Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is happening to my baby squirrels

Default What is happening to my baby squirrels

Hi all, I have a few questions as to what is happening to my 2 month old baby squirrels .. I'm terribly upset. I found 4 baby squirrels at the end of June. Momma squirrel did not come back to get her babies so it became dark and they were squealing like crazy so I took them in and found ur forum on how to care . Every bump I came acrossed with raising them and I conquered with reading post on here . But anyways 3 days ago the first squirrel passed away. She was perfectly fine . No obvious reason what so ever.. 1 hour after my second one passed .. I was devasted! So today I went two bring out my other two for feeding/playtime and I found my Lil boy dead .. I now am down to 1 . What is going on ? Truly there is no sign of any type of issues.. please help! I do not want to loose another one .. my family is so upset!

Default Re: What is happening to my baby squirrels

Wow. I am so sorry. We need more info.

What are you feeding them? They are still on formula, right? What brand, how much, how often, etc.

Are they anywhere that anyone could access them and give them something toxic? People can be real prizes.

Any changes happen before they died? Any signs at all?

They are on puppy supplemental formula (starts with an I ) but has the pre and pro biotics ) around 10-12 mls 4 times a day . Rodent blocks from henery's which they did not really care for. I gave them apples maybe a week ago. Piece of cucumber . Haven't expanded to much with the fruits and veggies.

There truley were no signs until it happen.. just started gasping for air and then they were gone. I'm freaking out because my little girl seems to be acting wierd .
    Are you able to call me?

Sorry there is no possible way they got into anything nor anyone would harm them . My husband took them to work with him every day I was working so that they didn't miss a feeding. We all enjoyed them during the evenings but I did those feeding as long the night shift when they were smaller. None of them aspirated .. I'm beside myself and I can't figure this out. My last living (nutella) seems to be less energetic and really being really loving . I know they are loving but it's a little more than usual.

Could they need more calcium even being on formula.. the deaths of the first two were within an hour .. I'm worried I just lost my zingy and don't want nutella to be next

Quote Originally Posted by Shellbee View Post
    Could they need more calcium even being on formula.. the deaths of the first two were within an hour .. I'm worried I just lost my zingy and don't want nutella to be next

Yes, there are very few and specific puppy formulas that meet the nutritional requirements of squirrels. Esbilac (the powdered version) and FOX Valley 20/50 are the two best. Very few (maybe one or two) others...

The most important questions were what (specifically) are you feeding them, how much and how often .

Are they on puppy pads?

This last container is PetAg milk replacer plus . It's says newborn to 6 week puppies. It's powdered they eat anywhere between 10-12 mls every 4-5 hours

She feels really warm and getting more sluggish.

Just to elaborate on the ‘taking them to work’. Could they have overheated in the car during a stop?

There has a be a reason. This is very unusual for babies to die so suddenly. At 2 months they are usually stable and thriving. Did they appear healthy? Plump bellies?

I have 3 about that age.

This last container is PetAg milk replacer plus . It's says newborn to 6 week puppies. It's powdered they eat anywhere between 10-12 mls every 4-5 hours
    This "last container" is not the proper formula, what was the first container?
    Squirrels are fed between 5-7% of body weight
    Did you weigh them to know how much you should have been feeding them?

The correct Esbilac powered formula:

Name:  formula sm.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  32.4 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

So his job is only 3 miles away and they have there own carry cage he takes them in .. they are only out to feed and it's air conditioned . No puppy pads.

They are really healthy . Had them since they were pinkies, days old if that.

She is trying to go to sleep, I don't want her to. That's when we lost our other one .. she doesn't seem real but really sluggish . I haven't done anything different

Mine just says PetAg Milk replacer plus a good source or prebiotics and probiotics . My husband just reminded me it was the same formula just with a different or updated label. We were almost ready to buy something different but didn't because he said it was the same store same place in the store so he read it and it was the same

Yes I actually learned the 5%-7% rule from ur forum. I went and bought a scale just for that reason

Is there anything I can give her to replenish the lost nutrients if it was the wrong formula? I have my husband trying to find a store that is opened that has the correct formula

that 3rd ingrediate is not the same as u have posted . Is there anything that I can do for her? This is heartbreaking . all the work and time I put into these little guys to save them. Truly I spent excessive amount of hours taking care and raising my fur babies, thought I was doing everything correct because they look so healthy and they seemed so happy!

I think it is probably the formula. I’m trying to post the ingredient list for the proper Esbilac and the PetAg milk replacer. It does appear that the PetAg is deficient.
    If he can’t find Esbilac formula tonight I would buy goat milk, full fat yogurt and heavy cream. I would literally be afraid to feed more of that formula.

Can you post a picture of any of your babies taken recently. Feeding the wrong formula usually shows up in body condition
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

I have been using the whipping cream

Esbilac puppy formula ingredient list

Name:  49618D1C-0093-4B6E-9BDE-8AEA3283E555.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  535.5 KB

PetAg Milk Replacer ingredient list

Name:  4A59AA01-00FF-4B8B-92EE-C3DBFC804E62.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  525.9 KB

Yes my phone is nothing but pics of the little ones. Is there a special way to upload?

Yes, send them to japel2@aol.com and I will post for you
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

The Esbilac is 33% Protein and 40% Fat.
    The PetAg has 29% Protein and 28% Fat.

I also note that the Esbilac has dried cream while the PetAg has dried skim milk.

I’m not a nutritionist but I think the low fat might be part of the problem. For babies, fat is required for the development of the brain, nerves and also cellular function. A lot of those ‘other’ micronutrients, minerals and vitamins might also be lacking.

You might want to pick up a tube of Nutrical. It is packed with vitamins and minerals.

21. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Anne (08-26-2019), Nancy in New York (08-27-2019), redwuff (08-26-2019)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast