Thread: Can Squirrels eat vegan protein powder oats?

Ghalexy Guest

Default Can Squirrels eat vegan protein powder oats?

Okay, I here recently got a baby Gray Squirrel. I don't know here exact age but she has pretty full fur with flecks of gray throughout it. She is about the size of my hand. My question was can she eat my vegan protein cereal? It's just oats, 2 scoops of French Vanilla Vegan Powder and One large scoop of peanut butter. When I wasn't watching she stole a single oat out of my bowl and she seemed to love it. I don't want to make it a habit because I'm not sure if it's healthy for her or would cause any health problems.

Default Re: Can Squirrels eat vegan protein powder oats?

Definitely not. They should only be fed a specific formula for squirrels till they are weaned,

and then a supportive rodent block formula before introducing other foods to include in their diet.

A rehabber will come on soon to advise you what specific formula to feed your baby squirrel.

Tree squirrels are omnivores, not strict herbivores; as juveniles they consume mostly plant sources: nuts seeds, tree fruits and berries,

flowers of non toxic plants also vegetables, non toxic mushrooms, bird eggs, insects and their larvae, and leafy greens to a lesser extent as adults.

In the meantime, please post a photo so they can determine the age of the baby.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

redwuff (09-08-2019)

Default Re: Can Squirrels eat vegan protein powder oats?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghalexy View Post
    Okay, I here recently got a baby Gray Squirrel. I don't know here exact age but she has pretty full fur with flecks of gray throughout it. She is about the size of my hand. My question was can she eat my vegan protein cereal? It's just oats, 2 scoops of French Vanilla Vegan Powder and One large scoop of peanut butter. When I wasn't watching she stole a single oat out of my bowl and she seemed to love it. I don't want to make it a habit because I'm not sure if it's healthy for her or would cause any health problems.

Not sure if the peanut butter being used is the sugary commercial stuff (Jiff, Skippy, etc.) but generally peanut butter is not a great food for squirrels (the sugary stuff being worse)... peanuts themselves are calcium depleting and should be avoided. Of course as an occasional "treat" it would not be harmful.

I'd have concerns the Vanilla Vegan Powder without knowing what is in there... a lot of people products have "human levels" of certain ingredients, like maybe Vitamin D, that can be harmful, even fatal, to a squirrel. Not worth the risk IMO.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Diggie's Friend (09-07-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.