Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Esbilac UPDATE: OK to use

Wink Re: Esbilac Warning (Ongoing)

I have 3 baby pink and a little black eastern baby squirrels. We had to cut down our old Maple tree and in one of the parts of the tree were two baby squirrels. Then another baby squirrel was found on the ground near another tree. I read a lot of information and some contradict one another so I do not know what I need to do because right now the 3 babies are having issues.
    I started giving the 3 babies Pedialyte to hydrate them than I started with the formula Esbilac with the prebiotics and probiotics and followed the directions of 2 part water to 1 part of the formula that I saw on a video. Then when overnight my babies became very thin. I read more and more information and I found out that I was supposed to start 3 parts water and 1 part formula. Then I started feeding them with this strength and first dehydrating them. I have been stimulating the squirrels every feeding and their bowels have been very loose. They are still very thin and I need help to bring them back to being healthy. I tried to contact my area vets and no one will help me. I went on Henry's Pet Food and this company brought me to your organization. Please help me save my babies.

Default Re: Esbilac Warning (Ongoing)

Was there any chance of mom returning? Moms usually have more than one nest and will take their babies back even if they’ve been handled. They must be kept warm and you must watch over them. If you place them in a box that mom can access and it’s near where you found them she may retrieve them. That would be best if it’s possible.

What is the expiration date of your Esbilac? This is very important. If it has an expiration date of 10/21 or later, it is probably ok to use, as other rehabbers have had no problems with it. I assume this was not a can that you had for awhile. If it is, how it’s been stored is important, too. The can must be kept refrigerated and if stored for a long period of time, kept in the freezer. Is this powdered formula and not liquid? They ARE NOT the same. Liquid Esbilac has always caused diarrhea.

If you’ve visited the Henrys website then I’m sure you saw the 6 page instructions on caring for baby squirrels. It’s important to keep the babies warm. Rehydrate them and then feed them. The milk line on their tummies should go down before you feed them again.

An alternative to Esbilac is the homemade goats milk formula with an egg yolk can be found by clicking on the Esbilac banner at the top of the page.

cbcoors Guest

i don't know if it will help, but i had a baby fall out of our tree. went on google, and asked how does a baby squirrel call for its moma..played the video and mom
    was at my feet. went over to the baby and played again with my phone next to baby. mom got her and off they went. my wife loved it when mom scared me because
    she was there so quick..good luck

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cbcoors:

Chirps (08-03-2020), island rehabber (09-06-2020), Mel1959 (08-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Yes, I agree with IR and would go with Esbilac with cream added.
    Hi, I've had my fox valley for squirrels from 4 weeks onwards arrive. Do i now stop feeding esbilac and give this instead? They're 4 weeks old tomorrow.

Yes, transition to the Fox Valley. Mix both your current formula and the FV formula according to directions, 1 part powder to 2 parts hot water. Ideally, these should sit for several hours to completely liquefy, stirring before feeding.

Once the formulas are ready fill your feeding syringe with 75% of the old formula and 25% of the new FV formula. Feed like this for a few feedings. After that fill your syringe with 50% old formula and 50% FV for a few feedings, then go to 25% old formula and 75% FV in the syringe. After that then you will be at 100% FV. This transition should take a couple of days and will allow your little ones stomach to adjust gradually to the new formula.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

island rehabber (08-14-2020), Jokev999 (08-14-2020)

I am wondering if the goats milk/yogurt/egg formula mixture can be frozen as my ingredients will expire before they can be consumed.
    Thanks

Yes, mix it up and then freeze it in ice cube trays. Other folks have done it and said it worked fine.

Question Re: Esbilac Warning (Fall 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by whisperer View Post
    My can still has the blue banner, just not with pre and probiotics listed in the banner
    So wait is this product bad or okay?

I’m so confused by all these posts. (⊙.☉)7

Default Re: Esbilac Warning (Fall 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Squrriel_lover_24 View Post
    So wait is this product bad or okay?

I’m so confused by all these posts. (⊙.☉)7
    As of today... 09/06/2020... the consensus seems to be Esbilac with an expiration date of 10/2021 or later is okay (PetAg corrected the Calcium issue and lots of this date and later are okay).

Disclaimer: I personally have not used Esbilac since the debacle of 2019.

Default Re: Esbilac Warning (Fall 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    As of today... 09/06/2020... the consensus seems to be Esbilac with an expiration date of 10/2021 or later is okay (PetAg corrected the Calcium issue and lots of this date and later are okay).

Disclaimer: I personally have not used Esbilac since the debacle of 2019.
    Just noticed this. This could be a game changer for part-time citizen rehabbers in states with no access to licensed rehabbers and mandatory euthanasia laws (I’m looking at you, Oregon).

I bought a new can of Esbilac with the expiration date on 06/2022. Is it supposed to look clumpy? The first can was one of the “crafted in the USA “, it was fine and powdery. Should I take this one back to exchange for another one? I have been mixing it 50/50 with Fox Valley 20/50 as of now because my 5-6 week old squirrel would get constipated when I was trying to transition her to more of the Fox Valley. She has been on the 50/50 mix for a couple of days and her bowel movements have slowed from every other feeding to maybe once a day.

Oh and do you refrigerate the Fox Valley powder as you do the Esbilac?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Lillamys View Post
    I bought a new can of Esbilac with the expiration date on 06/2022. Is it supposed to look clumpy? The first can was one of the “crafted in the USA “, it was fine and powdery. Should I take this one back to exchange for another one? I have been mixing it 50/50 with Fox Valley 20/50 as of now because my 5-6 week old squirrel would get constipated when I was trying to transition her to more of the Fox Valley. She has been on the 50/50 mix for a couple of days and her bowel movements have slowed from every other feeding to maybe once a day.

Oh and do you refrigerate the Fox Valley powder as you do the Esbilac?
    Good to use Esbilac / FV half and half IMO.

That look like normal "room temperature" Esbilac to me. Yes, keep it in the freezer after opening.

I raised mine on scalded milk, heavy whipping cream & vitamin E oil. We never had upset stomach & she is the picture of health at 8 months old. I put her on Henry's blocks at the time she came off milk with no health issues ever except when I went to exotic blend food & she would not eat rodent blocks so we ordered more Henry's & made tums available until it arrived.
    Name:  163534663_189622169357282_5463079210672496809_n.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  54.0 KB younger picture

Quote Originally Posted by cha_she69 View Post
    I raised mine on scalded milk, heavy whipping cream & vitamin E oil. We never had upset stomach & she is the picture of health at 8 months old.
    You are extremely, extremely fortunate. More babies die on scalded milk "formulas" than any other -- and their deaths are slow and awful. We never recommend it here on TSB, EVER.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

17. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Diggie's Friend (03-23-2021), Mel1959 (03-23-2021), Nancy in New York (03-24-2021), Spanky (03-23-2021)

PetAg, the makers of Esbilac puppy formula, has corrected the problem that caused serious issues in baby squirrels and other mammals back in 2019. Pet Ag has restored the type of ingredient formerly used in its well-known formula prior to 2019 so that it is safe again to use on babies from 0-4 weeks old. TSB can now highly recommend DRY, POWDERED ESBILAC puppy formula for baby squirrels, (NOT Esbilac liquid, NOT Petlac and NOT Esbilac Second Stage.)

Any lot (can) of Esbilac with an expiration date of 10/2021 OR LATER is safe. Many of us have been using it for pinkies through eyes-open for over a year with no issues whatsoever.

(There are also several alternatives to Esbilac for pinkies that are based on goat's milk, including this one:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ilk-Formula***)

We recommend adding Fox Valley Ultra Boost to Esbilac in these ratios:

0-2 weeks: 1 part Ultra Boost to 3 parts Esbilac
    2 weeks to eyes open: 1 parts Ultra Boost to 2 parts Esbilac
    Eyes open to weaning: 2 parts Fox Valley 20/50 to one part UB*

*Heavy whipping cream can be used while waiting for the Ultra Boost to arrive

Here are links to a few of the on-line retailers of Fox Valley 20/50:

https://www.henryspets.com/fox-valle...formula-20-50/

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Valley-DA.../dp/B00EFX23LM

Many thanks to Spanky, Gayle and other Admins who have worked on this problem and come up with other workable formulas. Because Esbilac is the only readily available formula (sold in retail stores) for baby squirrels, it was deemed essential that we now spread the word that it is again safe -- IF the expiration date is 10/2021 or later.

island rehabber
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic929_1.gif

19. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Bravo:

Buddy (04-09-2021), island rehabber (04-10-2021), Mel1959 (04-10-2021), Nancy in New York (04-10-2021), S-Mom (04-10-2021), Tootsie's mom (08-31-2021)

Default Re: Esbilac UPDATE: OK to use

Just clarifying. This is ok to use, right? Name:  Screenshot_20210412-113445_Chrome.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  49.3 KB

Some folks have had problems with it. I’ve never used it. I’ve only ever used the regular powdered Esbilac not the goats milk Esbilac.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

island rehabber (04-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Some folks have had problems with it. I’ve never used it. I’ve only ever used the regular powdered Esbilac not the goats milk Esbilac.
    I've been feeding GME it to my two babies from one week old to now (almost 6 weeks). They both have been having soft stool the last 2 days. I am not overfeeding because I weigh every day and feed 5% body weight. I always saw on here to get powdered Esbilac with an expiration after 10/2021. Which I did. The can says "powdered esbilac" on it. So that's what I got but I didn't know there was a different one that doesn't say goats milk on it. So should I switch to the other one? The one with the white puppy on the front, right? Can something be edited in the original post that states which powdered esbilac is best? Because I didn't see anywhere where it said "Don't use the goats milk powdered esbilac." Also, how do I transition? Should I rehydrate with a homemade pedialyte solution? I'm so upset that I've been feeding the wrong thing!!!

I feel like I'm going to throw up. My heart is racing. I'm getting the normal stuff immediately. Any advice is welcome please.

You can give them some hydration to flush their system, but the goats milk Esbilac isn’t as bad as the liquid Esbilac or the Pet Lac stuff.

Transition by mixing both formulas independently according to the directions....1 part powder to 2 parts hot water. Pull up into your syringe 75% the old formula and 25% the new formula. Feed a feeding of this. The next feeding pull up 50% old formula and 50% new formula and the next feeding pull up 25% old formula and 75% new formula. After that you’ll be at 100% new formula.

Since they already have loose stool you may not be able to tell that the transition upsets their system. This is a quick transition, ideally it’s nice to take a couple of days to transition over, but they should be fine. Continue to offer water in between feedings to help replace some hydration lost from the loose stool.

You can also add some full fat vanilla yogurt to their formula to provide some extra probiotics.....about a 1/2 tsp.

Edit: I see Crittermom has advised to get fox valley 20/50. �� The transition would be the same, just do a couple of feedings at each new formula combination instead of just one feeding. ��

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Kaitlinrose101 (04-15-2021)

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast