Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Esbilac Warning (Ongoing)

Default Re: Esbilac Warning (Fall 2019)

I just wanted to verify before I use the temporary goat milk formula. I read a thread from 2015 I think that says never give a squirrel cows milk. Iím just concerned because heavy whipping cream and yogurt or made from cows milk and I donít want to hurt my baby. I know you can find goat milk yogurt, but Iíve never seen heavy whipping cream that wasnít from a cow. Anyone have any suggestions

What you read is correct. We never use cows milk for baby squirrels. It is extremely nutrient deficient. The temporary goat milk recipe has been used for many years as a temporary formula. It works great for what it is intended for. It is a TEMPORARY formula that can be used until proper formula can be ordered. For many years we recommended Esbilac. It could be purchased locally so a temporary formula wasn’t needed. Last fall, Esbilac completely failed baby wildlife and resulted in the death of many. They ‘supposedly’ corrected the problem but most will never forgive them for this disaster. They wouldn’t even recall the defective crap so it is still on the shelves and killing babies even this year.

The temporary goat milk recipe does have heavy cream that comes from cows and I assume most yogurt does as well. Cow milk isn’t poison to baby squirrels, it is extremely nutritionally deficient. To be honest with you, goat milk is also nutritionally deficient but it is a highly digestive milk that can be used until formula arrives.

Are you aware that there is a ‘new’ goat milk temporary recipe. It has different proportions of the ingredients and a 1/2 egg yoke. It is slightly more nutritious that the original recipe.

Have you ordered your permanent formula yet? Which one? How old is your baby?

EDIT: Actually the recipe at the beginning of this thread IS the new temporary recipe.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Chirps (04-03-2020)

I have a baby round tailed ground squirrel. Not exactly sure how old she is, but she just opened her eyes On Wednesday. I ordered the Fox Valley Day One was 20/50 formula as it was a recurring suggestion in previous posts. It should be here in 2-3 days. Iíve only given her the Esbilac since I found her last Sunday. it was the only suggested food online until I found this board. I take it I should slowly transition her to the goat milk formula?

I did hydrate her with pedialight the first day and then transitioned to food. She was slightly dehydrated when I found her.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sassysaffy from:

Chirps (04-03-2020)

Sorry you didn’t get a response. Yes, transition her to the homemade goat milk formula until your Fox Valley arrives. How’s she doing?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456