Thread: Dosing antibiotics?

Default Dosing antibiotics?

Was called to get a baby squirrel last night. It’s tiny and in bad shape.

55g but I’d say it’s 4wks. The person who found it was giving pedialyte. The squirrel had blood around it’s nose and a couple small scratches on its legs. It is breathing a bit labored through its mouth. I think I hear a bit of a click when it’s breathing.

I did offer some Esbilac and it took it but the poor thing is pretty weak. It did not eliminate when I tried to get it to potty.

I’m thinking it needs some antibiotics? All I have is “fishmox” from Chewy. 500mg tablets. Would this be able to be crushed and used? ... oh I also have Corid ... a med I use to treat coccidiosis in my chickens... not sure this little squirrel has time for me to get something else?..

Default Re: Dosing antibiotics?

Will send dosing for the fish mix in pm.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

10xmama (08-19-2019)

Name:  EA8C42C2-B408-418E-B399-52E2FD6C757C.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  90.0 KB

Name:  91B81195-4060-42D2-AD5D-26476102EB4A.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  69.0 KB

I gave her the first dose of antibiotics. I offered some Esbilac afterwards but she really didn’t take much... maybe .04cc. She’s pretty lethargic.

Based on how she looks I think she’s close in age to my other squirrel but half the weight.

As long as you can get AP treated, the weight will come on a treat. Sometimes I think that when they come so depleted they get to a point where they have lost a will to live and you have to put in extra energy to encourage them till they come back to life. Let us know how we can help you.

Thank you for the pictures. The baby does look a bit dehydrated. Is she taking hydration fluid? That will help her appetite tremendously.
    Is there anyway you can get some Cipro/Baytril or Clavamox/augmentin.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

You can get Baytril from a pet store or pet supplier that specializes in birds.
    They list it as 'Enrofloxacin 10%' (which is Baytril) and sell it without a prescription.
    It is sold in a 100mg per 1ml solution, to be added to the bird's water supply.

My MIL has some Cipro pills. They are 500mg. Would the dosing be the same as the amoxicillin dose you sent me earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by 10xmama View Post
    My MIL has some Cipro pills. They are 500mg. Would the dosing be the same as the amoxicillin dose you sent me earlier?
    The dose will be different.
    What is the weight of your little one in grams?

58 gm now. Was 55 last night so a little gain — that’s a little encouragement to me.

58 gm now. Was 55 last night so a little gain — that’s a little encouragement to me.
    I will write this up and send you dosing in a pm.
    Give me a minute.

Edit: dosing sent.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 08-19-2019 at 04:48 PM.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

stepnstone (08-22-2019)

Well she’s hanging in there and seems to be improving. I don’t hear the clicking anymore. She’s not eating as much as she should but I’ve gotten her to take some. She finally gave me a couple drops of urine. Hoping she’s turned the corner!

Probiotics were mentioned to me: I’m assuming a capsule or powder... how is it suggested to administer that?

Well she’s hanging in there and seems to be improving. I don’t hear the clicking anymore. She’s not eating as much as she should but I’ve gotten her to take some. She finally gave me a couple drops of urine. Hoping she’s turned the corner!

Probiotics were mentioned to me: I’m assuming a capsule or powder... how is it suggested to administer that?
    With the capsule, you pull it apart, and give ~ 0 in either water/formula
    or let her lick it off your finger.
    It has sort of a sweet taste.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

10xmama (08-20-2019)

Happy to say the little girl is doing better. She’s eating and gaining strength. She does seem to be having loose BMs now, which I’m thinking is due to the antibiotics. I’ve tried giving her acidophilus but I’m not sure it’s doing much. The BMs are kinda yellow/brown and gooey/mucus-like. Not watery. And only when I potty her after feeding.

Tomorrow would be day 5 of antibiotics. Should I stop them?

She is gaining weight slowly. She was 55 gm when I got her on Sunday night and last I checked this morning she was 68.

She was on Amoxi prior to the Cipro, correct?
    I would keep her on the Cipro for 5 days min.
    and 7 days max.
    Are you hearing any congestion?

Were the antibiotics just precautionary?

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

10xmama (08-22-2019)

55 to 68 grams = 13 grams = 4.33 gain per day... a very decent gain figuring she has been sick.

Normally antibiotics are only given for 4 to 5 days, per type (8 to 10 doses)
    I note you said you gave her her first antibiotics on the 19th.. three days ago.
    So today is her 4th day, and tomorrow the 5th.

If on Saturday she is still no longer clicking, not lethargic, eating well and still gaining weight.. I would suggest dropping her off it.
    You may notice an improvement in appetite once they are out of her system, as a normal side effect is light nausea.

With the diarrhea, offer some water between feedings to keep her hydrated.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

10xmama (08-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    She was on Amoxi prior to the Cipro, correct?
    I would keep her on the Cipro for 5 days min.
    and 7 days max.
    Are you hearing any congestion?

Were the antibiotics just precautionary?
    She was clicking and very lethargic. Also had blood coming from her nose a little and some minor scratches. The people who found her had given her pedialyte but I don’t know how they administered it. She was in bad shape.

She had one dose of amoxicillin and then started the Cipro. She is eating well now and the diarrhea isn’t watery... so I’m not super worried but don’t want the meds to cause ongoing gut issues.

Tomorrow will be day 5. I started the meds Monday morning. So after tomorrow I’m good to stop them, right?

And no congestion or clicking now. She’s peeing well and pooing (though it’s very soft).

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    You can get Baytril from a pet store or pet supplier that specializes in birds.
    They list it as 'Enrofloxacin 10%' (which is Baytril) and sell it without a prescription.
    It is sold in a 100mg per 1ml solution, to be added to the bird's water supply.
    Hi! I am rehabbing my first litter I have 3 babies ( my cousin is a licensed rehabber and has given me lots of advice) I am very well educated on animals and eventually wish to become a licensed rehabber.. my squirrels ranged between 17-21 g when I got them (covered in ant bites almost run over by lawn mower and given to me) and still had umbilical cord attached and were fresh pinkies. I assumed they were a couple days old I got them the 17th and took them to the vet last night (21) as I thought I heard clicking and they were possibly aspirated, and saw here I needed to seek baytril or vet advice. I spent like 10 minutes with the vet and I paid 200$ for the her to tell me they were in almost perfect health (one did have fluid in lungs) but she said there was nothing she could give me or do as they are to young for antibiotics and that he should be okay? (she said they were probably born the day they were found which was a 1 or 2 days before I got them.) basically I just want people to know if your squirrels are as young as mine it might not be cost effective to take them to the vet as they won’t help you, at least mine did not :/ anyway! My squirrels are doing great and I’ve officially had them for a week which I had told myself if I could get them this far I’d probably be in the clear- a long road ahead but hopefully I can get all 3 back to the wild. Sorry for the long post.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithb View Post
    Hi! I am rehabbing my first litter I have 3 babies ( my cousin is a licensed rehabber and has given me lots of advice) I am very well educated on animals and eventually wish to become a licensed rehabber.. my squirrels ranged between 17-21 g when I got them (covered in ant bites almost run over by lawn mower and given to me) and still had umbilical cord attached and were fresh pinkies. I assumed they were a couple days old I got them the 17th and took them to the vet last night (21) as I thought I heard clicking and they were possibly aspirated, and saw here I needed to seek baytril or vet advice. I spent like 10 minutes with the vet and I paid 200$ for the her to tell me they were in almost perfect health (one did have fluid in lungs) but she said there was nothing she could give me or do as they are to young for antibiotics and that he should be okay?
    This is just wrong on so many points and we have a board full of rehabilatators that have and can prove it wrong. I can't comprehend how fluid in lungs (if that were even true) could magically disappear and "he should be okay" let alone hearing any vet actually said that but obviously it was not AP. With AP there is no getting around antibiotics.
    AP kills without them the same as untreated pneumonia will kill any species.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithb View Post
    (she said they were probably born the day they were found which was a 1 or 2 days before I got them.) basically
    I just want people to know if your squirrels are as young as mine it might not be cost effective to take them to the vet as they won’t help you, at least mine did not :/ anyway! My squirrels are doing great and I’ve officially had them for a week which I had told myself if I could get them this far I’d probably be in the clear- a long road ahead but hopefully I can get all 3 back to the wild. Sorry for the long post.
    All vets are not educated equal, squirrels are wildlife. and at least require a veterinarian educated in wildlife. Domestic vets usually don't and won't even see wildlife.
    Some
    Exotic vets may see wildlife and treat as they would exotics, many vets won't for three basic reasons; They are not educated to treat wildlife. They are not licensed to treat wildlife. They are not Wildlife veterinarians.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Just following up and thanking you all for your help/advice. My little girl (Elsa) is alive and well. It’s been a little over a week since we received her and she has made quite the comeback — thanks to y’all’s help!

We were able to merge her in with our other rescue squirrel (Earl) on Sunday. They are quite happy having eachother’s company. He’s much bigger than she is but he’s treating her well. She opened her eyes on Monday! So she’s really progressing well. Looking forward to seeing them climbing trees and doing all the things healthy squirrels should.

Name:  A164F8B4-06EA-4C00-BC4C-2DC84D0FCF14.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  118.2 KB

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to 10xmama:

Javarat (08-28-2019), TubeDriver (08-28-2019)

Your babies are beautiful. Good job!
    redwuff
    State Licensed

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

10xmama (08-30-2019)