Thread: New Squirrel Mom Here - NEED HELP PLEASE!

missdoodles23 Guest

Default New Squirrel Mom Here - NEED HELP PLEASE!

I've found two baby squirrels and taken them under my care as of yesterday. I THINK they are Eastern Greys around 3 weeks (eyes still closed).. but I'll post a pic below to verify. One is a boy, one is a girl - the boy is doing really well. He's been eating and drinking Pedialyte, peeing, and pooping. The girl has taken a good dose of Pedialyte, but she has not yet peed or pooped. The only thing she's done is let out one little drop. I assumed they were both dehydrated, hence the Pedialyte, but after 24 hours she's still not going potty.

My first question is - how can I help little girl? Am I doing the right thing by keeping her on the Pedialyte?
    2 - Do I keep them both on Pedialyte and then switch to formula (is it one or the other versus formula and Pedialyte in one feeding?)
    3 - How do I help the girl go to the bathroom?

missdoodles23 Guest

Default Re: New Squirrel Mom Here - NEED HELP PLEASE!

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  130.4 KB

Welcome Missdoodles

They are precious.

If you found them yesterday they need formula. Unfortunately the formula we usually recommend is having serious issues at this time so we can’t recommend it. Here is a link with baby squirrel care.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-caring-...baby-squirrel/

Instead of the Esbilac that is recommended in the link I will post a link for a goat milk formula.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Nancy in New York (09-10-2019)

TEMPORARY GOAT'S MILK FORMULA:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
    This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
    This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
    Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Nancy in New York (09-10-2019)

You should order this formula. When the eyes open you can transition them to the Fox Valley 20:50.

https://www.henryspets.com/fox-valle...formula-20-50/

The girl might be wetting the bed at that age.

My baby girl Grey squirrel, "Penny", which I found in early August, fully furred but eyes open (likely just a bit older than your babes) was able to pee & poop fine after I got some hydration & formula in her. If I recall, it took around 12-18 hrs or longer before I started seeing dribbles of pee and little rice grain sized poops occasionally. She actually prefers the Fox Valley 20/50 formula to goat's milk! I think it may be a bit sweeter.

Best of luck with those precious babies!!! They're absolutely adorable!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.