Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found 4 babies 2 are gone

Default Found 4 babies 2 are gone

A massive storm hit here today and 4 babies squirrels fell out of the tree. 2 didn't make it. We are about to give homemade pedialite but will have to go out and get food for them if needed. Please advise ASAP. i just got home from work and my wife has left them outside with a hot water bottle since 10am in the hopes the mom would get them which she was apparently looking for them but never got them.

Default Re: Found 4 babies 2 are gone

We have raised one successfully before but don't really want to go through it again. I'm being told that they called all the local rehab places and no one can take them. Also apparently my stepson and his girlfriend took a deceased one and a badly injured one to a vet and the vet put one down.

Is it recommended that we feed them tonight?
    Is it still recommended that they eat puppy formula? (just for the record we made the mistake of giving Sandy cat formula and then the goat milk formula and she seemed fine)
    They just both had a bit of homemade pedialite and my wife is trying to potty them right now.
    Will they make it the night with nothing else and I can try to put them out at sunrise?

AAAAAAAAGGGHGHHHHAAAGAGHH! Please help!

1. Get them warm to the touch, but not hot.
    2. Hydrate them tonight.
    3. Puppy formula (Esbilac powdered formula) starting tomorrow. Weigh them in grams, then divide by 20, and feed every three hours. (Example : 30 grams / 20 = 1.5 ml)

They will be fine with just water tonight. They need water and warmth right now, not food.
    Since you know to stimulate, you are miles ahead of the average person.

You might get the momma to come down and get them tomorrow, if you can find and play the sound of a crying squirrel baby on your phone.
    I would not just put them out and wait.. see if you can get her to come look before putting them outside.
    Don't leave them out for a long time or unguarded.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

sandycheeks (08-18-2019)

They are in Sandy's old wood box with a towel on top of a hot water bottle with hot tap water in it. They are both sleeping and seem comfortable but should I be worried abotu overheating?
    They are definitely warm and now have had a bit of fluid (as much as they seemed to want).
    My son was outside in the garage when the nest came down so they were attended to right away. They tried the whole day just to keep them warm for the mom to come and get them and they said she was going around the yard looking under leaves etc. for them but never found them. They apparently weren't crying. I'm almost certain the mom is okay and in my back yard. I think I should put them back out in the morning but will feed them first.

You could play this repeatedly on your phone to attract the mom....

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

sandycheeks (08-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by sandycheeks View Post
    They are in Sandy's old wood box with a towel on top of a hot water bottle with hot tap water in it. They are both sleeping and seem comfortable but should I be worried abotu overheating?
    Yes, they can get overheated from a water bottle, if they do not have room to move away from it.
    A heating pad would be better.. but human pads have an automatic shutoff on them after a few hours.

I would definitely try to reunite in the morning. They don’t need food tonight. Hydration is good.
    Moms have back up nests and will be looking for her babies tomorrow. Play the baby squirrel cry and she should come. You have nothing to lose. If she doesn’t come, you at least tried.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

island rehabber (08-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    Yes, they can get overheated from a water bottle, if they do not have room to move away from it.
    A heating pad would be better.. but human pads have an automatic shutoff on them after a few hours.
    Sunbeam and a few other manufacturers still make heating pads without auto shut-off. Ask Leigh at henryspets.com if she still sells them thru her site, or if she knows where to get them. I always find the Sunbeams at CVS, no problem.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Javarat (08-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Sunbeam and a few other manufacturers still make heating pads without auto shut-off. Ask Leigh at henryspets.com if she still sells them thru her site, or if she knows where to get them. I always find the Sunbeams at CVS, no problem.
    Here's one on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Milliard-Elec...s%2C162&sr=8-3

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Javarat (08-19-2019)

No luck so far. My wife said she saw the mom this morning, played the video and then went to get them and put them outside but she did not come and get them. I got up at 9 and played the video a bunch of times but there are no squirrels at all in my yard which is weird cause there are usually a dozen or so. Just refilled their hot water bottle and left them out going out to play the video again in a minute. One of them pooped on their own. I have to leave for work in 1.5 hours so I hope she comes soon or my wife will have to leave her job and get formula etc.

They have full fur but eyes are still closed. I would guess 3 weeks old. There were 3 torrential even biblical downpours here in London in the last 36 hours or so. I really hope she just heard me and is coming. I saw who we think is the mom but she walked the other way right before I could get outside and play the sound to attract her.
    We will do what we have to do for these babies. It has been 24 hours they have not eaten. I think they appear hydrated enough. There were a lot of fleas my wife picked off of them but no maggots because like I said before we found them within seconds of falling out of the tree. I wish they would cry on their own but maybe they are not cold or hungry enough.

Name:  WIN_20190819_10_48_06_Pro.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  107.7 KB
    pic

I wish I had a better squirrel cry for you.
    This definitely gives me a new project... Collect baby squirrel cries, and upload an hour long video of them to my youtube channel.
    Then people can start it on their phone and place the phone in the baby box.

I will see if I can find an experienced rehabber to be on standby in the Detroit/Toronto area.

If you decide the mom is not coming, and are going to raise them, or find a rehabber for them... wash them with Blue Dawn and water to get rid of the fleas.

Wildlife rehabbers near you that were recommended to me by a Toronto rehabber.

Mount Brydges (near London)
    (519) 264-2440

Another Chance
    Saint Thomas (near London)
    (519) 868-1937

Hobbitsee Wildlife Refuge
    Jarvice (Port Dover - near London and Brantford)
    (519)587-2980

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    Wildlife rehabbers near you that were recommended to me by a Toronto rehabber.

Mount Brydges (near London)
    (519) 264-2440

Another Chance
    Saint Thomas (near London)
    (519) 868-1937

Hobbitsee Wildlife Refuge
    Jarvice (Port Dover - near London and Brantford)
    (519)587-2980
    Thanks a lot
    Salthaven gave me some advice and said they can probably take them if needed.
    I just had a very obvious mom (huge obvious boobs) come right up to them on our deck, she hesitated a lot and was only here cause she commonly comes up to us for peanuts often. However she did not pick them up. She stuffed them under the towel they were on and left. My wife was hooking up a bluetooth speaker to her computer and tested the sound inside our mud room and the mom came running full blast right at our door but then left and is no where to be seen. Not sure if they were not hers or if she was hiding them to come and pick them up later. We played the sound quite a few times and are now leaving them out in the hopes she will come to get them.
    Since yesterday at around 10am when they fell they have only had a bit of pedialite and a bit of esbilac. I am worried that they will not be okay for too much longer.

Very obvious mom number 2 just came however she is not coming up to them. She just drank some water and left. I played the sound she definitely heard it and knew where it was but never came more them 30' away from them.

The mom that tried to hide them is probably their mom. You will need to feed them but you might want to try again. I heard of a reunite 3 days later.

The woman at the rehabilitation centre cautioned me against giving them esbilac but they have only eaten and drank once so far since yesterday morning. She also told me to leave them out at 7 or 8 pm. They are out there now but I will have to bring them in soon as it is getting pretty dark out.

No mom it is very dark we brought them in. My wife is about to feed them esbilac. She said they are okay but a little cold. She is kind of letting them lick the formula one drop at a time not suck it out so they won't aspirate. Will put them out in the morning again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast