Thread: Need a friend for my Southern Flyer

Default Need a friend for my Southern Flyer

My sweet baby will be a year old Nov 4. She really needs a friend. Not sure how to go about getting another. One lady says she ships them from Boston. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Need a friend for my Southern Flyer

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    My sweet baby will be a year old Nov 4. She really needs a friend. Not sure how to go about getting another. One lady says she ships them from Boston. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    It is a complete and total crapshoot whether your little squirrel will get along with another one. Maybe, maybe not, and if maybe not, you have two single squirrels in their own cages, which I am sure is NOT what you want. In addition, she will likely become a little cooler toward you with a friend of her own kind IF she gets along with it.

She has been raised as a single which is VERY abnormal for a flyer. They live in communal groups, not alone. But it is what she knows and one hopes that you two have a friendship, because they will bond closely with their humans and are very happy with them!

What is your situation and why exactly are you looking to get another?

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    It is a complete and total crapshoot whether your little squirrel will get along with another one. Maybe, maybe not, and if maybe not, you have two single squirrels in their own cages, which I am sure is NOT what you want. In addition, she will likely become a little cooler toward you with a friend of her own kind IF she gets along with it.

She has been raised as a single which is VERY abnormal for a flyer. They live in communal groups, not alone. But it is what she knows and one hopes that you two have a friendship, because they will bond closely with their humans and are very happy with them!

What is your situation and why exactly are you looking to get another?
    She was brought to me dehydrated, starving and almost dead. She was found in a tarp. My husband got her hydrated until I could get to the house. She stayed in my hoodie for 2 weeks. Her and I have a great bond but she is getting fat and gives me those eyes when I go to bed. I feel she does not have enough interaction being they are sociable creatures. I was told by a few breeders that they all get along with each other. I get her out around 8pm to play for a while. She just seems lonely.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    She was brought to me dehydrated, starving and almost dead. She was found in a tarp. My husband got her hydrated until I could get to the house. She stayed in my hoodie for 2 weeks. Her and I have a great bond but she is getting fat and gives me those eyes when I go to bed. I feel she does not have enough interaction being they are sociable creatures. I was told by a few breeders that they all get along with each other. I get her out around 8pm to play for a while. She just seems lonely.
    What the breeder said isn’t exactly true. I have two boys. The one was 18 month old when I got him. I felt he needed a friend. He was about 2 when I brought home an 8 week old buddy for him. They have never gotten along. So, fast forward 6 years and they live in adjacent CritterNation double cages. So much for getting a friend.

I guess each situation is different and it might work for others. I did have a reason for not forcing the relationship. The older boy had a history of seizures when younger. At that time he was stable and was no longer seizing (he is still seizure free) so I didn’t want stress to cause the seizures to return. Without that little issue I might have tried harder.

Does your girl have a wheel? That might help with the weigh but then again it might not.
    One of mind is lean and the other is fat as a pig. The wheel runner is the pig. The lean one never looked at the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    What the breeder said isn’t exactly true. I have two boys. The one was 18 month old when I got him. I felt he needed a friend. He was about 2 when I brought home an 8 week old buddy for him. They have never gotten along. So, fast forward 6 years and they live in adjacent CritterNation double cages. So much for getting a friend.

I guess each situation is different and it might work for others. I did have a reason for not forcing the relationship. The older boy had a history of seizures when younger. At that time he was stable and was no longer seizing (he is still seizure free) so I didn’t want stress to cause the seizures to return. Without that little issue I might have tried harder.

Does your girl have a wheel? That might help with the weigh but then again it might not.
    One of mind is lean and the other is fat as a pig. The wheel runner is the pig. The lean one never looked at the wheel.
    She has had a wheel since she was a month old and will not use it. Not sure what other entertainment I can give her.