Thread: Swelling/Bone Issue in Baby Squirrel

Default Swelling/Bone Issue in Baby Squirrel

We have noticed this nodule forming on the back leg of a ~4 week old female squirrel. It appears like it is on the tibia between the ankle and knee. It got progressively bigger over a couple of days. Nothing appears broken (there is no 'give' in the leg). She can still stretch and move the leg.

Now we have noticed the same lump forming in the same spot on the brother squirrels leg. Also, his left forearm now appears swollen.

Is this an indication of Metabolic Bone Disease? Not enough calcium? Or could it be possibly too much calcium?

We have been feeding Esbilac powder formula at 5% of the body weight.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Swelling/Bone Issue in Baby Squirrel

If you are using Esbilac it is doubtful that this is MBD.

Are you giving... or have been giving... pedialyte (or other hydration fluids) over the past few days? I ask because it should not be given for more than 24 hours (if hydration is still required after 24 hours, switch to plain water) the electrolyte solutions can cause swelling in the joints.

What is her story... did she fall or get caught by a dog or cat?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Nancy in New York (08-20-2019)

Yes -- we have given Pedialyte for dehydration! So will the swelling reduce if we hydrate with water?

The mom had nested in the wall of a house and was killed in a trap. The nest was discovered pretty quickly with the two babies (remodeler saw the mom had been nursing).

Quote Originally Posted by scruffers View Post
    Yes -- we have given Pedialyte for dehydration! So will the swelling reduce if we hydrate with water?
    If you have been giving pedialyte (electrolyte solution) for hydration for a period longer than 24 hours or so, yes that can result in swelling in the joints. So if hydration is still needed, use water in between feedings (feedings should be started after 24 hours of hydration... they do need nutrition though they have to be hydrated to digest the nutrients).

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Nancy in New York (08-20-2019)

I have a squirrel with the exact same thing as does SammysMom.

We put ours on ABs, but we have no clue what this is. My girl has it on both hinds but her left legs bump is much bigger. I'll find the pictures I took and share later. I'll also get SammysMom to come and chat too.
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to kcassidy from:

scruffers (08-21-2019)

Thank you! I found a thread yesterday with someone who had the same thing as well (Squirrley16), but I haven't heard back if they figured out what it was.

It really seems like it is on the bone versus the joints.

Have the antibiotics made a difference?

Pycnogenol, a nutraceutical that has been studied for over 40 years in over a 100 studies, as has been found to address swelling of tissues. It is also anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and analgesic without the negative side effects aspirin has (aspirin should not be used for tree squirrels as is it a synthetic toxic form).

To reduce this source for a squirrel, divide the powder of one 30 mg. Pycnogenol capsule into 8 equal parts. This can be done by dividing the total powder in on capsule in half, and then that half in half, and then that half in half. This not to be confused a teaspoon measure which is too high an amount for the purpose of using this source for a squirrel.

To feed, divide the eighth portion of the powder to include half with food in for both the AM & PM daily meals. It can also, if needful, be put into one half teaspoon of hot water twice daily, then cooled to given by syringe. Again, this is a sixteenth portion of one capsule powder twice daily. A one edged razor blade works to more easily divide/reduce the fine powder into these small portions.

https://healyeatsreal.com/pycnogenol...tis-treatment/

It works to reduce joint stiffness and swelling, also tissue stiffness and swelling.

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Origi.../dp/B00CLYNAUA (see 30 count option on page)

I just replied to your PM, but yes the Clindamycin is making a difference. I do use that for bone infections and it has always done a good job.

You can also call me if you need help 917.628.8177
    Kim Cassidy

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to kcassidy from:

Diggie's Friend (08-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Pycnogenol, a nutraceutical that has been studied for over 40 years in over a 100 studies, as has been found to address swelling of tissues. It is also anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and analgesic without the negative side effects aspirin has (aspirin should not be used for tree squirrels as is it a synthetic toxic form).
    But this isn't tissue related it is actual bone, there is no abscess and Clindamycin is what works on that
    Kim Cassidy

I'm sure it does. I wasn't suggesting here to lower the AB dose, nor replace it with PYC, but to add PYC to the treatment instead to enhance it.

Doctors are now relying on PYC with standard medicine to enhance prescription drug treatments, and in some cases to lower drugs with side effects by including PYC. Yet again, I wasn't suggesting that here either.

Pycnogenol has been shown in laboratory studies to reach the bone and marrow in rats, in one study in rats lowering the toxicity to the bones of one drug. .

Since PYC supports bone growth in bone remodeling in rats, as to support increased bone density, it clearly reaches the bones and marrow.

It has also been found to be an anti-bacterial, anti viral, and anti inflammatory, which could help to combat the infection, reduce swelling, as well as address pain, being found to be a more effective than synthetic aspirin (even so aspirin isn't used in tree squirrels due it its toxicity), PYC, not toxic to rodents as aspirin is, was tested at higher dosages than in research studies where it was found to ameliorate various ill health conditions in rats and mice.

Reducing tissue swelling is just one of a number of things I thought to list that Pycnogenol has been found to do in support of improving health. Since PYC reaches the bone and marrow, seeing it is also anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral, and an immune enhancer; it would also lend to both reducing bone swelling and countering infection in the bone, having been found to positively impact the health of the bone and marrow. Sorry I wasn't more specific about this aspect here, as I have been on my threads on PYC.

CBD has been confirmed to treat osteomyelitis (bone infection).

https://thoughtcloud.net/cbd-for-ost...tis-treatment/

https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-Hemp-E...dDbGljaz10cnVl

This source can easily be reduced down to as low as 6.25 mg. with one needle drop from a 1 cc ml syringe.

Pycnogenol should not be given on an empty stomach, but with meals; this also helps to cover the taste, which added to baked squash, or low fat plain organic yogurt with berries has worked well to support.