Thread: I think my rescued baby squirrel may be a late bloomer...

Default I think my rescued baby squirrel may be a late bloomer...

Eyes arent open but hes fully furred and has top and bottom teeth. I have not been using formula but instead giving him pedialyte and applesauce.he sits up and curls his tail. He is an eastern gray squirrel. I found him curled up in the middle of the road. I just cant tell his age. He has all the signs that hes 5 weeks or older except his eyes. Im worried about him. Please help.

Default Re: I think my rescued baby squirrel may be a late bloomer...

[IMG]20190906_132638.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by CallaLily47 View Post
    Eyes arent open but hes fully furred and has top and bottom teeth. I have not been using formula but instead giving him pedialyte and applesauce.he sits up and curls his tail. He is an eastern gray squirrel. I found him curled up in the middle of the road. I just cant tell his age. He has all the signs that hes 5 weeks or older except his eyes. Im worried about him. Please help.
    CallaLily, you were not fully registered when you tried to post a picture, please try again so we can help you assess this baby's age.
    Regardless, this baby is going to need formula! Due to product change causing issues with Esbilac we are no longer recommending it.
    Instead we recommend temporary using the home made Goat's formula and then transitioning to Fox Valley 20/50 that has to be
    ordered on line. (or by phone) Links to both are provided below...

Goat's milk formula:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?29904-TEMPORARY-Goat-s-Milk-Formula***&highlight=goats+milk+formula

Links to purchase Fox Valley formula:
    https://www.henryspets.com/fox-valley-formulas/

https://www.squirrelsandmore.com/col...eeks-and-older

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Valley-DA.../dp/B00EFX23LM

Below is the link to baby squirrel care just keep in mind we no longer recommend the Esbilac due to product change which has been compromising babies.

Go to this link this is a HUGE help.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Milo's Mom (09-09-2019)

Name:  15680799671161178908146.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  75.9 KBName:  15680799671161178908146.jpg
Size:  75.9 KBName:  15680799671161178908146.jpg
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  15680804464951145222825.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  79.8 KB

Im holding him upright my camera turns my photos sometimes.

I forgot to mention all he wants to do is curl up in a ball and sleep. He did do a bit of playing today but not for very long without settling in for a nap.

Please stop giving pedialyte after he is hydrated. Pedialyte should be used to rehydrate a dehydrated animal but is not to be used continuously as a substitute for formula or water. Too much pedialyte can lead to electrolyte imbalance which can stress kidneys and cause GI issues. You should switch over to plain water. As Stepnstone already stated, he needs to be on formula (detailed in his posting). I think your he squirrel is actually girl!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

We took him off the pedialyte yesterday. But I'm working on getting him fox valley. I have 20 dollars in my paypal account but it isnt enough. Now the goats milk for substitue... Where can I get it and what brand should I use? Im really worried about my Twitchy... I currently have nothing for him... I bought him esbilac with my last five dollars just to find it was bad for him/her. I didnt give him/her any. I just dont know what to do for him/her until I can get him/her something... I have been giving him/her water and applesauce because its all I have. I could afford the fox valley and get it by tomorrow if it was like 2 dollars cheaper.

You cant tell in the picture but there is a small extremity there.

The Goats Milk Formula is a home made recipe (see below).

Depending on where you bought the Esbilac you may be able to return it for a refund (even if you've already opened it) by explaining that the manufacturer has announced an ingredient change that has rendered it defective, and has caused some animals who are unable to digest the product to die.

GOATS MILK FORMULA

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
    This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
    This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
    Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mialouise from:

CallaLily47 (09-10-2019)

Where in New York are you located.
    I can help you if you're close enough.

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

adkgirl16 (09-19-2019), Mel1959 (09-10-2019), TubeDriver (09-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Where in New York are you located.
    I can help you if you're close enough.
    What a great offer! I hope CallaLily47 is close enough and will take you up on your offer. . This little one can’t exist on applesauce and water.

Great about stopping the pedialyte. Either a goats milk formula or Fox Valley 20/50 is what is needed. We all just figured out that the Puppy Esbilac formula is no longer any good and folks everywhere are having to dump it and figure out alternatives.

I know you are doing your best and I thank you for putting in the hard work to care for this baby! But, you must try to get a replacement formula, he really can't survive without it. If you are located anywhere near Nancy in New York, her offer of help is about as good as you can get! Please reach out to her by PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CallaLily47 View Post
    We took him off the pedialyte yesterday. But I'm working on getting him fox valley. I have 20 dollars in my paypal account but it isnt enough. Now the goats milk for substitue... Where can I get it and what brand should I use? Im really worried about my Twitchy... I currently have nothing for him... I bought him esbilac with my last five dollars just to find it was bad for him/her. I didnt give him/her any. I just dont know what to do for him/her until I can get him/her something... I have been giving him/her water and applesauce because its all I have. I could afford the fox valley and get it by tomorrow if it was like 2 dollars cheaper.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Mel1959 (09-10-2019)