Thread: Sourcing Homemade Goat's Milk Formula ingredients

Threaded View

Default Sourcing Homemade Goat's Milk Formula ingredients

GOAT’S MILK
    The most common brand of goat’s milk you will find in the US is Meyenberg. They have fresh in quart cartons, dry powder in cans, and also evaporated liquid in cans. The dry and evaporated both need to be mixed with water before use, per the directions. All of the packaging is purple and white.

I actually look for stuff like this in stores even when I don’t need it, and every Trader Joe’s I have gone to has had the Meyenburg fresh goat’s milk in their dairy case. I have not seen either the dry or evaporated there. I have not looked at Whole Foods but I would be very surprised if they don’t have at least one, if not all three kinds.

I have two large grocery chains here – Shaws, which is owned by Albertsons now, and Hannaford, which so far has not been absorbed by a larger conglomerate. Neither have fresh, but I have found the dry goats milk at both stores, and have checked various stores in both chains and found it. Part of the secret is finding it in the store, and as I have found out, many of the employees have no idea they have it, so calling and asking is of little use. I usually find it in the baking aisle with the other canned milks like Eagle Brand and Carnation. I have, however also found it in the organics section with the coconut milk!

Walmart has the dry goats milk, and it is in the baking aisle. I have looked in three Walmarts – two here in the Northeast and also in Tucson and found it at all three. Walmarts being fairly available to most people may be the safest bet around.

HEAVY CREAM
    The cream in the formula is there to provide needed fat, so purchasing the highest milkfat cream you can is the way to go. It is usually labeled “heavy cream” or “heavy whipping cream.” Regular whipping cream is lower in fat. It is found with the half and half and other coffee creamers in the dairy case. This is NOT the stuff in the can that you squirt in your mouth when nobody is looking – it is a liquid and is in tiny cartons.

YOGURT
    The yogurt should also be the “full fat” variety, which is somewhat harder to find. Most yogurts are either no fat or low fat. The most reliable brand I have found that is everywhere is Stoneyfield. They make large containers of plain and vanilla full fat yogurt, as well as their Yobaby line. Don’t select any yogurts with artificial sweeteners.

2. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

HRT4SQRLS (09-09-2019), Mel1959 (09-09-2019), Milo's Mom (09-09-2019), Nancy in New York (09-09-2019), Spanky (09-09-2019), SugarMom (09-09-2019)