Thread: ~5 Week old baby squirrel eating less than 2cc :/

Default ~5 Week old baby squirrel eating less than 2cc :/

I’ve had this little guy 4 days now. He went from neatly eating 5% of his body weight to eating less than 5% during his last to feedings. I feed him Esiblac 1:2 ratio (first day was Pedialyte, second day Esiblac 1:3 ratio). He has gained weight since I found him, opened his eyes, and today is pooping/peeing on his own.

Is it normal for a baby squirrel to eat less than 5% of body weight when fed every 3-4hrs?

Default Re: ~5 Week old baby squirrel eating less than 2cc :/

A baby approximately 5 weeks old need only be fed about every 4 hours. I'd suggest moving out feedings to every 4 hours and see how that goes.

How much does your baby weigh?

(No more fly strike I hope?!?!).

As you progress, you will hit a period each week when they start cutting off early.
    If they appear healthy this normally indicates they are ready to move to longer meal periods.
    A squirrel with open eyes can eat up to 8% of their body weight without discomfort.
    They tend to average around one hour less than their age in weeks.
    Example: 6 weeks = 5 hours, 8 weeks = 7 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    A baby approximately 5 weeks old need only be fed about every 4 hours. I'd suggest moving out feedings to every 4 hours and see how that goes.

How much does your baby weigh?

(No more fly strike I hope?!?!).
    Ok, I will space out his feedings to 4 hours.

I also use a 1cc feeder. When feeding today he did not want to stop when it was empty. But I had to take it out of his mouth to refill. He wouldn’t take the nipple again after that. Going to get a 3cc feeder and see if that helps.

He weighs 50g today
    When I found him he was 46g

And yes, all fly eggs are gone! And gave capstar a couple days ago just to be safe.

Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    As you progress, you will hit a period each week when they start cutting off early.
    If they appear healthy this normally indicates they are ready to move to longer meal periods.
    A squirrel with open eyes can eat up to 8% of their body weight without discomfort.
    They tend to average around one hour less than their age in weeks.
    Example: 6 weeks = 5 hours, 8 weeks = 7 hours.
    Thank you for this info! I will keep this in mind as he gets older.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLife View Post
    I’ve had this little guy 4 days now. He went from neatly eating 5% of his body weight to eating less than 5% during his last to feedings. I feed him Esiblac 1:2 ratio (first day was Pedialyte, second day Esiblac 1:3 ratio). He has gained weight since I found him, opened his eyes, and today is pooping/peeing on his own.

Is it normal for a baby squirrel to eat less than 5% of body weight when fed every 3-4hrs?
    Is there any chance he might have have aspiration pneumonia? Symptoms are: clicking with every breath, loss of appetite, lethargy. The other suggestions are great if AP is not present.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Is there any chance he might have have aspiration pneumonia? Symptoms are: clicking with every breath, loss of appetite, lethargy. The other suggestions are great if AP is not present.
    No symptoms of AP, and I feed slow and steady. I waited 5 min and got him to take another 1cc of formula (2cc total this feeding). Still short of the 2.5cc min
    Hoping a bigger feeder helps so I don’t have to interrupt his feeding while he is the most hungry.

Ok, I will space out his feedings to 4 hours.

I also use a 1cc feeder. When feeding today he did not want to stop when it was empty. But I had to take it out of his mouth to refill. He wouldn’t take the nipple again after that. Going to get a 3cc feeder and see if that helps.

I would stick to the 1ML syringe for now... having multiple syringes and nipples may help since you'll already have a full one and less time between syringe swaps. He should start gaining weight each day...

He weighs 50g today
    When I found him he was 46g
    I have fed A LOT of baby squirrels (literally thousands of syringes each season) and as a rule I do not switch to a 3ml syringe until they 100grams.

And yes, all fly eggs are gone! And gave capstar a couple days ago just to be safe.

Thanks for the info

Capstar a must with fly strike!!! Good job!

Just an update...I got a 3cc feeder and that solved the feeding problem. The nipple size remained the same, and I just feed slowly. Cinnamon got their min food with no interruptions and seems to be doing well. Thanks again for all the feedback and advice.