Thread: Newborn Flyers - dad in same cage... or not?

Default Newborn Flyers - dad in same cage... or not?

Posting for Snicker Bar. Congratulations are in order:Snicker Bar is a gransquammy Her flyers are now the proud parents of sweet baby flyers. She is currently on vacation, up here in Canada - and long story, these were a total surprise which I'll let her tell you about - but since she's not there to tend to them herself (her daughter is), she would like to know what is the best thing to do for the mom, dad, and babies.

Should the dad be left in the same cage as the mom and babies, or would it be preferable to give mom and babies a cage of their own... and if so for how long? Any particular kind of care to take or administer for these babies, and/or for mom?

Any other specifics on caring for them would be truly appreciated.

CONGRATLUATIONS SNICKER BAR -
    and little mom Lea and daddy Teeny

P.S. Just placed yhis in emergency in order to act ASAP if need be but admin can then place thhis thread in baby squirrels care I guess. Thanks
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Default Re: Newborn Flyers - dad in same cage... or not?

I wouldn't think leaving the male in with them is a good idea....
    With wilds mother flying squirrels are very protective of their young, the male takes
    no part in caring for offspring and usually mom won't allow him near her occupied nest.
    Being in the same vicinity might cause undue stress for either of them and may cause
    babies to get hurt. Besides, they both could probably use a break.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Scooterzmom (08-18-2019), Snicker Bar (08-18-2019)

From my days of reading the Skul's flyer threads, do remove Dad. And keep or fingers out of the nest box (I believe the term is "box shark"). And let Snicker Bar know that now they have done it once they will do it again and again unless they are separated...

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

island rehabber (08-18-2019), Scooterzmom (08-18-2019), Snicker Bar (08-18-2019), stepnstone (08-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    From my days of reading the Skul's flyer threads, do remove Dad. And keep or fingers out of the nest box (I believe the term is "box shark"). And let Snicker Bar know that now they have done it once they will do it again and again unless they are separated...
    Yes I had the same flashback to the Skuls' threads as you did. Time for papa to get his man cave going and stay in it.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

7. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

JLM27 (08-18-2019), Scooterzmom (08-18-2019), Snicker Bar (08-18-2019), stepnstone (08-18-2019)