11-21-2019)

Pamela502 Guest

Not sure of the name of the puppy milk off hand. She shows no sign of being lethargic or not eating. Should I wait to see if she shows other signs or should I go ahead and dose her .

Let’s wait since you have the med on hand. Do you have a scale to weigh her?

It is really important that you find out what kind of puppy formula you are feeding. We are having major issues with it. You can’t always tell that your baby is thrive on it. We just want to help you do the best for your girl
    redwuff
    State Licensed

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

frankc (11-21-2019)

Pamela502 Guest

Pet At milk replacer liquid sold at Walmart. I’ve had three weeks yesterday and seems to being doing great with it. She was so thin and evacuated when we found her and severely dehydrated. I started off on pedilite because she was so dehydrated and read going straight to formula is bad if dehydrated. I do not have a scale but I can have one tomorrow so I can get her weight. I will say she is doing excellent and seems very happy and spoiled. I just get so nervous cause like I said it’s my first time raising a baby squirrel. I’ve done rabbits but that’s are as my wildlife raising goes.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Pamela502 from:

redwuff (09-12-2019)

Scale is very important. Thank you for your appreciation of this precious being. What is her name. Since this is your first time, please let us guide you a bit.

So if you read on TSB you will notice that diet diet diet is what we always inquire about. It is so vital and the bad news is your sweet girl is not on a good diet. I have to go feed my babies. If someone else has not chimed in, I’ll give you some more info when I come back.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

frankc (11-21-2019)

Pamela502 Guest

I’m willing to take all advice thrown at me. I will have a scale tomorrow. I have been weaning her off the milk and introducing foods such as veggies and some fruit and nuts. We originally named her J.R but then I determined she was a girl. So I just call her baby or snugglez cause she loves to snuggle with me and sleep.

Pet At milk replacer liquid sold at Walmart. I’ve had three weeks yesterday and seems to being doing great with it. She was so thin and evacuated when we found her and severely dehydrated. I started off on pedilite because she was so dehydrated and read going straight to formula is bad if dehydrated. I do not have a scale but I can have one tomorrow so I can get her weight. I will say she is doing excellent and seems very happy and spoiled. I just get so nervous cause like I said it’s my first time raising a baby squirrel. I’ve done rabbits but that’s are as my wildlife raising goes.

Your little one is just precious!
    But, she needs to be on a different formula.
    We never recommend PetAg liquid as the
    liquid formula typically causes diarrhea
    or bloat.

Up until recently, we always recommended
    Esbilac powdered puppy formula but it has
    recently been noted that there are serious problems
    with calcium absorption.

We are now recommending Goat's Milk formula.
    Let me copy and paste some information for you.
    I would definitely transition your little one to this formula
    asap.
    Also we never wean them off of their formula. Some will
    take it right up to ~14 weeks.

Her first food should be a good quality block.
    Once she is eating them well,(they basically just nibble)
    then you can introduce
    some foods from the chart in the link below.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    I have tried all of the other recommended, but I
    always go back to Henry's Blocks for Picky eaters.
    They only need 2 daily compared to other products
    where they need a "handful".
    You can purchase them here. I get the ones for
    picky eaters, and have always had great luck with those.
    https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

Also here is another link to baby squirrel care.
    It's 6 pages long (quick read) with the next button in the top
    right corner.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-caring-...baby-squirrel/

Sorry to bombard you with so much.

Here are some blocks that are suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    [/QUOTE]

I strongly suggest that you start her on the Goats Milk Formula.
    Formula is their best calcium source which most of the time,
    they eagerly take.

Here's some helpful information about the GM Formula.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    GOAT’S MILK
    The most common brand of goat’s milk you will find in the US is Meyenberg. They have fresh in quart cartons, dry powder in cans, and also evaporated liquid in cans. The dry and evaporated both need to be mixed with water before use, per the directions. All of the packaging is purple and white.

I actually look for stuff like this in stores even when I don’t need it, and every Trader Joe’s I have gone to has had the Meyenburg fresh goat’s milk in their dairy case. I have not seen either the dry or evaporated there. I have not looked at Whole Foods but I would be very surprised if they don’t have at least one, if not all three kinds.

I have two large grocery chains here – Shaws, which is owned by Albertsons now, and Hannaford, which so far has not been absorbed by a larger conglomerate. Neither have fresh, but I have found the dry goats milk at both stores, and have checked various stores in both chains and found it. Part of the secret is finding it in the store, and as I have found out, many of the employees have no idea they have it, so calling and asking is of little use. I usually find it in the baking aisle with the other canned milks like Eagle Brand and Carnation. I have, however also found it in the organics section with the coconut milk!

Walmart has the dry goats milk, and it is in the baking aisle. I have looked in three Walmarts – two here in the Northeast and also in Tucson and found it at all three. Walmarts being fairly available to most people may be the safest bet around.

HEAVY CREAM
    The cream in the formula is there to provide needed fat, so purchasing the highest milkfat cream you can is the way to go. It is usually labeled “heavy cream” or “heavy whipping cream.” Regular whipping cream is lower in fat. It is found with the half and half and other coffee creamers in the dairy case. This is NOT the stuff in the can that you squirt in your mouth when nobody is looking – it is a liquid and is in tiny cartons.

YOGURT
    The yogurt should also be the “full fat” variety, which is somewhat harder to find. Most yogurts are either no fat or low fat. The most reliable brand I have found that is everywhere is Stoneyfield. They make large containers of plain and vanilla full fat yogurt, as well as their Yobaby line. Don’t select any yogurts with artificial sweeteners.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...la-ingredients

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    TEMPORARY GOAT'S MILK FORMULA:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
    This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
    This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
    Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...W-BABY-ARRIVAL[/QUOTE]

Here is a link to the healthy diet.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 09-13-2019 at 07:27 AM.

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

frankc (11-21-2019), redwuff (09-13-2019)

Thank you Nancy. Excellent post!
    redwuff
    State Licensed

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Nancy in New York (09-13-2019)

Pamela502 Guest

Thank you for all the info. I will switch the formula today and I will order some of the rodent block. So thankful for this board. I will say though that I have kept an eye on the baby’s stool and she goes regularly and it has always been a consistent form, never runny thankfully. I’m guessing she is about 8-9 weeks old. I’ve had her for three weeks and when I got her one eye had a small slit in it trying to open. So does her age sound about right? I wish I found this forum 3 weeks ago! The large wound on her belly healed up good. I’m not sure what it was. I may have a picture.

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Pamela502:

Thanks for the picture. It helps assess the condition so much more. I would put her about 6 -7 weeks. Getting a weight-will help us more . You’ve done a good job with her but the formula has not helped her grow as much as she should. She has some catching up to do. Changing formula will help her take off.

Start her on GMF as soon as you are able and order FV 20/50 from Henry’s Healthy Pet. She also carries o-ring syringes and a good nipple. How have you been feeding her? I would plan on keeping her through the winter and releasing her in the spring when leaves are back on the trees. That way she will be in the best shape she can be in.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Pamela502 Guest

Here is a photo from today. She is very active and loves playing with tissue and tries to bury them in my hair. I will know her weight shortly. I’m waiting for someone to bring me some scales to weigh her on.

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Pamela502:

Pamela502 Guest

I weighed the baby and she weighs seven ounces.

I weighed the baby and she weighs seven ounces.
    7 oz = 198.4 grams of adorable!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Members who have read this thread: 1