Thread: baby squirrel poorly

missyc Guest

Default baby squirrel poorly

hi i have a baby squirrel, had him for a few days but woke up yesterday to find he had escaped the box i had set up for him and was in a toy box freezing cold and none responsive, i quickly got him warm and started bottle feeding, hes a bit better but still not trying to eat or move about much, he was very active prior to this happening, how long does it take for him to get back to normal?

Default Re: baby squirrel poorly

Quote Originally Posted by missyc View Post
    hi i have a baby squirrel, had him for a few days but woke up yesterday to find he had escaped the box i had set up for him and was in a toy box freezing cold and none responsive, i quickly got him warm and started bottle feeding, hes a bit better but still not trying to eat or move about much, he was very active prior to this happening, how long does it take for him to get back to normal?
    Using a bottle to feed baby squirrels is not good as they tend to end up getting the formula into their lungs and coming down with them Aspiration Pneumonia (AP).

If they come down with AP they have a "clicking" sound when they breath, they will have this click with every breath. They also become lethargic and loose their appetite.

Let us know if he has this clicking sound, and if he does he will need antibiotics to recover. Check the medicine cabinets for any antibiotics, call family and friends.. even if he is okay right now having the antibiotics on hand when caring for a baby squirrels is a good thing since if the do get AP it can take them very quickly. Preferred antiobiotic for AP is Baytril (that is an animal antibiotic) or Cipro (human). You will need only one pill... if you find something else, post the name and someone will let you know if it will work and help with doing if it is needed.

Also important: What type of formula are you feeding?

Here is a link to a 6 page long primer on squirrel care, after reviewing this if you have any questions please ask them:
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-caring-...baby-squirrel/

missyc Guest

hi thank you for replying, he was clicking yesterday when i first found him but hes not now, he seemed to be getting better but has gone limper since this morning, im using lactol formula its the only one i could get, he also tried eating this morning but not since, he's just getting worse as the day goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by missyc View Post
    hi thank you for replying, he was clicking yesterday when i first found him but hes not now, he seemed to be getting better but has gone limper since this morning, im using lactol formula its the only one i could get, he also tried eating this morning but not since, he's just getting worse as the day goes on.

In the UK we recommend the Royal Canin puppy formula. Puppy formulas are not all the same and for squirrels the source of protein and fat are important as well as adequate amounts of calcium. The majority of puppy formulas use soy for protein and milk for aft, neither are good for squirrels. Preferred is whey protein and heavy cream for fat.

Here is a temporary formula you may want to try to see if he responds better to that:
    TEMPORARY GOAT'S MILK FORMULA:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Can you post a picture of the baby? And were you able to locate any antibiotics at all... it seems as though he may need them sooner rather than later.

missyc Guest

its sunday here in the uk theres no where i can get the ingredients all the big shops are closed, rang around for antibiotics with no luck! i feel so helpless now! i have also been giving him the water,sugar and salt mixture please say thats safe? there's no vets until tomorrow plus he's a grey squirrel so they won't treat him in the uk, is there anything else safe like ibrupofen?

Yes, hydration is safe but using a syringe is the way to go over a bottle.

Homemade hydration recipe:
    1 tsp salt (teaspoon)
    3 Tbsp sugar (tablespoon)
    1 quart warm water
    Mix all ingredients in warm water. Store in refrigerator.

The pharmacy may be willing to give you a few syringes if you ask (1ml or 3ml at the biggest)... I tell them I am feeding neonate kittens.. everyone loves kittens, squirrels not so much.. plus with the anti-grey squirrel sentiment there...

While most grocers here in the states do not carry fresh goat's milk, most do have powdered goat's milk (usually with the condensed milk, etc.... at least here). That would be something easily digestible and provide a few calories.

What is the ibuprofen for... does he appear to be in pain?

Don't give up on finding antibiotics... if any family or friends have dogs or cats they may have animal antibiotics?

missyc Guest

hi i have managed to get some antibiotics! what will i do?? also got some yogurt but hes only been taking fluid

missyc Guest

they are human antibiotics

What is the drug name and strength? And can you weigh the squirrel (kitchen scales work well for this)... medicines are dosed by weight.

missyc Guest

he's 121 grams
    the antibiotics are phenoxymethylpenicillin 250 mg

Augh! Penicillin cannot be used in squirrels...

Edit: Sorry if that read weird... my "augh" was merely disappointment that you are trying so hard and when we thought we had an option we discover it is not. I know you are trying hard and hopefully someone will turn up something... Cipro, Baytril, Augmentin, Clavamox, Doxycycline (must not be expired)< Bactrim are a few that work well with AP. Some others can work as well but sometimes more slowly.

missyc Guest

Ah nooo....
    i dont think he will last the night the way he's going! if it had been any other day but sunday when everywhere is closed
    i'm at a loss now

Any chance there is a pet store open that has a large fish / aquarium selection? Here in the US these places sell antibiotics for use in aquarium for treating fish. There is a version of Cipro sold as "Fish Flox" at these stores.

missyc Guest

sorry he's died, i thought he was getting to weak to fast, i feel i have wasted your time now sorry

I am sorry he did not make it... thank you for being with him so he did not die alone and cold in the cruel world.

RIP Sweet Baby.

missyc Guest

i only had him a few days but got such a bond with him, i'm so sad he got poorly and i couldn't save him

thank you for all of your advice i only wish i had found you earlier

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to missyc:

Nancy in New York (09-08-2019), Spanky (09-08-2019)

Mr Tickles Guest

Default Re: baby squirrel poorly.

You did your best for him and he died in a warm safe place.We want to save them all but we can’t.😢

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mr Tickles from:

Diggie's Friend (09-09-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.