Thread: HELP NEW BABY ARRIVAL

Hybrid View

Default HELP NEW BABY ARRIVAL

Hi I need a refresher course on caring for a new baby, I'm waiting for the arrival right now. I lost my Hope, 2 years ago, so it's been awhile. I need a quick reminder and I saw the message about the Esbilac, is it still unsafe to use, that's the first thing I bought. What should I use? Thank you, Barbi

Default Re: HELP NEW BABY ARRIVAL

https://www.henryspets.com/1-caring-...baby-squirrel/

This will get you started. You are correct that the Esbilac is bad at this time. How old is the baby? That will help us decide which formula to recommend.

I remember Hope and you also.

TEMPORARY GOAT'S MILK FORMULA:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
    This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
    This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
    Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Nancy in New York (09-11-2019)

I figure he's about 5-6 weeks old, his eyes are just about ready to open. When I got my first baby Hope, she was only like 1-2 weeks old. I have started him on another brand of puppy powdered formula, it's NutriVet milk replacement for puppies, is that ok? After Hope passed, I use to say if it was meant for me to have another it would happen. I would ask Hope to come back to me, I like to think she reincarnated and came back😊. He seems to be healthy. I feel my heart has already been taken. Just had him a day, haven't even thought of a name yet. I hope I'm ready for this crazy adventure again. Wish me luck. Any advice, thoughts etc.. would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you, Barbi

Hi Barbi, I am so thrilled that you got another baby. I remember your story well. Your Hope was beautiful and no doubt she has blessed you with another baby to love.

The NutriVet milk replacer is something that we aren’t familiar with. I have never heard of a single person using it on the board. Because of that we really can’t give you any thoughts about it. Personally, I would order Fox Valley 20:50 formula. It is tried and tested and found to be the best option for babies the age of yours.

Do you have O-ring syringes and a Miracle nipple? Those are the best type and can be purchased at Henry’s Healthy Pets online. While you’re there you should go ahead and order some blocks for the baby. The shipping is flat rate so I would get everything I need at one time. They have a baby block. I don’t order that block. Personally, I order the Picky Eater block for all my squirrels. It is well received.

Barbi, I am so happy for you.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Their eyes open around 5 weeks so you can age the little fellow around that benchmark.

Does the little one have a name? Oh ... no name yet.
    Is he a beautiful Fox Squirrel like Hope?

Thank You I'll look that stuff up. Yes he's another fox squirrel, already in love💜. I'm happy, excited and scared. It hurt bad to lose Hope😢. He's real cute, he has a black hair line down his nose and his head hair is darker, like he's wearing a toupee😁. Still thinking of names, I think I want to see a little more of his personality. It's like a dream, I can't believe I'm actually holding another little baby.
    Any name suggestions? 🙋

Quote Originally Posted by purple View Post
    Thank You I'll look that stuff up. Yes he's another fox squirrel, already in love💜. I'm happy, excited and scared. It hurt bad to lose Hope😢. He's real cute, he has a black hair line down his nose and his head hair is darker, like he's wearing a toupee😁. Still thinking of names, I think I want to see a little more of his personality. It's like a dream, I can't believe I'm actually holding another little baby.
    Any name suggestions? 🙋
    I want (would love) to see pictures. Don’t sweat, you got this. We are here for you
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

He opened his eyes today! 😊

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to purple:

HRT4SQRLS (09-11-2019), Nancy in New York (09-11-2019)

Will send pictures soon, have to remember how again.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to purple from: