Thread: Not eating rodent block

Default Not eating rodent block

I have two baby squirrels one (Elsa) is @ 6wks and one (Earl) is @ 7wks. They have been on only Esbilac. I introduced Mazuri rodent block about a week ago. At first Earl did chew on it a bit. But now it seems they don’t even touch it. And the kicker is: they have not had anything else to eat!

I rehabbed squirrels last year and wasn’t educated on the proper squirrel diet so my squirrels pretty much refused the block but I had given them other foods prior. This time I’m determined to feed them properly but they aren’t interested in the rodent block.

I was hoping the Mazuir would be well received b/c it’s healthy for them and honestly it would be so much easier to have them getting dependable nutrition from it. It was a pain to have to make all sorts of “squirrel” meals for my squirrels last time. They would eat something and then reject it and refuse it. I could never win unless it was a nut.

I was hoping this time to have a rodent block for free feeding and then put some other foods 1x a day in their bowl to supplement and treat.

I sure appreciate some insight and advice from the experts!

Default Re: Not eating rodent block

I certainly hope they are still on formula! They should be taking formula for many, many weeks yet. At this age, blocks are strictly for nibbling, playing with...getting used to, not being an actual part of the diet. If you have stopped, start again immediately.

Mazuri blocks are fairly nutritious but they really don't taste very good. At this age they won't really be eating much of them anyway, but I must say that most of us use these: I would choose between the "Picky Blocks" or the new ones - the Hazelnut blocks (which my gray and flyer have both just lost their minds over). They are designed with all the nutrition they need put together in a block that actually tastes good.

Default Re: Not eating rodent block

Yes, they are absolutely still on formula! They eagerly take it and I have to cut them off or they’d drink more than they should. I’m following the chart someone on here sent me on cc’s by weight.

Glad to know it’s fine if they aren’t interested in the blocks yet.