Thread: HELP! Baby showing pneumonia signs

whitneyverble Guest

Exclamation HELP! Baby showing pneumonia signs

I’ve got about a four weeker that got a little carried away during feeding last night and aspirated. This evening she’s sneezing regularly and seems to be mouth breathing. Also have heard that dreaded clicking noise on occasion. None of the vets in my area will administer antibiotics to wildlife. What can I do?

Default Re: HELP! Baby showing pneumonia signs

I cant help you cause Im in the same boat. I don't even know how old my little dude/dudette is it don't even have its eyes open yet, it was my fault he aspirated today, cause I was feeding it and sneezed and when I did I accidently pushed the plunger in .Good Luck I hope you and I can figure this out.

Hi, for AP you must have antibiotics. Cipro/Baytril or augmentin/Clavamox are the best. Ask family or friends. All you need is one pill. We need the strength of the med and the weight of the baby and we can dose the med for you. Don’t delay. AP is deadly. If you find any other antibiotics, ask us we can tell you if it can be used.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by amc11 View Post
    I cant help you cause Im in the same boat. I don't even know how old my little dude/dudette is it don't even have its eyes open yet, it was my fault he aspirated today, cause I was feeding it and sneezed and when I did I accidently pushed the plunger in .Good Luck I hope you and I can figure this out.
    If you post a picture we can help you age your baby. Do you have a scale and are you weighing daily?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

whitneyverble Guest

Exclamation Re: HELP! Baby showing pneumonia signs

Okay I’ve scoured my cabinets and here’s what I have.

Polymyxin B Sulfate and Trimethoprim Opthalmic Solution, USP - antibiotic eye drops. 10ML bottle. 10,000 units/ML of polymyxin B sulfate. Trimethoprim sulfate equivalent to trimethoprim 1mg/ml. - still in date

I have 2 tablets of doxycycline 100 mg from my dog. - in date.

I have cephalexin 500 mg tabs - expired 2012

I have amoxicillin 500 mg - expired 2013

Exclamation Re: HELP! Baby showing pneumonia signs

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    If you post a picture we can help you age your baby. Do you have a scale and are you weighing daily?

We need to know the baby's weight to dose the antibiotics... do you have a kitchen scale? A scale is also important for determining the proper amount of formula to feed as well.

If you do not have a scale right now we'll need a picture to estimate the weight... not the best way to dose, but time is against the baby if this is AP. Place the baby next to something like a soda can or soup can to help provide reference as to their size.

Edit: I see you made a post saying you did not have a scale while I was responding... we'll need a picture then.

whitneyverble Guest

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Hi, for AP you must have antibiotics. Cipro/Baytril or augmentin/Clavamox are the best. Ask family or friends. All you need is one pill. We need the strength of the med and the weight of the baby and we can dose the med for you. Don’t delay. AP is deadly. If you find any other antibiotics, ask us we can tell you if it can be used.

My baby is 140 grams.

In addition to the other antibiotics I listed above I also found clindamycin 150 mg left over from dog. In date.

whitneyverble Guest

And fishbiotics penicillin 250 mg tablets - in date

Quote Originally Posted by whitneyverble View Post
    And fishbiotics penicillin 250 mg tablets - in date
    Penicillin cannot be administered to squirrels.

I want to make sure I go tall this right before dosing because there was some cross-posting going on with another member / squirrel with AP.

And the squirrel is 140grams.

The doxycycline is not expired.. that is important.

I will dose the doxy because I am learning I do not have dosing information for Trimethoprim sulfate.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

redwuff (08-21-2019)

whitneyverble Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Penicillin cannot be administered to squirrels.

I want to make sure I go tall this right before dosing because there was some cross-posting going on with another member / squirrel with AP.

The "
    Trimethoprim sulfate equivalent to trimethoprim 1mg/ml. - still in date" is plain trimethoprim 1mg/ml and does not contain sulfamethoxazole" I ask because the combo is more common of the two if more common.

And the squirrel is 140grams.

The following info in quotations is all on the same medication. It’s the info from the bottle of eye drops.
    “Polymyxin B Sulfate and Trimethoprim Opthalmic Solution, USP - antibiotic eye drops. 10ML bottle. 10,000 units/ML of polymyxin B sulfate. Trimethoprim sulfate equivalent to trimethoprim 1mg/ml.” - in date.

I have 2 tablets of doxycycline 100 mg from my dog. - in date.

I have 2 tablets of clindamycin 150 mg from dog. - in date.

I have cephalexin 500 mg tabs - expired 2012

I have amoxicillin 500 mg - expired 2013

Thanks for clarifying that was all a part of the eye drops... I did not get that when I read it!

I am PMing the dosing for Doxycycline now... let us know if there are any questions.

whitneyverble Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Thanks for clarifying that was all a part of the eye drops... I did not get that when I read it!

I am PMing the dosing for Doxycycline now... let us know if there are any questions.
    You’re welcome! Sorry it was confusing.

I also have the clindamycin that’s in date. 150mg tablets. Would this be better than the doxycycline?

Quote Originally Posted by whitneyverble View Post
    You’re welcome! Sorry it was confusing.

I also have the clindamycin that’s in date. 150mg tablets. Would this be better than the doxycycline?

No to the clindamycin for treating AP. If you could find some Baytril (vet med) or Cipro (human med) THAT would be best and we can switch them if can find either, but get him started on the doxy now because that is slower to act and time is of the essence.

You can call family and friends and see if they have any.. you need only 1 pill.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.