Thread: Let Share Share Goats Milk Esbilac experiences...

Default Let Share Share Goats Milk Esbilac experiences...

As a part of the Esbilac debacle 2019, let's talk Esbilac Goats Milk Formula (GME).... I am also starting the thread here in an effort to keep the Esbilac 2019 warning thread less clutter with debate and discussion. We can update that thread with recommendations when warranted as we develop the knowledge base, experience and confidence to do that...

While PetAg has said the GME does not contain the same dicalcium phosphate ingredient, at this point we are not convinced that the calcium issue is the only problem with the formula and frankly its a vote of "no confidence" at this point.

I have zero experience with GME. I know no one that has been using it that I could ask the results. So, if you have practical experience with feeding GME to squirrels please share that with the group... Thank you everyone in advance.

2. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

DixiesMom (09-09-2019), Milo's Mom (09-09-2019), Nancy in New York (09-09-2019), RockyPops (12-28-2019)

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Default Re: Let Share Share Goats Milk Esbilac experiences...

At this point based on their admissions and FDA findings from 2009 I wouldn't trust a single word or product from PetAg.

Why are they now pushing GME? In the past their stance was NOT FOR WILDLIFE but now they feel GME is for wildlife? Why arent they pushing Zoologic?

Why do they scream not for wildlife fir esbilac yet sell it at wildlife conferences?

This company is so upside down and backwards.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

PeteyPancake (10-02-2019), redwuff (09-09-2019), RockyPops (12-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
    At this point based on their admissions and FDA findings from 2009 I wouldn't trust a single word or product from PetAg.

Why are they now pushing GME? In the past their stance was NOT FOR WILDLIFE but now they feel GME is for wildlife? Why arent they pushing Zoologic?

Why do they scream not for wildlife fir esbilac yet sell it at wildlife conferences?

This company is so upside down and backwards.
    And as I mentioned on another thread, I am a huge fan of all of the "zoo" shows on Animal Planet and NatGeo Wild. I have seen the ubiquitous cans of white puppy esbilac in the dietary areas at the Bronx Zoo, The Georgia Aquarium, the Columbus Zoo, The San Diego Zoo...they ALL use it for the non-vegetarian babies they have to hand rear...

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    And as I mentioned on another thread, I am a huge fan of all of the "zoo" shows on Animal Planet and NatGeo Wild. I have seen the ubiquitous cans of white puppy esbilac in the dietary areas at the Bronx Zoo, The Georgia Aquarium, the Columbus Zoo, The San Diego Zoo...they ALL use it for the non-vegetarian babies they have to hand rear...
    Is PetAg a sponsor? Or do the zoos actually use it? Are they being filmed mixing it or just feeding? And would we even know the truth?

I do not trust them and I will no longer support them in any capacity.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

PeteyPancake (10-02-2019)

Is PetAg a sponsor? Or do the zoos actually use it? Are they being filmed mixing it or just feeding? And would we even know the truth?

I do not trust them and I will no longer support them in any capacity.
    With the exception of the GA Aquarium, where they were scooping powder from the white puppy can, mixing it up with water, adding ground up shrimp to it "to give that seafood tang" and feeding it to the two baby sea otters they just got done chartering a jet to fly from Monteray Bay to Atlanta, it is just there, in the background with all their other supplies. If I didn't use it I wouldn't know what it was - it isn't being featured the way something with paid product placement would be. I don't think they are a sponser.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Milo's Mom (09-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    With the exception of the GA Aquarium, where they were scooping powder from the white puppy can, mixing it up with water, adding ground up shrimp to it "to give that seafood tang" and feeding it to the two baby sea otters they just got done chartering a jet to fly from Monteray Bay to Atlanta, it is just there, in the background with all their other supplies. If I didn't use it I wouldn't know what it was - it isn't being featured the way something with paid product placement would be. I don't think they are a sponser.
    Understood! On a different note, I believe, if it's the same otters, my niece raised (assisted with, not solely) those 2 otters in Monteray. She was sad to see them go, but happy for their future.

Why are they now pushing GME? In the past their stance was NOT FOR WILDLIFE but now they feel GME is for wildlife? Why aren't they pushing Zoologic?

They still recommend the Zoologic for wildlife, but their suggestion to consider GME I took in the same spirit that this thread was started... as an off-the-shelf option... which Zoological is not. I am not defending this company, just sharing my take on their statement about GME. Unfortunately the reality is PetAg has a virtual monopoly of the off-the-shelf stuff...

I sure hope some members will be able to share real-life experiences using GME because baby season will once again be upon us before we know it!

Pet Ag does not promote either Esbilac or GM Esbilac for feeding wildlife but they KNOW that folks use it for that probably due to it being an on the shelf item.

I have no experience with pinkies so I can not comment on GM Esbilac as a substitute for Esbilac. I do know that there have been posts on here from folks either mistakenly or deliberately buying it when Esbilac was suggested to feed their found squirrels. I don't recall if there was an issue with diarrhea or anything else, but we have always redirected them to purchase the regular Esbilac.

I am curious if there have been any other health problems that have been reported that would bring into question the integrity of the Pet Ag products, specifically the GM Esbilac? I'm not defending the company, I'm just trying to understand what other component of the formula might be in question? Or is it a general distrust in the company now?

Edit: Just caught up on another thread where I read diarrhea and bloating are other issues folks are experiencing.

When I communicated with them they did recommend the Zoologic MM and that’s the direction I will personally go but I realize that isn’t the question at hand.

My attitude has been ‘here we go again’. I will have to say I feel ‘slightly’ better that they have actually acknowledged that there is a problem. In the past the position of both PetAg and Fox Valley was DENY, DENY, DENY. Commercial formula will always be problematic. That includes human baby formula. When I first started my 40 year career as a Microbiologist I remember a co-workers new grandchild got Salmonella from baby formula. In my researching this issue I found that there is a Class Action Suit on human baby formula for causing rickets in babies.

I will try to research the archives of this board for GME users sometime today. The only problem with that is satisfied customers aren’t likely to post. I might only find those that were having problems. I will see what I can find.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Nancy in New York (09-09-2019)

I have been to 2 NWRA conferences since 2017 and a whole slew of other conferences. I am not positive about the smaller conferences (I do seem to remember seeing them in the hallway at NY last year) but I am 100% positive that PetAg was at BOTH NWRA conferences and at BOTH conferences they we taking orders for and educating people on the use of Zoologic, Esbilac and GME. They had giant bags (of Esbilac) sitting on their table and they donate Esbilac to the raffles and auctions.

I spoke to the rep in 2017 at the NWRA (Great Wolf) conference about how to get larger containers of Esbilac in my area since I was having problems finding them. She asked me my zip code and found me a distributor in Myerstown, PA. She knew exactly what I was seeking the formula for and I spent an entire week sitting 2 tables up from her listening to her sing the praises of Esbilac for wildlife. She never once suggested or even offered me information on Zoologic. At conferences vendors talk while the classes are going on...we have our own little group so we are best able to assist our customers with finding things they may be looking for during the chaos of in between class shopping.

They did not bring sample bags of Zoologic, instead they had sample bags of GME and Esbilac.

Lightbulb Re: Let Share Share Goats Milk Esbilac experiences...

I’ve been using an older can and brand new can of GME for my little Maxi (Eastern Grey, black/brown morph, Toronto) and he’s thriving.
    He was really dehydrated when found at about 3 weeks.
    After rehydration I started on diluted GME, over 2 days, to full strength.
    (GME:WATER:Heavy cream... 1:1.5:0.5)
    No issues whatsoever thus far, no diarrhea, bloating nothing.

Weight gain on schedule now at about 270g at 7 weeks.

I think it might be working too well tho- he doesn’t want to eat solids!
    I’ve got him nibbling on a few Kaytee pellets but he’s resisted all other block, fruits and veg so far. (Going to try avocado next... I like to hold it back for a bit as my little ones usually like it TOO much.) Little stinkers... *sigh*. They’re all SO different in their preferences.

That’s my 2 cents on the GME, hope it helps.
    ."Those who wish to pet and baby wild animals "love" them. But those who respect their natures and wish to let them live normal lives, love them more." ~Edwin Way Teale, Circle of the Seasons, 1953

ME? I'm Squammy to Bonnie, Nissa, Dancer, Lily, Julius, Bossman Todd, KikiTwo and many more... they’ve all taken a piece of my heart with them, back to the trees.
    Loving and caring for squirrels since 2008.

~~~~~~~~ TSB ROCKS!!

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kikiboo from:

Spanky (10-01-2019)

RustyTiki Guest

I have a 22 week old Fox Squirrel who has been fed Goats Milk Esbilac since 6 weeks with no problems. I still give it to him to be sure he's receiving enough calcium. The can does say that it has dicalcium phosphate. It does have dried whey protein concentrate.