Thread: Infected toe

Default Infected toe

Hi guys

Our rehab’s permanent resident is a 2.5 year old gray. She is part of our education program and a member of our family. A little less than a week ago, she cut her toe on a piece of her cage that had come free from its soldering. (Scathing email sent). We started her on Baytril subq on Sunday and she’s being given Metacam as needed. She has favored the foot and slept lots.
    This AM we discovered her toe was much larger and appears to have pus. She is a good girl, and has not bitten us during our inspections, but she does not enjoy us messing with her toe.
    Part of me thinks I should give her a shot of Valium then really scrub and treat, but then i second guess myself because she is important to us.
    What would you do? If you agree with the sedation route, would anyone be willing to calculate the dose as a fail safe?
    Any thoughts or suggestions welcome. Compress has also been applied

Default Re: Infected toe

I don't have a suggestion about the sedation, but I would switch antibiotics.. Baytril does not have good coverage for this sort of thing. I'd use clavamox and if you suspect that there is a chance that the bone is infected (or a risk that it will become infected) stack clindamycin with the clavamox.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Knittinkitten (09-10-2019)

I should add we are rural and though my vet does prescribe for me, she does not treat wildlife so a vet is not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I don't have a suggestion about the sedation, but I would switch antibiotics.. Baytril does not have good coverage for this sort of thing. I'd use clavamox and if you suspect that there is a chance that the bone is infected (or a risk that it will become infected) stack clindamycin with the clavamox.
    Got it. Will switch today. Do you recommend 2ml/kg? I don’t think the bone is at risk. It was just a rip. But it bled like the devil, as toes are wont to do.

I sent a PM with the info...