Thread: Aspiration Concern!!

Unhappy Aspiration Concern!!

Hello All,
    My boy just aspirated a good bit of his syringe due to the plunger sticking then as I pushed a bit more, the plunger gave! He coughed and sneezed. I immediately held him upside down and wiped his nose area, but he got a good bit as we just started feeding, so it was a full 1ml syringe and it was almost down to 3mls once I got the plunger under control! Should i do anything else or wait and see? I asked my husband to pick up a dehumidifier on way home. Should it be a cool mist or warm? Should I give an antibiotic now or wait?
    He was tossed from his nest during the hurricane last week and he ended up on our deck. He wasn’t injured and we tried for 3 days to place him in a box and find Mom, only to find 2 more deceased babies and no mom anywhere. So, here we are!
    My husband and I have experience before with rehab of animals and squirrels. However, the previous squirrel we only assisted with a few hours of feedings here and there while the primary caretaker was at work. Our boy had his eyes shut when we found him Friday. He opened them Saturday night. And today, I noticed his top teeth are in. His bottom teeth were in when he was found. He was dehydrated when we found him and you can tell he had been out on his own easily a day. We gave pedalyte and started formula the next day when Mom wasn’t found. I recently read the esbilac issues and we have since switched to the goat milk formula posted on this forum. Yesterday, he started urinating on his own and today he is having both bowel movements and urinating on his own. He has gained weight: went from 65g to 78grams. I think he is about 5 weeks. Please correct me if that is incorrect.
    We don’t want him sick as he is doing so well. Please help with any suggestions! Can someone send me a dosage for antibiotics and which we can use and how to mix it and administer it (crush pills, liquid form, etc) encase I need them in the night?
    I appreciate any assistance you guys can give. This forum has been the absolute most helpful.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Stacy from:

Nancy in New York (09-11-2019)

Default Re: Aspiration Concern!!

You will need Baytril (animal antibiotic) or Cipro (Human)
    Clavamox, or Augmentin.

Or Doxycycline, as long as it hasn't expired.
    We will also need the strength of the drug.

Getting one of these drugs now, is being proactive which is smart.
    We can dose this for you once we know the drug, and the strength.

Please never dose anything until the signs are there.
    As you said, we don't want you desperate for dosing through the night

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Stacy (09-11-2019)

Thank you!! I am almost certain we have clavamox or amoxicillin and may have doxy. Cipro is also a possibility. I am going to check now.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Stacy from:

Nancy in New York (09-11-2019)

Ok. I got called to work, but when I got home all I can find is Doxycline liquid in a 25mg/5ml ratio and it is raspberry flavored. It was for our cat who had an uti and we could not get him to take it, so we took him for the injection. Would this work? And what dosage? The expiration says Nov of 2020.
    So far, our baby is eating well and mo issues. Crossing fingers, toes and praying very hard it stays like this!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Stacy View Post
    Doxycline liquid in a 25mg/5ml ratio and it is raspberry flavored.

Would this work? And what dosage?

The expiration says Nov of 2020.
    First the expiration... if that is the expiration date on the manufacturer's box, that is for the powder before the water is added. Once the water is added it is only good for 10 days or so (14 days max). Doxycycline becomes a dangerous, toxic drug once it expires so it is critical to knwo this doxycycline has been prepared (water added) recently.

I am also assuming (not not 100% certain) it needs to have been stored in the fridge after the water has been added.
    Edit: Just found reference for this and Doxy Oral Suspension is stored at room temperature and not in the fridge. Also confirmed that it should be discarded and not used after 14 days.

If it is still good, we need to know how much the baby weighs to calculate the dosage.
    Last edited by Spanky; 09-12-2019 at 02:46 AM.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Stacy (09-12-2019)

Ok. So as of this morning he is just at 80grams. At the time of my post yesterday, he was 78g. Definitely going in the correct direction!! I knew Doxycycline isn’t refrigerated, however, I was not sure about the dosage on a baby squirrel. I usually write the date I mixed the med or when it was filled on the bottle and this was filled on August 18. So, definitely passed the 14days. I am a nurse and I am usually pretty good at writing those dates on the box and sure enough I did, thankfully! Im not a fan of doxy, so it really doesn’t hurt my feelings that it is expired. I just want to make sure I have something on hand.
    I do have simplicef tablets for a small dog. That is a 100mg tablet.
    I really appreciate the help. I do not want to give him anything if not needed, yet, I need to make sure I have it ready and know the dosing. So far this morning he is good. Eating like a champ. Praying it stays that way.
    I still am going through our medication to see what else I have on hand. I will post if I find anything or if anything changes.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Stacy from:

Nancy in New York (09-12-2019)

Hello All!
    So far our little one is doing great! Now at 85g and no signs of pneumonia, so we are praying very very hard that we have avoided any issues.
    I did find some antibiotics: I have amoxicillin, I have clavamox, and I have cipro. They are older however, but not expired by more than just a few months. Could someone send me the doses for those and any helpful information on how to administer?
    I truly want to say how fantastic this forum is and that I have learned so much in the past week from here than anywhere else nor my years of schooling. You all are angels who look over these tiny characters!

You need a current weight to dose. If there is a problem we could/would dose then.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator