Thread: Confirm proper feeding schedule please :)

Default Confirm proper feeding schedule please :)

Ok so we have made it to the middle of what I believe is their 5th week. Eyes open, completely furry, eating rodent block and poop is yellow brown and pellet formed. So my question is how many times a day do I feed them? Henry’s says 4 but I’ve read different things on here that say five. They are getting 10cc at each feeding and I’ve been doing it 5x/day but now thinking maybe going to 4 feeding every 6 hours? They are 124/126g as of today. Any guidance would be appreciated

Default Re: Confirm proper feeding schedule please :)

Name:  141AFEAB-DFA3-422E-BEBB-E59B9C082239.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  128.4 KB

Photo for cuteness

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tmstrat from:

Nancy in New York (09-09-2019)

I have no problem with 4x day for 5 weekers. Especially when they are heartily guzzling down 10cc. Mine actually gave up the fourth feeding at 6 weeks and are now at 3x; their older buddies who are now 8 weeks old are taking one morning feeding and a half-hearted slurp in the evening.

Frankly, I don't even see how one can even squeeze 5-6 feedings into one day, but that's just my crazy life
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Asos (09-18-2019), stepnstone (09-09-2019)

I believe my babies are between 7-8 weeks. I have had them for 3 and when I got them their eyes were still closed. Their eyes have been open for almost 2 weeks now, curled tails, sitting up, some very active periods. I've had rodent block in with them for 2 weeks. They nibble, but never really seem to eat it? I have added sticks and leaves in the last week. They really tore into the bark on a large branch, but still attack their formula too. I feed 4X a day right now, approximately every 5 hours.....My question is this...are they old enough to go to 3? and is it ok for there to be 8 hours between? I have been taking them to work with me, and my job is very understanding, but it would be nice to be able to feed in the morning right before I go, as soon as I get home, and again about 5 hours later before bed.....would a schedule like that be ok at this point?

Man I would kill to be able to bring my babies to work! Military wouldn't take to kindly to that lol. They are very accommodating with me going home every four hours to feed so that's a plus I will let the professionals answer your feeding question as I'm a newbie to being a squirrel mom as well!

Haha, yes, I am very lucky to be able to bring them along. We joke that they fit right in with the rest of the squirrels that work here!! lol....I raised some babies years ago, but don't remember much, so feel like this is a whole new ball game. They've done well and I am so afraid of screwing them up!!! I am very worried about a pre release cage andhow to transition them to that. The weather has been crazy....50's some nights, and supposed to hit 90 tomorrow. I am in central PA, so evern worried about whether I should release them in Mid October around here? Really having fun with them, but trying to do things right stresses me out!!! lol

HRK, I believe it is going to be too late in the season, based on your location, to be able to release this year. Folks that live in northern climates overwinter their babies for many reasons.....there’s very little food, they don’t have an established drey or suitable shelter before cold weather sets in, the trees lose their leaves which makes them vulnerable to predators and little ones need time in a release cage to learn the sights, sounds and smells of the outside world. Time in the release cage varies but usually at least two weeks and they don’t get placed in the release cage till around 12-14 weeks. I have found that being a little older when they’re released helps them in the wild...they seem to be more savvy.

Yes, they can go to 3 feedings a day. If they are hungry during a long stretch they will eat the rodent block.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

eshepard (10-04-2021), TubeDriver (09-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    HRK, I believe it is going to be too late in the season, based on your location, to be able to release this year. Folks that live in northern climates overwinter their babies for many reasons.....there’s very little food, they don’t have an established drey or suitable shelter before cold weather sets in, the trees lose their leaves which makes them vulnerable to predators and little ones need time in a release cage to learn the sights, sounds and smells of the outside world. Time in the release cage varies but usually at least two weeks and they don’t get placed in the release cage till around 12-14 weeks. I have found that being a little older when they’re released helps them in the wild...they seem to be more savvy.

Yes, they can go to 3 feedings a day. If they are hungry during a long stretch they will eat the rodent block.
    ok, thanks for the info....so if I keep them over winter, do I still put them out in a prerelease cage? I can't imagine that being inside all winter would be good either? I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.
    As far as the feedings, right now they get fed at approximately 7:30, 12:30, 5:30 and 9:30. Would 8:00, 4:00 and say 10-10:30 be ok? That way I wouldn't have to take them to work anymore!! lol

I’m not sure what you mean by a pre release cage. When my guys get to the point that they want to climb I put them in either a medium sized transition cage or a single critter nation cage. As they get better at climbing they get access to the second and third cage of the critter nation cage. They live in there with out-of-cage time until they are too rambunctious to get them easily returned to their cage. All this time they will have been in the house. At about 14 weeks they go to my release cage outside until they’re ready for release. I live in Florida so don’t over-winter.

I hope folks that live in cooler climates will say how they handle their over-winterers. I don’t know that putting them outside without a heat source is a good idea. I know one person that turned a portion of a bedroom into a large cage with hardware cloth for her two that had to be over-wintered.

As for your feeding schedule, it sounds like it would work, but I hope others will look at it and give their opinion.

You need to provide a rodent block. Which one are you feeding?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I’m not sure what you mean by a pre release cage. When my guys get to the point that they want to climb I put them in either a medium sized transition cage or a single critter nation cage. As they get better at climbing they get access to the second and third cage of the critter nation cage. They live in there with out-of-cage time until they are too rambunctious to get them easily returned to their cage. All this time they will have been in the house. At about 14 weeks they go to my release cage outside until they’re ready for release. I live in Florida so don’t over-winter.

I hope folks that live in cooler climates will say how they handle their over-winterers. I don’t know that putting them outside without a heat source is a good idea. I know one person that turned a portion of a bedroom into a large cage with hardware cloth for her two that had to be over-wintered.

As for your feeding schedule, it sounds like it would work, but I hope others will look at it and give their opinion.

You need to provide a rodent block. Which one are you feeding?

I am a newbie, but I assumed that a prerelease cage is when they got moved outside to a bigger cage. I have them on the Mazuri Rat & mice diet rodent block. They have just started eating it really well in the last few days.....so now I can slowly introduce broccoli, romaine lettuce, almonds, striped sunflower seeds, etc?
    Thank you for all your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Hrk View Post
    I am a newbie, but I assumed that a prerelease cage is when they got moved outside to a bigger cage. I have them on the Mazuri Rat & mice diet rodent block. They have just started eating it really well in the last few days.....so now I can slowly introduce broccoli, romaine lettuce, almonds, striped sunflower seeds, etc?
    Thank you for all your input!
    I start with the calciferous (cauliflower, broccoli, etc) and leafy greens first. The squashes followed by the good stuff like sugar snap peas, carrots, avocado, etc. and finally fruit. My kids get no almonds or seeds until they are 11 weeks or so and then only as treats... establishing good eating habits now pays dividends down the road. We humans should keep in mind that for wilds nuts and sunflower seeds are pretty much a bounty of the fall season only and the rest of the year is other greens and bark and other things... sure, they have some nuts buried for the occasional treat...

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Mel1959 (09-12-2019)