Thread: Mama Squirrel lost her baby, acting strangely

Default Mama Squirrel lost her baby, acting strangely

A little over two weeks ago I came upon an injured baby squirrel returning from a walk. I heard some high-pitched noises that I first mistook for a bird, but when I went back to look, I realized they were baby squirrel screams. The baby had just fallen, and was sitting on the ground, awake but not moving. Its back leg was in a bad state. I have no idea what caused it - predator, abandonment, another rival, misadventure...

Thankfully I knew exactly where to go, and got it into the hands of qualified squirrel rehabbers within an hour, and after a week was told that it is expected to survive.

However, since then, the mother acts differently. I see her often around the grounds at my apartment, and usually comes over for a nut when I call it as I pass by, but lately, she's been a whole other level of friendly. She runs over to me even if I don't call her.

If I do give her a nut now, she doesn't immediately pick it up and eat it - just gives it a quick sniff and turns back to look at me. If I don't keep throwing more, she just keeps walking closer to me, like WAY closer than she ever has before, like an inch from my feet. So close that I have to back up to put a little distance between us. Mind you, she's not waggling her tail or acting threatening at all, actually the opposite - her movements are slower and more deliberate.

What I'm wondering is, do you think it's she's under the impression that I have her baby? After all, when I came back with a box to take the little fella to get help, she was right there watching me.

I feel sad that there's no way to cheer her up - to let her know that her baby's going to be okay, or to be able to reunite them ever again. Unfortunately, she lives in a giant fir tree right next to a busy road, so returning the baby after it recovers is out of the question. It will be released on a parcel of land set aside for rescues.

Default Re: Mama Squirrel lost her baby, acting strangely

It may be that she knows you’re safe since she witnessed you help her baby. If she’s not acting aggressively I’d accept it as an opportunity to expand your relationship with her, if that’s something you’d be interested in. Try offering her some avocado chunks (no skin or pit), coconut chunks or an occasional chunk of fresh corn.

I wonder if she has other babies she’s caring for or if she only had the one?

3. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (09-01-2021), island rehabber (08-30-2021), lukaslolamaus (08-30-2021), Squirreleesi (08-30-2021), sundoesshine (08-30-2021)

Default Re: Mama Squirrel lost her baby, acting strangely

After offering bits of shiitake, apricot, broccoli, corn, coconut and avocado, only the avocado got brief attention, although each time I return the nibbling time gets longer. The small saucer of water was also a hit.

I have a feeling there might be at least one baby still up there. I haven't heard anything, but the other day another squirrel came up from behind her and she took off in the fastest, most vocal chase I've ever witnessed. So yeah, she may be guarding her remaining kiddo(es), and fiercely.