Thread: Pneumonia : Please help!!

kjennings Guest

Unhappy Pneumonia : Please help!!

So my baby girl Jill is about 3 weeks old and yesterday has started to get a clicking noise that seems to be coming from inside of her lungs and this morning when I fed her it was a deeper sound like she was almost wheezing when she took a breath. Her appetite is still wonderful though and not lethargic. I have got cephalexine in pill form or I have liquamycin in an injectable but way too nervous to try and use that on her with being so young and small. What is your advice on how I should treat her?

Default Re: Pneumonia : Please help!!

Neither of those is good for squirrels, I'm afraid. You need either Baytril or Clavamox -- worst case scenario would be SMZ-TMP (Bactrim). If you have any Cipro (often prescribed for humans with urinary tract infections) you can use that as well -- almost as good as Baytril.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by kjennings View Post
    So my baby girl Jill is about 3 weeks old and yesterday has started to get a clicking noise that seems to be coming from inside of her lungs and this morning when I fed her it was a deeper sound like she was almost wheezing when she took a breath. Her appetite is still wonderful though and not lethargic. I have got cephalexine in pill form or I have liquamycin in an injectable but way too nervous to try and use that on her with being so young and small. What is your advice on how I should treat her?
    Kjennings.... call family members for antibiotics. One pill is enough.

Vern1978 Guest

Would liquamycin help? They sell that at tractor supply.

If you cannot find antibiotics from friends.. look for a pet store that specializes in birds.
    They sell 'Enrofloxacin 10%' (Baytril) for around $4-$6 without a prescription.
    Then post that you have it and the current weight of the squirrel in grams for dosing instructions.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

RockyPops (10-16-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.