Thread: Need help please

Exclamation Need help please

Thumbelina is losing weight FAST been eating great has quite the appetite. At a loss. Just gave 1.5 cc of pedialite as she was a little dehydrated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Need help please

Please help ..she seems to be dehydrating and fast? What do I do?????😭😭😭💔💔help please

I read your other forum and it sounds as if this baby has not been fed enough along with lacking in hydration.
    You can only correct lack of hydration with hydration but they also need the calories.
    I would do a feeding of hydration then the next feed formula and hydrate in between normal feedings.

What is the formula you are feeding this baby?
    Are you feeding between 5-7% body weight?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Yes they told me earlier I was feeding too often? I feed every 2 hours just started on ebsilac last night and up till then she was doing amazingly.... Before that I was using petag I think ....
    It's from Walmart

As stepnstone said, do a feeding of just warm sugar water (from 8 ounces of water with 1.5 teaspoons of sugar dissolved in it).
    Then start doing do three hours feedings of Esbilac formula, up to 2.5ml or until her tummy feels full, and some warm sugar water (around .5 ml) 90 minutes after each feeding.

You mentioned in the other thread that " tent test was about 6 seconds"... that is a lot of water loss, which would show up as a weight loss.
    Most people at this point are fighting a total lack of appetite, and refusal to eat. If she still has appetite you can easily turn the weight loss around.

The drop in weight is most likely from dehydration, while her body mass remains the same.
    As we get her more hydrated, her appetite should increase, and she will steady out, and then start gaining weight again.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

Candyanne2019 (09-01-2019), stepnstone (08-31-2019)

Thumbs up Re: Need help please

Okay so she got down to 21.7 grams but I think finally she's getting some of it back she is at 22.9 and still has the healthiest appetite I've ever seen in a little bitty animal she's definitely a fighter I'm meeting to know what antibiotic I need to get a hold of for the aspiration pneumonia and I need to know if I can do it as a precautionary before symptoms and dosages or how to administer thank you everyone for your help I'm exhausted but she's doing better I can sleep later LOL

The prefered drugs for aspiration pneumonia is clavamox, but in a pinch any antibiotic is better than nothing.

Note that babies often 'click' after a feeding because of fluids in the nose, especially if they are a crazy eater.
    So don't jump to the conclusion that it means pneumonia.
    Listen to what she sounds like just before the NEXT feeding.

Dosing will depend on size at the time you decide to begin treatment.
    You do not want to 'preemptively' give antibiotics.. or they will less effective if they are needed later.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

Candyanne2019 (09-03-2019)

Candyanne, see if you can get Ciprofloxacin, doxycycline, SMZ-TMP (Septra/Bactrim) or Augmentin. Clavamox is a veterinary version of Augmentin (Amoxicillin/ Clavulanic acid). Baytril (veterinary antibiotic) is similar to Ciprofloxacin. Any of these antibiotics would be good to have on hand. It only takes one pill to dose a squirrel. We can dose it for you. Maybe a friend or family member has a left over pill from an old script.

With aspiration pneumonia you will see the appetite decrease rapidly. If your baby is still nursing vigorously, I doubt this is AP. Even so it is always good to have a back up plan. If they do get pneumonia it is very stressful trying to find an antibiotic in a crisis. Now would be a good time to locate one.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Candyanne2019 (09-03-2019)