Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Petey: Esbilac MBD Recovery

Default Petey: Esbilac MBD Recovery

Hey guys!
    I've noticed these little lumps on this little guy's back legs. At first they were just red dots now they look like this. Any idea what this could be? I was googling pictures of other babies and I don't notice it on any others so I'm assuming it's not normal..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: 3 week old--- Help Needed: back leg issues

It looks like ant bites.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    It looks like ant bites.
    He has been in my house with 0 bugs since he was 2 days old though. They're in the exact same spot on both legs.

Just investigated it further as I was feeding him. They are hard and attached to the bone (or are the bone?) It's almost like both of his hind legs grew crooked

I was about to say that the area on the right leg looks like a bone.
    Watch and see how the baby is able to walk as it moves about.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    I was about to say that the area on the right leg looks like a bone.
    Watch and see how the baby is able to walk as it moves about.
    He's definitely not walking yet at this point. He is getting strong in his front legs and is pulling himself around some and kicking his back legs with it but doesn't quite have the strength yet. Honestly he seems SUPER small to me too and like he's developing slower than I'm seeing a lot of the babies on here.

I guess wait a couple weeks until he's walking more to see how his legs are working?

What is his weight? I have noticed a phenomenon that when a baby comes in at such a young age, it seems to take them much longer to develope than others that come in older
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    What is his weight? I have noticed a phenomenon that when a baby comes in at such a young age, it seems to take them much longer to develope than others that come in older

He weighed in at 36g right now. He did just eat 30 mins ago so some of that weight could be formula.
    When we found him he couldn't have been more than 2 days old (born July 28th estimated) and we've been doing the absolute best we can with him since then. I've been feeding him the proper formula, feeding the 5%-7% body weight rule, keeping him warm, feeding him at appropriate times, and coming to TSB for any and all questions we've had about him. I'm just worried that his little legs are going to be painful to use as he grows up if they are growing in crooked like that, although he doesn't seem to show any sort of pain when I touch the bumps.

Update: now that he's growing a bit more and I'm seeing pics of more his age, I'm noticing his front legs are all wonky too. This is unfortunately the best picture I could get of his fronts.

AND this evening when I got home from work he had this lump to the left of his ribs. Anyone have any idea what that could be?

Name:  20190822_221804.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  80.5 KB

I turned the picture to get a better look.

His legs do look wonky, and I think it wonky that they seem so bald for a baby with that much fur on his face and head?

I wonder if the dwarf experts should take a look at this one..

Thanks for flipping that! Didn't notice it until after I had posted it!

He will be 4 weeks old on Sunday and he only weighed 39g this morning. I've had a heck of a time keeping him hydrated and he just doesn't seem to be growing much and now his little legs are all sorts of funky and I'm just worried that I need to be doing something different. I was wondering about dwarfism as well after teading several threads on here but I can't seem to find any info on someone who's had one this young and realized it was a dwarf. If you know of one please ask them to send any advice!

Is he a red squirrel? I would not rule out dwarfism and you should be able to tell in a bit. To be honest, there has been some weird wonky stuff going on with limbs this season. How far are you from Maryland?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

I too am wondering if this is a red. It sure looks like it, and
    the weight would be almost spot on for one this age.

Is he a red squirrel? I would not rule out dwarfism and you should be able to tell in a bit. To be honest, there has been some weird wonky stuff going on with limbs this season. How far are you from Maryland?
    I'm only in Martinsburg, WV so only 30 mins from Hagerstown, MD. Where in MD are you located?
    Honestly I'm not sure if he's red squirrel or not. We found him at like 1 or 2 days old and he's just slowlllllyyyy growing. Is there something in particular you'd recommend for my trouble keeping him hydrated? I've struggled a lot with this; it seems to be a constant issue with dehydrating then bouncing back then dehydrating then bouncing back.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    I too am wondering if this is a red. It sure looks like it, and
    the weight would be almost spot on for one this age.
    That would make me feel better if he is a red. I couldn't find average weights for reds anywhere so I've been nervous about him being underweight for a grey.

Are you wanting to get this baby into rescue? I know you have been working really hard with this sweetie, but I want to know how we can help you.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

I'm not sure if it is a red squirrel though. But, the bumps are very odd. He has the lumps on his head too, right or am I seeing things that aren't there. Can you please get better pictures of his body and head? If you can't get them to show up right side up we will fix it.

What bedding is he kept in? Did the bumps show up AFTER he was with you or did he come with them. His legs don't look wonky at all so that's why I'm asking for more pix. If you have someone to help you, you could stretch his leg and then take the picture.

His weight, hydration look great so good job
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

Are you wanting to get this baby into rescue? I know you have been working really hard with this sweetie, but I want to know how we can help you.
    We would like to know that a rehabber could take him in the case things get to be too much for us. If you know of someone close by that we could get in contact when the time comes, that would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by kcassidy View Post
    I'm not sure if it is a red squirrel though. But, the bumps are very odd. He has the lumps on his head too, right or am I seeing things that aren't there. Can you please get better pictures of his body and head? If you can't get them to show up right side up we will fix it.

What bedding is he kept in? Did the bumps show up AFTER he was with you or did he come with them. His legs don't look wonky at all so that's why I'm asking for more pix. If you have someone to help you, you could stretch his leg and then take the picture.

His weight, hydration look great so good job
    It must be the picture because he doesn't have bumps on his head. We found him at just a day or two old and I don't recall seeing the bumps on his legs then but as he grew they just sort of formed on his bone. He is kept in tshirts for bedding. I will see if we can get better angles and stretch his legs for a pic this evening and I'll post it!

Should I be giving him water throughout the day every day? Because it seems every few feedings when I do the tent test his skin takes forever to go back down. It just seems he'll be fine (but sort of wrinkly still) for a while then we check again in a few hours and the tent test shows he's dehydrated..

Here's a few more of just his head. I'll get others of his legs and body here in a bit

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast