Thread: What to feed after 5 weeks

Question What to feed after 5 weeks

I made a post before about buying things for the baby and I only got one reply and it was pretty much cage and accories I go to all these different websites and I still don't know what kind of food and vitamins I should get him he's five weeks old almost six I know soon he needs to start having solids in his food and I want to make sure he's the healthiest he can be so I'll give this squirrel board one more shot at this question what kind of food and vitamins are the best for him as he's growing I'm going to order a squirrel cage kit from exotic nutrition it comes with food and treats but I wish I knew specifically the right things he needs at this age I'm hoping that kit will be here Monday I'm ordering tomorrow I would like to order everything at once and maybe get a little guide on what n when I should change from just formula right now I am using a 3 ml two of them I have miracle nipples which I'm gonna get more of and he's on fox valley formula which is the best thing I have gotten him if u ask me I had alot of problems with the puppy milk I couldn't get a stool that wasn't watery or sticky and I felt like he wasn't gaining weight I'm gonna order more fox valley tomorrow as well the only thing I can complain about is it takes me a hour to mix it up really good and I still find chunks sometimes.. anyway if anyone could leave some suggestions that would be awesome if not that's cool too I have been researching trying to find more websites like this where people can help one another and chat hopefully I get some answers.

Default Re: What to feed after 5 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyb View Post
    I made a post before about buying things for the baby and I only got one reply and it was pretty much cage and accories I go to all these different websites and I still don't know what kind of food and vitamins I should get him he's five weeks old almost six I know soon he needs to start having solids in his food and I want to make sure he's the healthiest he can be so I'll give this squirrel board one more shot at this question what kind of food and vitamins are the best for him as he's growing I'm going to order a squirrel cage kit from exotic nutrition it comes with food and treats but I wish I knew specifically the right things he needs at this age I'm hoping that kit will be here Monday I'm ordering tomorrow I would like to order everything at once and maybe get a little guide on what n when I should change from just formula right now I am using a 3 ml two of them I have miracle nipples which I'm gonna get more of and he's on fox valley formula which is the best thing I have gotten him if u ask me I had alot of problems with the puppy milk I couldn't get a stool that wasn't watery or sticky and I felt like he wasn't gaining weight I'm gonna order more fox valley tomorrow as well the only thing I can complain about is it takes me a hour to mix it up really good and I still find chunks sometimes.. anyway if anyone could leave some suggestions that would be awesome if not that's cool too I have been researching trying to find more websites like this where people can help one another and chat hopefully I get some answers.
    The first and only solid food he should be introduced to and eating well before other solids are introduced is a good quality rodent block. Harlen, Mazura, Henry's healthy block (HHB). Henry's is the only rodent block made specifically for squirrels.
    I looked at the exotic nutrition "food kit" for squirrels and personally I wouldn't feed it to any of my rescues. Besides all the combined nuts, it is not a healthy diet for a captive squirrel and the high Phosphorus in that "diet" is just counter productive to any benefit of calcium.
    I'm posting the link on the Healthy diet that is posted in the same forum you posted in under Squirrel Nutrition.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

Also posting link to the Henry's site for their HHB's which is not sold in stores, made fresh and has to be ordered on line:
    https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/?mode=1

Also attaching pictures of recommended rodent block....

Name:  AdultMain__01001.1423351887.1280.1280_edited.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  41.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Mommyb (08-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyb View Post
    My phone's spell check isn't working right

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    The first and only solid food he should be introduced to and eating well before other solids are introduced is a good quality rodent block. Harlen, Mazura, Henry's healthy block (HHB). Henry's is the only rodent block made specifically for squirrels.
    I looked at the exotic nutrition "food kit" for squirrels and personally I wouldn't feed it to any of my rescues. Besides all the combined nuts, it is not a healthy diet for a captive squirrel and the high Phosphorus in that "diet" is just counter productive to any benefit of calcium.
    I'm posting the link on the Healthy diet that is posted in the same forum you posted in under Squirrel Nutrition.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

Also posting link to the Henry's site for their HHB's which is not sold in stores, made fresh and has to be ordered on line:
    https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/?mode=1

Also attaching pictures of recommended rodent block....

Name:  AdultMain__01001.1423351887.1280.1280_edited.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  41.2 KB
    Okay awesome so maybe I should just stick with the cage and not the cage kit and buy the food and stuff from Henry's is there any special vitamins you would suggest for him??

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

If I'm remembering correctly when you first posted someone provided you with this link. https://www.henryspets.com/4-weaning-a-baby-squirrel/

The questions you're asking are addressed in this guide. There are no extra things needed if you follow the healthy diet referred too in the link provided. I'm specifically referring to Page 4.

Exotic Nutrition is absolute crap and shouldn't be fed to a dead animal much less a growing baby. Stick with Henry's Healthy Diet. https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-d...pet-squirrels/

Going to other boards and asking 500 people the same question is going to do nothing but confuse you. We all have different methods. TSB has many differing opinions too, but we are all pretty much on the same page. Whatever you do, stay as far away from Squirrel Nutrition as possible. Just go to Henry's and be done with it.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Exclamation Re: What to feed after 5 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
    If I'm remembering correctly when you first posted someone provided you with this link. https://www.henryspets.com/4-weaning-a-baby-squirrel/

The questions you're asking are addressed in this guide. There are no extra things needed if you follow the healthy diet referred too in the link provided. I'm specifically referring to Page 4.

Exotic Nutrition is absolute crap and shouldn't be fed to a dead animal much less a growing baby. Stick with Henry's Healthy Diet. https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-d...pet-squirrels/

Going to other boards and asking 500 people the same question is going to do nothing but confuse you. We all have different methods. TSB has many differing opinions too, but we are all pretty much on the same page. Whatever you do, stay as far away from Squirrel Nutrition as possible. Just go to Henry's and be done with it.
    I have noticed that every one is doing something different and I am learning a very important skill at this point this little life just happened to fall into my hands and it seems to happen regularly I'm willing and able to do it so I want to do it right I knew kits were sketchy that's why Im stressing it. I have read everything that u have sent me i even have a binder for reference just want to be getting the right things.