Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Esbilac UPDATE: OK to use

Default Re: Esbilac Warning (Fall 2019)

I just wanted to verify before I use the temporary goat milk formula. I read a thread from 2015 I think that says never give a squirrel cows milk. I’m just concerned because heavy whipping cream and yogurt or made from cows milk and I don’t want to hurt my baby. I know you can find goat milk yogurt, but I’ve never seen heavy whipping cream that wasn’t from a cow. Anyone have any suggestions

What you read is correct. We never use cows milk for baby squirrels. It is extremely nutrient deficient. The temporary goat milk recipe has been used for many years as a temporary formula. It works great for what it is intended for. It is a TEMPORARY formula that can be used until proper formula can be ordered. For many years we recommended Esbilac. It could be purchased locally so a temporary formula wasn’t needed. Last fall, Esbilac completely failed baby wildlife and resulted in the death of many. They ‘supposedly’ corrected the problem but most will never forgive them for this disaster. They wouldn’t even recall the defective crap so it is still on the shelves and killing babies even this year.

The temporary goat milk recipe does have heavy cream that comes from cows and I assume most yogurt does as well. Cow milk isn’t poison to baby squirrels, it is extremely nutritionally deficient. To be honest with you, goat milk is also nutritionally deficient but it is a highly digestive milk that can be used until formula arrives.

Are you aware that there is a ‘new’ goat milk temporary recipe. It has different proportions of the ingredients and a 1/2 egg yoke. It is slightly more nutritious that the original recipe.

Have you ordered your permanent formula yet? Which one? How old is your baby?

EDIT: Actually the recipe at the beginning of this thread IS the new temporary recipe.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Chirps (04-03-2020)

I have a baby round tailed ground squirrel. Not exactly sure how old she is, but she just opened her eyes On Wednesday. I ordered the Fox Valley Day One was 20/50 formula as it was a recurring suggestion in previous posts. It should be here in 2-3 days. I’ve only given her the Esbilac since I found her last Sunday. it was the only suggested food online until I found this board. I take it I should slowly transition her to the goat milk formula?

I did hydrate her with pedialight the first day and then transitioned to food. She was slightly dehydrated when I found her.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sassysaffy from:

Chirps (04-03-2020)

Sorry you didn’t get a response. Yes, transition her to the homemade goat milk formula until your Fox Valley arrives. How’s she doing?

Default Re: Esbilac Warning (Ongoing)

Hi, I ordered Esbilac after seeing it recommended everywhere but now I've come across this forum and scared of using it now. Do I or dont I?

The one I've ordered has the blue banner saying it has prebiotics in it. Does that mean it's ok to use?

What is the expiration date?
    As long as it is after 10/21 it's ok. I would suggest mixing 1/4 part heavy cream to the mixture you make of 1 part powder and 2 parts very hot water that you have let sit in ftidge for 8 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokev999 View Post
    Hi, I ordered Esbilac after seeing it recommended everywhere but now I've come across this forum and scared of using it now. Do I or dont I?

The one I've ordered has the blue banner saying it has prebiotics in it. Does that mean it's ok to use?
    Last edited by Bravo; 07-24-2020 at 08:46 AM.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    As long as it is after 10/21 it's ok. I would suggest mixing 1/4 part heavy cream to the mixture you make of 1 part powder and 2 parts very hot water that you have let sit in ftidge for 8 hours
    [/QUOTE]

Ok lovely, its arriving today so I'll check. When you say heavy cream do you just mean double cream? I'm in UK? Or is it a special cream I need to find?

Thanks for your help.

Cream you would use for making whipped cream.
    When I say 1/4 part of cream, I mean 1/4 of the amount of powder you use. Not 1/4 of the total amount. So if you use 1 teaspoon powder to 2 teaspoons water, you would add 1/4 teaspoon of cream.

Ok lovely, its arriving today so I'll check. When you say heavy cream do you just mean double cream? I'm in UK? Or is it a special cream I need to find?

Thanks for your help.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your help.[/QUOTE]

Double cream has WAY more fat in it than heavy whipping cream. Heavy cream is used to make whipped cream to top deserts - it is also used in coffee if you want it really decadent. In the US it is sold in the same case as the milk and creamers, in tiny milk cartons.

Thank you.

The formula arrived and it had the blue banner but it didn't say anything in the banner so I've gone with the home formula instead. I bought whipping cream as the contents looked the most similar to heavy cream.

They've enjoyed it today so I'll continue with this until 4 weeks and the Fox formula arrives.

Thanks all

What is the expiration date on the bottom of the can?

What is the expiration date on the bottom of the can?
    October 2021. I assume that means it's no good?

October 2021. I assume that means it's no good?
    Anything from October 2021 on is the good one.

As long as it is after 10/21 it's ok. I would suggest mixing 1/4 part heavy cream to the mixture you make of 1 part powder and 2 parts very hot water that you have let sit in ftidge for 8 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    If you have a can of Esbilac powder with an expiration date of 10/2021 you can USE IT. The manufacturer corrected the issue that caused such horrible problems last year (see banner above) and any can with that expiration date or LATER is fine. I used it for mine this past spring and so did other rehabbers I know, but I did add Ultra Boost to the formula. Rats' digestion is somewhat different from squirrels' (less delicate, and they are omnivorous and nocturnal), so IMHO you can use the Esbilac.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Anything from October 2021 on is the good one.

Would you recommend the Esbilac over the home made formula?

Personally I would, so long as you add either heavy whipping cream or Fox Valley Ultra Boost to the Esbilac. A number of rehabbers have reported, unfortunately, that the homemade formula caused diarrhea
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Yes, I agree with IR and would go with Esbilac with cream added.
    Would you recommend the Esbilac over the home made formula?

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

island rehabber (07-27-2020)

Ok thank you. So just want to check I've got this right - sorry for all the questions but best to be safe than sorry. Boil water, let it sit in the fridge for at least 8 hours and then use 2 parts of that, 1 part powder and then 1 part heavy cream?

Is there a limit of how long i keep the boiled water in the fridge or do i have to keep replacing it every time I use it? Just thinking that I'd need about 6 cups of water in there throughout the day if I need to keep having it fresh after 8 hours.

Whilst we're talking about food, do you worry if 1 feed every now and then they don't seem to want it? I've tried weeing and pooping the boy and he's done a bit but hasn't seemed as eager for his feeds the last 2 times. I'm trying not to worry as they've all seemed to have done this on occasions but then guzzle the next one down. Would you island rehabbers say that can be normal or something to be alarmed at?

Whilst we're talking about food, do you worry if 1 feed every now and then they don't seem to want it? I've tried weeing and pooping the boy and he's done a bit but hasn't seemed as eager for his feeds the last 2 times. I'm trying not to worry as they've all seemed to have done this on occasions but then guzzle the next one down. Would you island rehabbers say that can be normal or something to be alarmed at?
    Just answered this question in your other thread.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

[QUOTE=Spanky;1299706]PetAg, the makers of Esbilac puppy formula, has recently informed some Esbilac users that the “ingredient particles” of the calcium source in the Esbilac formula may be too large to be properly digested by small mammals. This change appears to have been made in recent months.

TSB has been seeing members report a higher than normal rate of diarrhea, constipation, bloating and now bone (MBD) issues with babies being fed the Esbilac formula in the fall 2019 season.

Update 10/02/2019
    As a result of the Esbilac fiasco the following is a "permanent" formula for use for babies up to 4 weeks old.

hGMF+ (Homemade Goat's Milk Formula Plus (Not temporary, for use in babies up to 4 weeks)):

[LIST][*]3 parts Goat's Milk
    [*][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=comic sans

Is heavy cream the same thing as heavy wipping cream.?

Why do some rehabbers state that it should never be used?

Mary

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast