Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bloating

Default Bloating

I have had my squirrels for a week I took to vet 2 days ago because I thought I heard clicking & was worried about possible aspiration(learned on this site) 200$ later the dr said only one baby had fluid in the lungs and there was nothing she could give me bc the babies are too young. She said otherwise they were in great health & I definitely saved their life, I’ve been feeding goats milk mixed with water, I just fed & my largest boy (25g as of yesterday) has a bloated tummy and barely ate 25cc when he usually eats 1.25 ml. My squirrels were pinkies when I got them, one still had the umbilical chord my vet said they were probably born the day they were found (the 15 or 16? I did not find them) though I thought they were a couple days as they are grey now (I expect coats by next Thursday eeeek) what should I do or try for the bloated one? They all 3 have been using the restroom well when stimulating and feed well, & my other 2 don’t have bloated tummies:/ pls help! This is my first litter so everything makes me a bit nervous or worried lol thanks all I think I attached a picture? This is from yesterday afternoon squilliam is the one who is now bloated. Chippey is the smallest & the one with fluid but he eats well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Bloating

Name:  F80DD4E3-CDE0-4525-850F-4F5048858DBD.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  41.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithb View Post
    I have had my squirrels for a week I took to vet 2 days ago because I thought I heard clicking & was worried about possible aspiration(learned on this site) 200$ later the dr said only one baby had fluid in the lungs and there was nothing she could give me bc the babies are too young. She said otherwise they were in great health & I definitely saved their life, I’ve been feeding goats milk mixed with water, I just fed & my largest boy (25g as of yesterday) has a bloated tummy and barely ate 25cc when he usually eats 1.25 ml. My squirrels were pinkies when I got them, one still had the umbilical chord my vet said they were probably born the day they were found (the 15 or 16? I did not find them) though I thought they were a couple days as they are grey now (I expect coats by next Thursday eeeek) what should I do or try for the bloated one? They all 3 have been using the restroom well when stimulating and feed well, & my other 2 don’t have bloated tummies:/ pls help! This is my first litter so everything makes me a bit nervous or worried lol thanks all I think I attached a picture? This is from yesterday afternoon squilliam is the one who is now bloated. Chippey is the smallest & the one with fluid but he eats well.
    For those curious I think I have attached the pic of them the day I got them.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Faithb from:

redwuff (08-23-2019)

Are you feeding the formula shown below?
    Edit: I see that you are feeding goat's milk and water, is that correct?
    Here is the GM recipe we use. This is only a temporary formula, as it
    doesn't have the nutritional value a squirrel needs.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    TEMPORARY GOAT'S MILK FORMULA:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
    This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
    This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
    Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

It has been recently discovered that very small pinky squirrels do better with the ESBILAC PUPPY FORMULA, with probiotics, instead of Fox Valley. If the Goat's Milk formula is used, omit the heavy whipping cream for the first two weeks of life.

Faith, you are doing great but there are some things we can help you with. Welcome to TSB. It is not easy starting with such tiny pinkies. Kudos to you my dear

So to start with, the vet was very very wrong. Babies this young can and must be treated for aspiration pneumonia. Baytril/Cipro or Clavamox/augmentin (Animal/human version) are the best drugs to use. Are you still hearing clicking from Chippy? Most likely he does not have AP cos he would be dead by now. AP kills quickly. Another sign that they have AP is way decrease in appetite. You said he is eating well. I would advise you to get one of those drugs to have on hand. You just need a small amount.

If you are feeding just goat milk watered down, you are not providing enough nutrients or calories. I love feeding gm to pinkies but I use a formula that adds 1 part full fat yogurt and 1 part heavy whipping creme to 3 parts goats milk. I like using gm found in the health food store.

Let’s deal with your bloated boy. Get infant gas x and give him a drop of that. Do not feed until you clear the bloat.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Faithb (08-23-2019)

I have been keeping pinkies on the GMF until they reach four weeks old. At that time, I start to slowly transition them with the formula they will be on until they are weaned. That formula is Fox Valley 20/50 which can be bought from Henry’s Healthy Pet on the internet.

Some people like Esbilac formula to feed but I do not, especially to pinkies. I see too many problems with it. But that is my experience and my opinion.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Faithb (08-23-2019)

Posted in another member's forum 8-22
    Re: Dosing antibiotics?
    Originally Posted by Faithb Hi! I am rehabbing my first litter I have 3 babies ( my cousin is a licensed rehabber and has given me lots of advice) I am very well educated on animals and eventually wish to become a licensed rehabber.. my squirrels ranged between 17-21 g when I got them (covered in ant bites almost run over by lawn mower and given to me) and still had umbilical cord attached and were fresh pinkies. I assumed they were a couple days old I got them the 17th and took them to the vet last night (21) as I thought I heard clicking and they were possibly aspirated, and saw here I needed to seek baytril or vet advice. I spent like 10 minutes with the vet and I paid 200$ for the her to tell me they were in almost perfect health (one did have fluid in lungs) but she said there was nothing she could give me or do as they are to young for antibiotics and that he should be okay?

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    This is just wrong on so many points and we have a board full of rehabilatators that have and can prove it wrong. I can't comprehend how fluid in lungs (if that were even true) could magically disappear and "he should be okay" let alone hearing any vet actually said that but obviously it was not AP. With AP there is no getting around antibiotics.
    AP kills without them the same as untreated pneumonia will kill any species.
    Originally Posted by Faithb
    (she said they were probably born the day they were found which was a 1 or 2 days before I got them.) basically
    I just want people to know if your squirrels are as young as mine it might not be cost effective to take them to the vet as they won’t help you, at least mine did not :/ anyway! My squirrels are doing great and I’ve officially had them for a week which I had told myself if I could get them this far I’d probably be in the clear- a long road ahead but hopefully I can get all 3 back to the wild. Sorry for the long post.

All vets are not educated equal, squirrels are wildlife. and at least require a veterinarian educated in wildlife. Domestic vets usually don't and won't even see wildlife.
    Some
    Exotic vets may see wildlife and treat as they would exotics, many vets won't for three basic reasons; They are not educated to treat wildlife. They are not licensed to treat wildlife. They are not Wildlife veterinarians.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Faithb (08-23-2019), Nancy in New York (08-23-2019), redwuff (08-23-2019)

Posted in another member's forum 8-22
    Re: Dosing antibiotics?
    Originally Posted by Faithb Hi! I am rehabbing my first litter I have 3 babies ( my cousin is a licensed rehabber and has given me lots of advice) I am very well educated on animals and eventually wish to become a licensed rehabber.. my squirrels ranged between 17-21 g when I got them (covered in ant bites almost run over by lawn mower and given to me) and still had umbilical cord attached and were fresh pinkies. I assumed they were a couple days old I got them the 17th and took them to the vet last night (21) as I thought I heard clicking and they were possibly aspirated, and saw here I needed to seek baytril or vet advice. I spent like 10 minutes with the vet and I paid 200$ for the her to tell me they were in almost perfect health (one did have fluid in lungs) but she said there was nothing she could give me or do as they are to young for antibiotics and that he should be okay?

Originally Posted by Faithb
    (she said they were probably born the day they were found which was a 1 or 2 days before I got them.) basically
    I just want people to know if your squirrels are as young as mine it might not be cost effective to take them to the vet as they won’t help you, at least mine did not :/ anyway! My squirrels are doing great and I’ve officially had them for a week which I had told myself if I could get them this far I’d probably be in the clear- a long road ahead but hopefully I can get all 3 back to the wild. Sorry for the long post.

Well I did take my babies to a wildlife vet& I was told the vet I saw specializes in squirrels. Now I’m really upset that I exhausted my funds just to have someone as uneducated as me check them out.:/ thanks all for the suggestions I will get infant gasx right now.

On the bloating... feel all of their tummies. Are they all soft like a water balloon, or hard like a rubber ball? Are there any marks like a red rash, or blue or red marks?
    Also (I did not see this mentioned) how often are you feeding them?

Big grats on getting a set of pinkies this far. It appears you have been researching the heck out of how to do it correctly

A big help with diagnosing bloating would be a picture from above, and a picture from the side while they are on their back, to see the coloring and how the stomach is distended.

So far.. this most likely sounds like gas bloat, which simethicone (baby Gas X) should help with.

Also double check with the others here on the best blend of goats milk formula. I don't think it needs to be diluted or you will lose too many calories, and risk diarrhea.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

Faithb (08-23-2019)

when I first got them I fed every 2 hours, as of Wednesday I have started every 2-3 hours (usually like 2 1/2 hours) I fed them .75 ml at first after I got them hydrated and have now started 1ml-1.50 as they have been gaining Wright & getting hungrier, I have switched to undiluted goats milk per the information I have been give on this thread (: I had only diluted because I read a couple places it was best. I was originally feeding puppy milk but my cousin who is licensed said he prefers and would suggest goats milk instead which is why I switched to that. I will look into getting the fox valley that’s suggested here when they are a couple weeks older as suggested by redruff and I tried to get infant gasx but my card was declined (shut off due to fraudulent activity &#128580 and I used all my cash last night at the vet, so my boyfriend is getting some when he gets off soon. I appreciate all the help and advice more than I can say! I’m sure I will be posting again soon with other questions or concerns and I will keep you guys updated on my babes.

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Faith, you are doing great but there are some things we can help you with. Welcome to TSB. It is not easy starting with such tiny pinkies. Kudos to you my dear

So to start with, the vet was very very wrong. Babies this young can and must be treated for aspiration pneumonia. Baytril/Cipro or Clavamox/augmentin (Animal/human version) are the best drugs to use. Are you still hearing clicking from Chippy? Most likely he does not have AP cos he would be dead by now. AP kills quickly. Another sign that they have AP is way decrease in appetite. You said he is eating well. I would advise you to get one of those drugs to have on hand. You just need a small amount.

If you are feeding just goat milk watered down, you are not providing enough nutrients or calories. I love feeding gm to pinkies but I use a formula that adds 1 part full fat yogurt and 1 part heavy whipping creme to 3 parts goats milk. I like using gm found in the health food store.

Let’s deal with your bloated boy. Get infant gas x and give him a drop of that. Do not feed until you clear the bloat.
    I am going to try and attach a picture of squilliam his bloating has gone down since this morning I was unable to get gasx this morning my card was shut off because of fraudulent activity & I spent all my cash at the vet. My boyfriend is getting off in an hour and going to pick some up to have on hand. My chipey hasn’t had a decrease in appetite really, he does eat less than my other 2 but he’s
    A lot smaller, he’s still pretty active & I haven’t noticed any change in him. I did go to a wildlife vets office and was told the vet I saw specialized in squirrels which based on what has been said in these threads. I have started to doubt. I’m attaching a pic of squilliam I don’t really think he’s bloated anymore he definitely was not posing for any pictures though lol I wish I would have taken one this morning when I first noticed the bloating I am a bit sleep deprived so my brain is firing a bit slower lol

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Faithb from:

Nancy in New York (08-23-2019)

Well I did take my babies to a wildlife vet& I was told the vet I saw specializes in squirrels. Now I’m really upset that I exhausted my funds just to have someone as uneducated as me check them out.:/ thanks all for the suggestions I will get infant gasx right now.
    Faith we are always flumaxed by the treatment of some vets. And there are some spectacular vets that I am very grateful to know. We, on this board, see many things over and over, so we are comfortable with treatments we offer. But we are not vets and it is always good to have a safe vet on your side.
    Aspiration pneumonia is very deadly, but is relatively easy to treat with the right antibiotic if caught in time.

Are you weighing your baby everyday? If so feed 5% of the GMF (1 part heavy whipping creme, 1 part full fat yogurt, 3 parts goats milk) and you can space your feedings out. I have a 2 week pinky that came at 1-2 days old (13 g) He gets fed every 3.5 hours. I still do a night feeding with him. He is 32 g but will stop the night feeding when he gets 35 g.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Faithb (08-23-2019)

Faith we are always flumaxed by the treatment of some vets. And there are some spectacular vets that I am very grateful to know. We, on this board, see many things over and over, so we are comfortable with treatments we offer. But we are not vets and it is always good to have a safe vet on your side.
    Aspiration pneumonia is very deadly, but is relatively easy to treat with the right antibiotic if caught in time.

Are you weighing your baby everyday? If so feed 5% of the GMF (1 part heavy whipping creme, 1 part full fat yogurt, 3 parts goats milk) and you can space your feedings out. I have a 2 week pinky that came at 1-2 days old (13 g) He gets fed every 3.5 hours. I still do a night feeding with him. He is 32 g but will stop the night feeding when he gets 35 g.
    Yes! I have been weighing every day I actually weighed like 30 minutes ago chipy (the one who the vet said had fluid in his lungs) weighed 21g yesterday and today he weighed 24g Penelope weighed 22g and is the same today but will weigh again before bed. Squilliam was 25g and is now 26g. When I first got them c was 19g s was 21g and p was 17g

Definitely get the heavy whipping creme into your formula. They need more calories.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Definitely get the heavy whipping creme into your formula. They need more calories.
    Okay I will definitely try that, are they under weight? They are less than 2 weeks.. the vet said they were a healthy weight.

Yes! I have been weighing every day I actually weighed like 30 minutes ago chipy (the one who the vet said had fluid in his lungs) weighed 21g yesterday and today he weighed 24g Penelope weighed 22g and is the same today but will weigh again before bed. Squilliam was 25g and is now 26g. When I first got them c was 19g s was 21g and p was 17g
    Okay I will definitely try that, are they under weight?
    My 15 day old (found at 1 day old) is currently 33 grams. He was 16 grams on day 1, and hit 26 grams on day 10. So yours are doing okay.
    I have him, and my three week olds on a schedule of: 2am - 6am - 9am - noon - 4pm - 7pm - 10pm - 2am (7 feedings, with 2 four hour feedings at night, and a four hour feeding at noon... so I can get some sleep)
    I cap them off at 5% body weight (I weigh them every morning before the 9am feeding) so they do not get too full, and the 4 hours periods help them fully digest and empty more.
    I would not push them into anything longer than 4 hours until their eyes open.

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

Faithb (08-23-2019), redwuff (08-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    My 15 day old (found at 1 day old) is currently 33 grams. He was 16 grams on day 1, and hit 26 grams on day 10. So yours are doing okay.
    I have him, and my three week olds on a schedule of: 2am - 6am - 9am - noon - 4pm - 7pm - 10pm - 2am (7 feedings, with 2 four hour feedings at night, and a four hour feeding at noon... so I can get some sleep)
    I cap them off at 5% body weight (I weigh them every morning before the 9am feeding) so they do not get too full, and the 4 hours periods help them fully digest and empty more.
    I would not push them into anything longer than 4 hours until their eyes open.
    Thanks very much! I have been really concerned about under feeding but now I’m concerned I may be over feeding ugh! I’m getting the hang of it though and am definitely going to try an implement this schedule

Default Bloating? Maybe?

I posted yesterday about bloating. I gave infant gasx but nothing changed. My little ones stomachs are firm still feel like a water balloon I’m attaching pictures. They eat well & use the restroom well and are not lethargic or anything I feed every 2 1/2 to 3 hours and usually do .75-1ml they weigh 22g-26g as of last nightName:  AEBC738A-654E-4110-8071-1542E7C9BDA7.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  63.1 KBName:  76BC261E-67D6-424D-96C2-FB2BAFF2724F.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  61.9 KBName:  3F037FA7-31FE-4A73-A263-8B75BB811136.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  60.6 KB these are the best photos I took they’re a bit camera shy my babies are a little over a week old. A vet said they were probably born the day they were found which was the 15 or 16th (I did not find them) I have had them since the 17th.

Default Re: Bloating? Maybe?

Maybe these are better

Hi Faith,

It helps us a lot if you keep your posts in one thread. Otherwise we have to go and search to see what the big picture is.

So yesterday we gave you some diet suggestions about adding creme and yogurt to the formula. Can you tell us if you implemented any?

Their tummies are bloated. Stay at 5% and stretch feedings out to 3.5 -4 hours. Feed 6 times a day. What type of goats milk do you use?

Give gas x again.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Okay sorry. Yes I am doing canned goats milk evaporated and whipping cream I will do gas x again now.

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Faithb from:

redwuff (08-24-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast