Thread: Help i am sure my grey squirrel has MBD

moriley Guest

Default Help i am sure my grey squirrel has MBD

I have a grey squirrel that is 18 months old. i have been on vacation for 1 week and just came home to find her pretty sick. i have researched and i am sure she has MBD. I tried the tums in syringe and she would not have any part of it and she growled at me. she has never been aggressive towards me. she has bit everyone else in my house a time or 2 but never me.I was able to crush a tums up in peanut butter and she did eat half of that on a cracker. please can someone guide me here on what to do for her. I never wanted to be this attached to her. She was abandoned after a tree was cut down and she fell out and i planned on releasing her but that never happened she got to friendly to quick. I just went to cvs and picked up a bottle of "calcium magnesium & zink" I do not know how much to give her or even if this is good to give her. please help.

Default Re: Help i am sure my grey squirrel has MBD

No, for MBD you will want to use the Tums. Make sure you have the fruit flavor, not a mint flavor (rodents hate mint). I find that squirrels will eat nearly anything if it is mixed with a tiny bit of nutella.

Can you tell us why you are sure your squirrel has MBD? What is her diet?

moriley Guest

corn, apples, nuts, acorns, sunflower seeds, green beans. all the things she loves? i found out today are mostly bad.

Yes, you are right. She has MBD. Getting the calcium down her is absolutely VITAL.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-MBD-Treatment

Read this - it is long but it has a lot of info that you need right now to treat your squirrel.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Grinderhead (09-01-2019), Spanky (09-01-2019)

moriley Guest

thank u so much. After everything I have seen and heard today, I dont know how she has survived for 18 months. My plan was to release her and before i knew it she was chasing my big dogs around, I knew then she would never be able to be set free. she fears NOTHING, I am so attached to her. I am sure going to educate myself about it now. thanks again.

This is the link to healthy diet for captive/pet squirrels.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Henry’s Healthy Pets sells a block made specifically for squirrels. You should order some. You should get the Picky Eater block. It is packed with vitamins and minerals. https://www.henryspets.com/picky-blo...ers-rats-mice/

First things first though. Treat for MBD and change the diet.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Grinderhead (09-01-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.