Thread: URGENT: Tree with squirrel nest must be cut down

CDRome Guest

Default URGENT: Tree with squirrel nest must be cut down

A 200+ year-old cottonwood tree in front of my house in Denver is leaning over dangerously and the roots have pushed up the ground on the opposite side considerably over the past few days. There is a squirrel nest very high up on that tree and over the past eight months or so, one of those squirrels ("Chip") has become my friend and hangs with me (as in splats right next to me) in my patio and will even let me pet her and feed her by hand, even when my cat and Australian Shepherd are there. What can I do to save their nest or help transition my buddy? I have an HOA and have limited latitude as to how obvious I can be with helping squirrels. Any suggestions would be most welcome. The felling operation will have to take place in the next couple of days as the tree is leaning ever more and the crack in the ground is becoming more pronounced by the day.

Name:  IMG_6127.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  185.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6096.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  206.7 KB

Default Re: URGENT: Tree with squirrel nest must be cut down

Thank you for being concerned about your fluffy tailed friends - your little friend Chip is so cute. I hate that the tree your buddy’s nest is in will have to be cut down. Do you know if there are babies in the nest? If so, hopefully you could talk to the tree cutters before hand and ask them to please try and handle the nest with care so it won’t harm the little ones.

Then if you are able to rescue babies out of the nest, mama will want to come back and get them. A good way to reunite is to put them in a shoe box and attach it to a nearby tree and then stand back a little ways away. It may take a little while, but Mama should hear the babies crying and will most likely come get them before too long if she is able.

The good news is that in the wild squirrels almost always have two nests they alternate between, especially mama squirrels. So most likely once the nest comes down, they can just move to the alternate nest. If only grown squirrels occupy the nest then they should be fine to relocate on their own.

I hope your squirrelly friends will be able to make a smooth transition after the tree comes down.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

stepnstone (08-15-2019), TubeDriver (08-15-2019)

I would imagine they will have to cut some branches/sections before felling the whole tree.
    Asking for consideration for possible babies, I would ask the cutting crew if they would rope and
    lower that particular section.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

lennysmom (08-15-2019), redwuff (08-15-2019), Squirreleesi (08-15-2019), TubeDriver (08-15-2019), UwantSomaThis (08-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    I would imagine they will have to cut some branches/sections before felling the whole tree.
    Asking for consideration for possible babies, I would ask the cutting crew if they would rope and
    lower that particular section.
    ^^ THIS. My stepdad worked for a tree company for ~10yrs and trust me, they don't want to accidentally clip animals while taking a tree down. If you can tell them where the nest is, they shouldn't have a problem carefully cutting that section of tree out and bringing it down safely.

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Squirreleesi:

lennysmom (08-15-2019), stepnstone (08-15-2019), TubeDriver (08-15-2019)

CDRome Guest

The tree fell on its own when I wasn't there. When I returned home I did try to check and see if the nest was still there but couldn't get to that part of the tree. I called Chip several times and about 10 minutes later she showed up on the patio for food, water and some petting. Later, I saw a squirrel take away the babies one by one to another tree. This was all yesterday. I haven't seen Chip today at all but at least I know she's fine! I'm sure she'll show up soon. Thanks again for the advice!

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CDRome:

Diggie's Friend (08-22-2019), Grinderhead (08-17-2019), PennyinBama (09-08-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.