Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from NE Ohio!

Default Re: Greetings from NE Ohio!

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Hi ASOS,

Clydell looks great! He is beautiful. Good job, Momma! Your photos are the bomb!

He is on GMF now. He is now old enough to be switched to FV 20/50. Make sure he is properly transitioned. What is his weight now? How much and how often are you feeding him? You mentioned that he tends to be a bit constipated. Can you explain what you are seeing. Have you checked his bedding for poop. Is he staying hydrated enough?
    Thank you!! Clydell was 76 grams last night. I always weigh him daily after feeding and potties to stay consistent, along with charting every feeding/weight/in&out. He's generally been eating ~4.5cc GMF (fresh GM, greek plain yogurt, heavy whipping cream) every 4-5 hours. He wasn't emptying well about 2-3x since I've had him, but I've done the method recommended on TSB by giving small amounts of water in addition to a drop of baby gasx and stimulating him, and he poops a lot and goes back to normal. I've only found poop in his bed one time and that was after an emptying marathon potty session. His poop is generally a mustard/brown color and firm. It can be pretty lumpy/segmented which makes me feel like he's having trouble. It was more whiteish yellow and soft looking, but this only lasted a day or so. Visually he seems hydrated. should I add water to his formula? I was afraid to do this and deprive him of nutrients.

I will order the FV 20/50 today and do the transition - I'm expecting a shipment from Henry's in the mail today already for bigger miracle syringes (they are the best ever!) and a bag of the hi-protein blocks to get him used to the smell. Any thoughts on his (2) front nails that fell off in the photo? His other nails seem strong and sharp. I believe the (2) nails were from his fingers being pinched or something when he fell from the nest because they were red when I found him. As always, THANK YOU!!! (and I will gladly look at any of your guys' cage examples ) -ASOS

Here is his overwinter cage that was picked up this past weekend. It's about 5.5' tall x 2' x 3'. Clydell was 78g at lunch just now! I threw a picture of our chart and scale too

Name:  IMG_20190905_141434.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  125.1 KBName:  IMG_20190905_141346.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  98.6 KB

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Asos from:

island rehabber (09-07-2019)

Great looking cage. It will be fun to see it outfitted with cage gear. Some of the best cage gear I have seen is Milos Mom Auntie M&M. You will have fun.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Asos (09-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Asos View Post
    Thank you!! Clydell was 76 grams last night. I always weigh him daily after feeding and potties to stay consistent, along with charting every feeding/weight/in&out. He's generally been eating ~4.5cc GMF (fresh GM, greek plain yogurt, heavy whipping cream) every 4-5 hours. He wasn't emptying well about 2-3x since I've had him, but I've done the method recommended on TSB by giving small amounts of water in addition to a drop of baby gasx and stimulating him, and he poops a lot and goes back to normal. I've only found poop in his bed one time and that was after an emptying marathon potty session. His poop is generally a mustard/brown color and firm. It can be pretty lumpy/segmented which makes me feel like he's having trouble. It was more whiteish yellow and soft looking, but this only lasted a day or so. Visually he seems hydrated. should I add water to his formula? I was afraid to do this and deprive him of nutrients.

I will order the FV 20/50 today and do the transition - I'm expecting a shipment from Henry's in the mail today already for bigger miracle syringes (they are the best ever!) and a bag of the hi-protein blocks to get him used to the smell. Any thoughts on his (2) front nails that fell off in the photo? His other nails seem strong and sharp. I believe the (2) nails were from his fingers being pinched or something when he fell from the nest because they were red when I found him. As always, THANK YOU!!! (and I will gladly look at any of your guys' cage examples ) -ASOS
    Redwuff -- any recommendations on the above?

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Asos from:

redwuff (09-06-2019)

Redwuff -- any recommendations on the above?
    It sounds like the constipation is occasional. I really like how alert you are to it. When he appears to need help you might give a couple times a day some sugar water. Sugar is an irritant to the colon and will draw water to it. You are about to do a formula change, transition slowly and be alert for stool changes. Should not be an issue.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

This size cage is what I move my 6-7 weekers in while they are learning to use their body. It has a hanging hammock and a stick they can practice balance without falling too far.

Name:  57238BAE-C671-439F-BE30-50A54B6FE737.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  107.8 KBName:  2B6EA728-1C4A-4F7B-9B5A-85D5E635C9A3.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  102.5 KB
    redwuff
    State Licensed

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Asos (09-06-2019), JLM27 (09-13-2019)

Gahh!!! That baby! I have him in a normal cat carrier now and I'm anxiously waiting for his little peepers to open -- I could probably borrow a smaller temporary cage or find one cheap on Facebook marketplace (where I got his overwinter cage). FV 20/50 is ordered and I'll look around on the board for a transition breakdown! Thank youu!!

omg he is beautiful. Adorable
    redwuff
    State Licensed

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Asos (09-07-2019)

Hello!
    Baby Clydell is doing great and opened his little peepers last night -- he will be 6 weeks old tomorrow! He's also adjusting well to the FV 20/50.
    Name:  IMG_20190912_084951_447.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  106.4 KB

New question! An acquaintance has found a baby black squirrel we will call Beans. I haven't met Beans yet but I have offered to take him (they aren't sure of the sex due to being unfamiliar with squirrels), and I'll be meeting him tonight. He looks to be slightly older than Clydell, but I am not sure if Clyde is delayed from not having real momma's milk since he was a day or two old? The only photo I have of Beans is below. Tail looks a bit more bushy from what I can tell, but still small, eyes open.
    Name:  63e7f3d4d6d945efa6fcec4d2de1af28.0-2.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  52.3 KB
    Beans was on someone's porch yesterday evening. They left him alone for about 3 hours to see if mom would come back but we had a pretty decent storm, she never showed, and Beans never left. They've kept him warm and hydrated. He sounds like he's taking the fluid very eagerly but is overall a scared little ball.

1.) How old can babies be put together before they won't get along?
    2.) How long should I keep them separated before introducing?
    3.) What is the best way to introduce them?
    4.) What behavior should I watch for to indicate they would need separated?

As always - you guys are the best! Any help is appreciated! -Amy

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Asos:

Nancy in New York (09-12-2019), TubeDriver (09-12-2019)

Hi Amy,

Clydell looks terrific. What I usually do is have a clean bin or cage to put them in, feed them, and put them in together. Since bean is new, you might want to keep them separate for a few days till you can see if he is healthy. Don’t forget to check for fleas and fly eggs.

Can’t wait to see more pictures of bean!
    redwuff
    State Licensed

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Asos (09-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Hi Amy,

Clydell looks terrific. What I usually do is have a clean bin or cage to put them in, feed them, and put them in together. Since bean is new, you might want to keep them separate for a few days till you can see if he is healthy. Don’t forget to check for fleas and fly eggs.

Can’t wait to see more pictures of bean!
    Thank you! I washed an old mascara brush and comb Clydell with it. He makes the cutest noises now and wants me to scratch his arm pits!

I will keep them separate for at least 48 hours or so to monitor Bean. Luckily it's almost the weekend so I can watch closer. I have flea combs and such to check for hitch hikers, I'm assuming Dawn dish soap if necessary is ok. I'll post photos to help determine age - from what I know, my amateur guess is going to be 7 or 8 weeks. Stay tuned!

Name:  IMG_20190912_210209.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  94.6 KB
    Welcome Bean! Bean is actually a girl! She feels thin but not emaciated. She weighs 109g and is going potty on her own. Age estimate? Her tail has fluffed a little and is way more sense than Clydell's. Clyde was 107g today.

I pulled a tick off of her but I don't see any other bugs or eggs anywhere. Should I be concerned about any mites or bugs? Should I bathe her to be safe? She voraciously ate about 6cc of diluted fv 20/50 (50/50 water)

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Asos from:

Nancy in New York (09-12-2019)

Name:  IMG_20190912_210209.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  94.6 KB
    Welcome Bean! Bean is actually a girl! She feels thin but not emaciated. She weighs 109g and is going potty on her own. Age estimate? Her tail has fluffed a little and is way more dense than Clydell's. Clyde was 107g today.

I pulled a tick off of her but I don't see any other bugs or eggs anywhere. Should I be concerned about any mites or bugs? Should I bathe her to be safe? She voraciously ate about 6cc of diluted fv 20/50 (50/50 water)
    Bean did great overnight and she was caught nibbling on her Henry's block this morning! She was 120g after feeding this morning as well. (see questions above)

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Asos:

JLM27 (09-13-2019), redwuff (09-13-2019)

Anyone?

Asos,

Bean is very interesting. She has the tail development of either a dwarf (dwarfs have crazy amount of fur and tail development)or a seven rising eight week old. She’s small for her age? but that sounds like that will change. I would put her at 61/2-7 weeks, but that is a rough guess.

Bathing her would only help with fleas. If she scratches a lot, then you need a few drops of ivermectin or revolution for mites.

We are all jealous. We love melanistic greys.

When you are ready to put them together most likely they will do fine.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

If you found a tick, a bath in Dawn would probably be a good idea. When she is wet it might be easier to find additional ticks. It would help with fleas or mites.

Based on that gorgeous fluffy tail I would say about 7 weeks. Beautiful!

At that age a bath will be a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    If you found a tick, a bath in Dawn would probably be a good idea. When she is wet it might be easier to find additional ticks. It would help with fleas or mites.

Based on that gorgeous fluffy tail I would say about 7 weeks. Beautiful!

At that age a bath will be a challenge.
    Thank you Redwuff & HRT4SQRLS! Yeah her fur and tail are SO THICK! Kent, OH is know for our black squirrels they're EVERYWHERE! I have a tattoo of one for my hometown love I'll attempt to give little Bean a bath tonight, mostly for my own peace of mind. She loves being combed and rubbed. I can't wait for Clydell and her to be snuggle bugs. More photos to come!

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Asos from:

redwuff (09-13-2019)

I’m moving to Kent, Ohio!
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Haha! Its great look up "Kent squirrel" in Google images.. you'll see!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast